Author Topic: Divine Champion (Holy Asskicker) - (PEACH, FINISHED!)  (Read 1377 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Divine Champion (Holy Asskicker) - (PEACH, FINISHED!)
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
As the title says, this is a work in progress. I've been busy the past few days, so I haven't been able to work on it much - and all the while the inspiration for this class has been slipping away.
I'm hoping that posting this thing and getting some critiques on what I have so far will help me finish it, so... er... PEACH? :D

Design note: I figure I can always reel the power back if this class is too powerful, so when crafting the abilities I tried to make every power at least remotely impressive for its level. If I've failed in this, or if the class is too powerful, I'd like to know. Thanks in advance. :)

Divine ChampionAlignment: Good
HD: d10
Skill Points: 4+int
Skills:

Class Features:

Proficiencies: the Divine Champion is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, and with all shield (except tower shields).

Divine Fervor:
Aspects: At first level, and every odd level, a Divine Champion selects an aspect of his deity to add unto himself. At eleventh level and above, he may select aspects from the greater aspect list. These traits have permanent, passive effects on the Divine Champion, but also allow him to spend his divine fervor to access special abilities.

[spoiler]
Aspect of Agility - This aspect grants the Divine Champion a divine bonus to AC against evil creatures equal to his charisma modifier. Furthermore, he can choose to spend one point of divine fervor to increase his movement speed by 5ft+5ft/Divine Champion level for one round.

Aspect of KnowledgeAspect of MercyAspect of PersistenceAspect of Resilience - This aspect grants the Divine Champion DR/non-evil equal to his charisma bonus at all times. He can spend a point of divine fervor to turn his damage reduction to charisma modifier/-- for a number of rounds equal to his class level. When he does this, his damage reduction becomes doubly effective versus evil creatures.

Aspect of WrathGreater Aspects: All Greater Aspects require that the Divine Champion has taken their lesser form.

[spoiler]
Greater Aspect of Agility - This aspect grants the Divine Champion a passive bonus to move speed equal to 5ft/the  number of divine fervor points he currently possesses. In addition, the Divine Champion may spend two divine fervor points to teleport up to 10ft per class level in any direction as a move action.

Greater Aspect of KnowledgeGreater Aspect of MercyGreater Aspect of Persistence - This aspect turns the Divine Champion into a walking hindrance to evil, slowing all evil creatures within a 15ft radius. Any evil creature that enters the range of this effect must make a will save (DC = 10+ Class level + charisma modifier) or have their move speed decreased by 5ft/cha. In addition, the Divine Champion may choose to spend 4 points of divine fervor whenever he strikes a creature in melee combat to cast Dimensional Anchor on the foe.

Greater Aspect of Resilience
Greater Aspect of Wrath - This aspect creates an aura of wrath surrounding the Divine Champion. This aura has a range of 30ft and deals his charisma modifier in damage to evil creatures every round. Furthermore he can spend 4 points of divine fervor to intensify this aura, forcing all evil creatures less than half his level to make a fortitude save or die, and dealing his Divine Champion level + his charisma modifier in damage to foes who save, have sufficient hit die not to need to save, or morally neutral. Intensifying this aura requires a full round action, though he can maintain the intensity every round thereafter by spending 2 divine fervor points as a swift action.
[/spoiler]

Channel Divinity: At second level, and every even-numbered level thereafter, the Divine Champion can choose a piece of his deity to channel. When he manifests this ability, a portion of his god manifests in his body, shaping it to become more like his deity. All Channeling abilities require a full-round action and an audible prayer or oath to activate, and have a powerful outward effect that happens instantly followed by more internal changes that last until the Divine Champion channels another aspect of his deity. Activating Channel Divinity costs 4 divine fervor points.
All channeling abilities automatically dismiss at the end of combat.

[spoiler]

Channel Agility - Channeling Agility creates a whirlwind with a 15ft radius centered on the Divine Champion. This powerful wind lasts one round and harries all creatures within its range (besides the Champion himself), forcing a reflex save (DC10+cha) to resist being knocked prone. Until he channels another aspect, the Divine Champion gains a +2 divine bonus to dexterity, as well as one additional attack when making a full-round attack.

Channel Knowledge - Channeling Knowledge allows the Divine Champion to instantly become aware of all evil creatures within 30ft. This effect happens instantaneously. Until he channels another aspect, the champion gains a +2 divine bonus to wisdom, as well as blindsense out to 15ft.

Channel MercyChannel Persistence - When the Divine Champion channels Persistence, he gains the effects of a Freedom of Movement spell until the end of his next turn. Until he channels another aspect, he gains a +2 divine bonus to wisdom as well as a divine bonus equal to 1/3 his class level (minimum +1) on all checks to avoid or escape grappling, trip attempts, and spells whose effects restrain movement.

Channel Resilience - When the Divine Champion channels Resilience, the next attack that would deal damage to him is completely negated. Until he channels another aspect, he gains a +2 divine bonus to constitution, as well as a divine bonus to all saves equal to 1/3 his class level (minimum of +1).

Channel WrathGreater Channelings: These are activated via the same methods as normal chanelings, but cost eight points to activate. Selecting a Greater Channeling requires that you have taken its lesser version. Activating a Greater Channeling grants the effect of its lesser version in addition to the new effects described.

