Author Topic: Building a Bloodstorm Blade with some Homebrew  (Read 1453 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Building a Bloodstorm Blade with some Homebrew
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:33:48 AM »
Intro
The campaign starts at ECL1.  Assume all 3.5 material is allowed with "Dragon" and custom stuff allowed pending DM approval.

This character is meant to be a 'tank.'  Though tanking in 3.5 doesn't work that much, I want him to be a serious threat with bull rushes and thrown weapons.  Thus; Warblade into Bloodstorm Blade is the thing.  Add the Shock Trooper feat (Complete Warrior 112) and Pounce and I can full atttack at the end of a charge and treat my thrown attacks as melee attacks.

How can I get a longer than 10' range on thrown weapons?

Rules and Notes
-Maneuvers and stances assume prereqs are waived.

-Power Attack and Combat Reflexes are no longer prerequisites for most feats.

-Quick Draw and Spell Mastery are given to everyone for free.

-Pounce and Powerful Build are each a feat and each has no prereqs.

-Level-Headed Berserker is a new feat.  When berserking (raging, frenzying, etc.), you may treat yourself as either berserking or not berserking as it benefits you.

-Practiced Initiator it a new feat.  Your IL equals your HD in all cases.

-Basic Marksmanship is a new feat which combines Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, among some other minor benefits.

-Especially Swift is a new feat which grants one extra swift or immediate action each turn.

-Dispelling Strike is a new feat which allows your physical attacks to activate greater dispel magic with a CL equal to your BAB.

-Warblades get a new stance at 1, 5, 10, and 15.

-Crusaders get a new stance at 1, 2, 5, 11, and 15.

-We use a houseruled Bloodstorm Blade which gets new maneuvers and stances from the Iron Heart discipline at the same rate as a Ruby Knight Vindicator.  Also, this BB can use any Iron Heart maneuver with Martial Throw.

Stats (32 Point Buy)
16 STR  (16 base)                      [10 Points]
14 DEX  (14 base)                      [6  Points]
14 CON  (14 base)                      [6  Points]
12 INT  (12 base)                      [4  Points]
14 WIS  (14 base)                      [6  Points]
08 CHA  (8  base)

Build
Human Warblade1/Cloistered Cleric1 (Elf Domain, Knowledge Devotion, Time Domain)/Whirl Barbarian1/Swordsage1/Crusader1/Bloodstorm Blade4/Psychic Warrior+1/Warblade+9/Crusader1

1:  {Aggressive}, {Murky-Eyed], {Shaky}
1:  Damaging Knockback: +d6 damage for every 10' of forced movement, +d6 if target knocked prone, Improved Bull Rush, Pounce, Sliding Rush: You may bull rush targets up to 45 degrees away from straight and you need not move with them
2:  [Elf Domain: Basic Marksmanship], [Knowledge Devotion], [Time Domain: Improved Initiative]
3:  [Fast Movement], Practiced Initiator, [Whirling Frenzy]
4:  [+1 Init], [Weapon Focus]
5:  [Delay 5 Damage]
6:  Power Attack, [Returning Attacks: Spend a readied Iron Heart maneuver to turn a thrown attack into a returning attack], [Throw Anything]
7:  [Martial Throw: Initiate an Iron Heart maneuver with a thrown weapon], [Thunderous Throw: Use swift action to treat all thrown attacks as melee attacks this turn]
8:  [Shock Trooper: Charge, bull rush, throw weapon while power attacking, trip, catch weapon, laugh]
9:  Especially Swift, [Lightning Ricochet: Full attack with thrown weapons]
10: [Mage Slayer OR Powerful Build]
11: [Uncanny Dodge]
12: [Battle Ardor: Add INT bonus to confirm crits], Powerful Build OR Mage Slayer
13:
14: [#WARBLADE BONUS FEAT#]
15: [Improved Uncanny Dodge], $FIGHTER BONUS FEAT$
16:
17: [Battle Cunning: +INT bonus to damage vs. sneak attackable (flanked or flat-foot) foes]
18:
19: [#WARBLADE BONUS FEAT#]
20: [Battle Skill: +INT bonus vs. combat maneuvers (bull rush, trip, etc.)]

