Author Topic: [3.5] Gladiator  (Read 3940 times)

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
[3.5] Gladiator
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
This is mostly a reworking of the Gladiator class out of Kingdoms of Kalamar. I decided to alter and add in abilities to make the class similar in construction to a Warlock, but fueled by Attacks of Opportunity. The class itself is able to use every weapon pretty well, single out opponents for bonuses, and do silly things with attacks of opportunity.

I have tested this class out a bit before, it ran alright. It turned fantastic once I started using all of its attacks of opportunity to smack things around. Had an interesting battle where everyone in my party decided to start disarming a bunch of orcs. It didn't work out well for the orcs, but they broke my wagon.

I've since then altered a few things. Notably, increasing the duration of certain things, Adding a bunch more Acts of Opportunity to select, and adding in the fighter bonus feats.

Any comments/critique/suggestions to help this thing along would be great.
-------------------------------------------------------

Level           Ability                           Act of Opportunity

1       Exotic weapon proficiency, Center       0
        of Attention, Illiteracy

2       Arena Veteran +1, Feint Bonus           1

3       Ferocious Style                               1

4       Weapon Diversification                     2

5       Arena Veteran +2,                           3
         Fighter Bonus Feat

6       Improved Feint                                3

7       Impressive Style                              4

8       Arena Veteran +3, Improved              5
         Weapon Diversification   

9       Fighter Bonus Feat                          5

10       Critical Focus                                6

11       Arena Veteran +4                         7

12       Notorious Style                             7

13       Fighter Bonus Feat                         8

14       Arena Veteran +5                           9

15       Legendary Style                             9

16                                                        10

17       Arena Veteran +6,                        11
          Fighter Bonus Feat

18                                                       11

19       Epic Style                                   12

20       Arena Veteran +7                         13

Hit Die: d10

Good BAB

Good Fortitude and Reflex saves, Poor Will save

Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Local), Martial Lore (Int),  Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Skill points per level: 4+int (x4 at first level)

Weapon and armor proficiencies: All simple and martial melee weapons. All light and medium armors and shields (except tower shields)

Act of opportunity (Ex): See bottom

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Ex)
: Gain feat of the same name

Center of Attention (Ex): For each factor of 10 of people in an audience watching you, you gain a +1 morale bonus on all attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. An audience is any group of non-participants in your current activity dedicated to observing. You may make a DC 10 charisma check as a full-round action to make any passive observers active observers.

Illiteracy: you do not know how to read or write. You may spend two skill points to learn how.

Arena Veteran (Ex): you gain a number of additional attacks of opportunity and a bonus on the attack roll for all attacks of opportunity equal to the indicated bonus

Feint Bonus (Ex): you gain a bonus to all bluff rolls used to feint an attack and a bonus to all sense motive checks to notice a feint attempt equal to your gladiator level

Ferocious Style (Ex)Weapon Diversification (Ex): you only take a -2 penalty for non-proficiency with a weapon

Fighter Bonus Feat: At the indicated levels, select one fighter bonus feat from which you qualify.

Improved Feint (Ex): Gain feat of the same name

Impressive Style (Su): If you successfully deal damage with a melee attack, you may give up one attack of opportunity for the rest of the day to use this ability. You treat the opponent as the only active opponent. Other opponents must make a will save at DC 10+1/2 your gladiator level+your charisma modifier in order to attack you. This lasts for one minute or until either you attack another opponent or the desegnated opponent is defeated.

Improved Weapon Diversity (Ex): you take no penalty for non-proficiency with weapons

Critical Focus (Ex): the critical range and multiplier both increase by 1 when fighting a single opponent for three or more rounds without attacking or being attacked by another opponent, or if there is only one active opponent. This does stack with effects such as improved critical and the keen weapon enhancement.

Notorious Style (Su): By taking a standard action , all opponents within 40 ft must make a will save at DC 10+the gladiators class level+your charisma modifier. Opponents that fail this save are shaken. Opponents that fail the save by five or more are frightened. Opponents that fail by ten or more are panicked. These effects persist as long as the opponent remains within 40 ft of the gladiator and one round afterward.

Legendary Style (Ex): If an opponent would provoke an attack of opportunity, you may give up one attack of opportunity for the rest of the day to use this ability. Make an attack of opportunity as normal. If the attack hits, instead of dealing damage the opponent makes a fortitude save (DC 10+the gladiator's class level+your charisma modifier). If the opponent fails the save, he is staggered. If he fails by five or more, he is stunned. If he fails by 10 or more, he is rendered helpless. These effects persist for one round (until the end of the opponent's next turn).

Epic Style (Ex): Your attacks automatically overcome damage reduction, ignore any miss chance and deal an additional amount of nonlethal damage equal to the amount of normal damage dealt when fighting a single opponent for three or more rounds without attacking or being attacked by another opponent or if there is only one active opponent.

Act of Opportunity (Ex): you may spend attacks of opportunity in order to gain differing effects. You may not spend more attacks of opportunity than your Arena Veteran bonus in a single round. Attacks of opportunity spent in this way decrease your available attacks of opportunity by that amount for 5 rounds. These abilities may be used as free actions at any time and last for a single round unless stated otherwise in their description.

You gain a number of Acts of Opportunity each level as listed in the table. At each level you gain an increase to your Arena Veteran bonus, you may swap one selected Act of Opportunity for another.

[spoiler]Pride: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. Gain that number as a morale bonus on all skill or ability checks made for a number of rounds equal to your Arena Veteran bonus.