[spoiler]

Channel Greater Agility - Channeling Greater Agility grants the Divine Champion another full-round action on the same turn. Until he channels another aspect, the champion can be in two places at once so long as those two places are within his current move speed from each other, effectively creating a tethered double of himself. This second representation of him appears in an adjacent space. Both he and his double share the same HP pool, as well as the same divine fervor pool.
At the end of his turn, the Divine Champion chooses one of the two locations he currently occupies to remain in until his next turn. When his turn begins again, his double re-appears in a space adjacent to him.

Channel Greater Knowledge - Channeling Greater Knowledge allows the Divine Champion to rip knowledge directly from all opponents within 30ft. All creatures with an intelligence score of 3 or greater must make a will save (DC=class level+charisma modifier). Until he channels another aspect, the Divine Champion gains Blindsight out to 60ft. Any enemy spellcasters within this range are suppressed by his presence, requiring a concentration check (DC15+class level+charisma modifier) to successfully cast any spell.

Channel Greater Mercy - Channeling Greater Mercy allows the Divine Champion to remove a curse from an ally within 30ft. Until he channels another aspect, the Divine Champion heals one creature within 30ft any time he deals damage to a foe (healing an amount equal to the damage done). He may designate the target to be healed as a free action. This ability may be directed at undead and other creatures harmed by positive energy, as destroying such an abomination is considered a mercy. Any living creature slain by the Divine Champion while in this mode is not truly dead until a number of rounds equal to his class level. Until the end of this duration, they hang in the balance between life and death, and as such may not be resurrected, to be judged as the champion sees fit. A champion may specify in advance whether or not the creature lives or dies at the end of the duration, and can change this decision any time until the duration of the ability runs out.
Creatures spared are restored to 0HP, and remain unconscious for 1d4 hours unless treated.

Channel Greater PersistenceChannel Greater Resilience - Channeling Greater Resilience renders the Divine Champion completely invincible until the end of his next turn. Until he channels another aspect, he gains DR/-- equal to his class level. In addition, he cannot be rendered unconscious (unless he decides it would be beneficial to be so, in which case all effects of this ability end) and cannot be slain until he reaches his negative maximum HP.

Channel Greater Wrath - Channeling Greater Wrath causes two ethereal hands fit for a colossal-sized creature to burst from the flesh of an opponent within 30ft of you, forcing the foe to make a fortitude save (DC=Class Level+charisma) or die instantly. Even if he succeeds on the save, he takes 1d6 positive energy damage for every level the channeler has in the Divine Champion class (doubled vs. undead, does not heal the living). Regardless of the outcome of the save, the Divine Champion gains control of the two ethereal hands - meaning that he can attack, grapple, and otherwise manipulate matter with them. He cannot attack with both the ethereal hands and his own arms at the same time, though. These hands are linked to the champion so that they have a thirty-foot reach centered him, and on only come into contact with solid objects the character wishes to effect.  If the character is currently wielding a weapon, a colossal-sized replica appears in the ethereal hands.
[/spoiler]

Divine Avatar: Once per day, a Divine Champion of 20th level or higher can activate all of his Greater Channelings at the same time, paying divine fervor as though activating a single Greater Channeling.  This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to 1/2 his class level.

Thanks for reading. Critiques, comments, and ideas always appreciated. :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:09:13 AM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Divine Champion (Holy Asskicker) - (PEACH, WIP)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:35 AM »
Since your class obviously isn't finished yet, I'm not going to comment on it just at this moment.

...then why am I making this post?  I'm posting to ask kindly that you not host your files on Google Docs.  I would recommend using a service such as 4shared or scribd instead.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »
Any particular reason why? Formatting issues?

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:06 AM »
Primarily because I don't need to subscribe to look at it.  Also, I'm not a huge fan of Google anymore.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
you can share docs from google without having people subscribe to see them. I do it all the time.

While the class isn't done yet it does look interesting. I also like how it is very building block like so that you can have several people all with the same class and still end up as different characters. Once you finish putting up the abilities i'll look at them all closer to see if there are some that jump out as too strong or too weak.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
X-Codes - I have it set to "published", so you shouldn't need to be signed in to view it. I just tested it by signing out and clicking the link; it worked just fine.

Archangel.arcanis - Thanks. The building-block design has been a theme in most of my homebrew stuff lately (though I hardly get around to posting anything nowadays) precisely for that reason. It makes classes take a lot more effort to design, though, which is why I'm taking forever to finish it. I'm finding Channel Mercy particularly elusive simply because I need to keep it from being redundant.

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
Re: Divine Champion (Holy Asskicker) - (PEACH, FINISHED!)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:12:21 AM »
Apologies for the double-post. I just thought I'd inform anyone who was interested in this class that it is now finished... well... all the abilities are up. It's still unbalanced as hell, I'm sure.

To allow further diversity among members of this class, I'm considering adding new aspects and channelings after seeing how this thing fairs.

Just noting again: I shot for overpowered because I can always scale things back. Please tear this thing to shreds. Tell me what you like, what you dislike, and what you're unsure about. In addition to being a high-tier class, I'd like this thing to be fun to play. That's the point of the game, after all.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:15:20 AM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games: