Author Topic: Building a powerful "core" druid...  (Read 17338 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Building a powerful "core" druid...
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »
Note bolded parts.

1) Are you trying to argue that if he saves against the Suggestion effect he is immune for 24 hours? Because it only says that about the Fascinate part. It's arguable, but technically the Bard can continue the Fascinate and Suggest at will until it works. Over and over.

2) Ah, well shucks. I had thought asking them to do something obviously harmful just gave them a bonus to their saving throw. But still, with an infinite number of Suggestions and some creative thinking even "reasonable" suggestions are going to eventually kill the Druid. The PHB even gives an example of very lethal type of suggestion that is "legit" - telling them to take a refreshing dip in a pool of acid.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »
1) Are you trying to argue that if he saves against the Suggestion effect he is immune for 24 hours? Because it only says that about the Fascinate part. It's arguable, but technically the Bard can continue the Fascinate and Suggest at will until it works. Over and over.
I'm just saying that you don't automatically become Suggestion fodder when Fascinated. The Bard has to overcome your considerable will save. And as for doing to over and over, he can only do it for as long as he can perform. I'm just going to say that people can't really perform all day, and if the DM rules that the bard can, that's blatant favoritism.

2) Ah, well shucks. I had thought asking them to do something obviously harmful just gave them a bonus to their saving throw. But still, with an infinite number of Suggestions and some creative thinking even "reasonable" suggestions are going to eventually kill the Druid. The PHB even gives an example of very lethal type of suggestion that is "legit" - telling them to take a refreshing dip in a pool of acid.
1d6 damage, breaks effect.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2010, 01:17:38 AM »
I'm just saying that you don't automatically become Suggestion fodder when Fascinated. The Bard has to overcome your considerable will save. And as for doing to over and over, he can only do it for as long as he can perform. I'm just going to say that people can't really perform all day, and if the DM rules that the bard can, that's blatant favoritism.

I'd agree with you there, but I'm just trying to give a heads up to Chuck here. When I hear "I'll totally stomp your Druid with my Core Bard" this is the kind of junk I'm expecting.

Quote from: Solo
1d6 damage, breaks effect.

Very arguable, and pretty much up to the DM. The spell says "asking" them to do something obviously harmful breaks it. It makes no mention of it breaking the effect if they are harmed as a result of a "reasonable" suggestion that they succumb to. However, depending on the nature of the suggestion it might end up granting them an extra save against the Fascinate effect, however it isn't likely to succeed and even if it does, that's the end of the Druid's turn and the Bard just has to spend one more Bardic Music to begin again (and he's got a whole lot of these).

charleskoz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
So, at 20th level, a Bard with 23 ranks in Perform, 32 Charisma, a masterwork instrument, and Skill Focus (Perform) has +39 to his Perform skill check before he even rolls, so good luck making that Will save. Further, the Mass Suggestion effects don't even use up his Bardic Music uses, so he uses one for Fascinate, which you will fail the save to, then he proceeds to pile Mass Suggestions on you and your Animal Companion until you kill each other or yourselves. The save DC for those are normal (10+1/2 Bard Level+Charisma modifier), but since they don't break the Fascinate effect, and since he can do it at will, you'll eventually lose.
Thanks for the explanation.

I doubt he would try that. He's not malicious, and he has a strong sense of fairness -- winning that way wouldn't really prove anything other than that bards have a broken ability. Same reason I am trying to win without using Shapechange, or other cheesy moves like summoning a swarm of invisible pixies casting Otto's Irresistible Dance. :)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 04:57:16 AM »
summoning a swarm of invisible pixies casting Otto's Irresistible Dance. :)

Aha! Now you're talkin'!

charleskoz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
Still working on this, going to try another skirmish this evening.

I'm trying to find some decent core-only high-level wild shape forms and not doing too well. Already done the dinosaurs, someone said there were better options, any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
Treant?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

charleskoz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2010, 05:14:49 PM »
Looks pretty weak. I'm going to be trying to hit things possibly with ACs over 40.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »
Looks pretty weak. I'm going to be trying to hit things possibly with ACs over 40.

Shouldn't be a problem. You do use your own BAB after all, + lots of buffs.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]