Ferocity: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. Gain twice that number as a morale bonus on all damage rolls made for a number of rounds equal to your Arena Veteran bonus.

Focus: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. Gain that number as a morale bonus on all attack rolls made for a number of rounds equal to your Arena Veteran bonus.

Cover: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. Gain that number as a morale bonus on all your saves for a number of rounds equal to your Arena Veteran bonus.

Movement: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. Move 5 ft for each attack of opportunity spent.

Speed: Spend any number of attacks of opportunity. You gain that number x5ft as a morale bonus to speed for all your modes of movement for rounds equal to your Arena Veteran bonus.

Terror:Spend an attack of opportunity. Make an intimidation check to demoralize an opponent as a free action.

Overreach:Spend an attack of opportunity. Your natural reach increases by 5ft until the end of the round. This increase does not stack with itself.

Sand in your eyes: Spend two attacks of opportunity. Make a ranged touch attack as a standard action against a single opponent within 15 ft. If you succeed, they must make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 your gladiator class level+ your charisma modifier) or be blinded for a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus. You must have access to sand, dirt, dust, ash, or any sort of loose, granular substance in order to use this ability.

Expert Feint: Spend two attacks of opportunity. You may make a feint attempt as a free action.

Awe: Spend two attacks of opportunity. As a standard action, a target opponent within 60ft must make a will save (DC 10+half your gladiator class level+ your charisma modifier) or be dazzled and treated as if under the effect of the spell silence for a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus. The character under this effect may repeat the save at the beginning of each of their rounds to end the effect early.

Low Blow: Spend two attacks of opportunity. Make a melee touch attack as a standard action against an opponent. If you succeed, they must make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 your gladiator class level+ your charisma modifier) or be sickened for a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus. Spend an additional two attacks of opportunity to make the opponent nauseated instead.

Attract attention: Spend two attacks of opportunity. As a standard action, target an opponent within 10 ft/gladiator level. They must attempt a will save (DC 10+half your gladiator class level+ your charisma modifier) or take a penalty equal to your arena veteran bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, and ability checks unless that attack or action specifically applies to you. This lasts until a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus. Using this ability automatically makes the target aware of your presence.

Opportunist: Spend two attacks of opportunity. Whenever an ally damages an opponent with a melee attack this round, you may make an attack of opportunity against that opponent.

Purify: Spend three attacks of opportunity. End one ongoing effect currently affecting you as a standard action. You may end additional effects by spending two attacks of opportunity each. These effects can be any spell, ability, or condition lasting one or more rounds.

Disruption: Spend three attacks of opportunity. You may use this act of opportunity only if an opponent within 50ft attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability. Make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon. If the attack hits, the caster makes a concentration check as normal with an increase to the DC equal to your gladiator level.

ParryExpert Trip: Spend three attacks of opportunity. Make a trip attempt as a free action.

Expert Disarm: Spend three attacks of opportunity. Make a disarm attempt as a free action.

Vigor: Spend four attacks of opportunity. Gain temporary hit points equal to your gladiator level. These hit points last for a number of minutes equal to your arena veteran bonus

Defense: Spend four attacks of opportunity. Gain DR x/- equal to twice your arena veteran bonus for a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus.

Resistance: Spend four attacks of opportunity. Select an energy type. You gain resistance 5 to that energy type for a number of rounds equal to your arena veteran bonus. You may spend any number of additional attacks of opportunity to increase this resistance by 5 for each extra spent. [/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: [3.5] Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »
I would play this. Kinda looks broken with a combo of Combat Reflexes+Evasive Reflexes though.

And it would be waaaaaaaay overpowered come epic, where it gets infinite AoOs (Improved Combat Reflexes)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »
Acts of Opportunity is a great mechanic that they could have used in the original design of 3.5 to give much more depth and versatility to melee right from the get go. Well done. Consequently I've used a similar mechanic when I rewrote dozens of feats, whereby you spend AoO's to produce a variety of effects, but you have to spend feats to get them. I like your idea better - building them directly into the class.

Also, Amechra, why would it be broken?

Quote from: Cannotthink
You may not spend more attacks of opportunity than your Arena Veteran bonus in a single round. Attacks of opportunity spent in this way decrease your available attacks of opportunity by that amount for 5 rounds.

It has a built in cap per round of 7 maximum and after spending the AoOs you don't get to use them for 5 rounds. That seems like a pretty steep drawback in itself, and definitely curbs any abuse that would be gained from having Infinite AoOs. And I'm not seeing how Combat Reflexes+Evasive Reflexes does for this class that it doesn't do for any other class.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:57:44 PM by bkdubs123 »

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:23:03 AM »
I'm happy I've created something someone would be willing to try out themselves.

Admittedly, the epic infinite attacks of opportunity would get pretty silly with the class. But Arena Veteran does limit a lot of what can be done, even with extending the progression into epic levels it is pretty restrained. Without that cap, it would become supremely stupid such as using the acts of 'movement' and 'expert disarm' to strip everyone in the universe naked.

On that note, what are the thoughts on the individual Acts of Opportunity. Are they appropriate for when they're usable? Are they things that are worth spending AoO's on? Are there any that are screaming "abuse me"?

The only one that I have actually toned down is 'overreach' due to the fact that I could not justify somebody stapping with a knife from 40 feet away or spiked chain from 80 without magic or yoga or something. 'Movement' is another that may be troublesome.