$FIGHTER BONUS FEAT POOL$
-Damaging Knockback: +d6 damage for every 10' of forced movement, +d6 if target knocked prone

-Dispelling Strike (Requires Mage Slayer): As a swift action, you may activate this ability.  When active, you may attempt to dispel AC boosting magic from the target as per greater dispel magic.  Your CL = your BAB.

-Knockback: Add Power Attack damage bonus to bull rush attempts

-Mage Slayer: HP damage you deal until the start of your next turn is considered ongoing damage for purpose of Concentration checks

-Martial Stance

-Martial Study: Probably Shadow Blink

-Weapon Focus

Psychic Warrior Powers
Level  4/PsyWar 1/Manifester Level 1: Vigor
Level 10/PsyWar 2/Manifester Level 2: Expansion

Stances & Maneuvers
[spoiler]
Stances
W01/L01     Punishing Stance (IH)
S01/L04     Island of Blades (SH)
C01/L05     Thicket of Blades (DS)
B01/L06     Absolute Steel Stance (IH)
W05/L13     Hearing the Air (DM)
W10/L18     Stance of Alacrity (DM)

Maneuvers
W01/L01     Charging Minotaur (SD)
            Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
            Steel Wind (IH)
S01/L04     Action Before Thought (DM)
            Burning Brand (DW)
            Distracting Ember (DW)
            Emerald Razor (DM)
            Flashing Sun (DW)
            Shadow Jaunt (SH)
C01/L05     Crusader's Strike (DS)
            Foehammer (DS)
            Revitalizing Strike (DS)
            Vanguard Strike (DS)
            White Raven Tactics (WR)
B02/L07     !MANEUVER! (IH)
B04/L09     !MANEUVER! (IH)
W03/L11     !MANEUVER!
W05/L13     !MANEUVER!
W07/L15     Raging Mongoose (TC)
W09/L17     Time Stands Still (DM)
W11/L19     !MANEUVER!

!MANEUVER! Pool
LEVEL 4
Lightning Recovery (IH)
Mithral Tornado (IH)

LEVEL 5
Dazing Strike (IH)
Iron Heart Focus (IH)

LEVEL 6
Moment of Alacrity (DM)
Rallying Strike (DS)

LEVEL 7
Clarion Call (WR)
Scything Blade (IH)
Shadow Blink (SH)

LEVEL 8
Adamantine Hurricane (IH)
White Raven Hammer (WR)

LEVEL 9
Obdurium Vise (SD Homebrew)

Skills to Max
-Acrobatics (Balance & Tumble)
-Concentration
[/spoiler]
Misc. Stats
[spoiler]
Alignment
LN, assuming we're using alignment

Favored Class
Doesn't Matter - We aren't using it.

Languages Known @1
Common
Orc
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:10:01 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Building a Bloodstorm Blade with some Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
Main Questions
1: How can I increase the distance on my throwing weapons?  10' is reach weapon range.

I know there's the Distance property (+1) to double the range increment.  The Far Shot feat also doubles my range.  Still, that's a feat and an effective +2 weapon just to throw a greatsword or a scythe 40'.

2: Where do you advise I take my build after level 10?  Ruby Knight Vindicator is an option since I have a Cleric and Crusader level.  Eternal Blade grants Iron Heart maneuvers, but not Tiger Claw.  I'm also no no elf.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Re: Building a Bloodstorm Blade with some Homebrew
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
Main Questions
1: How can I increase the distance on my throwing weapons?  10' is reach weapon range.

I know there's the Distance property (+1) to double the range increment.  The Far Shot feat also doubles my range.  Still, that's a feat and an effective +2 weapon just to throw a greatsword or a scythe 40'.
Range increment does not equal maximum range.

Thrown weapons have five range increments. So they actually have a maximum range of 50 feet, not 10 feet.

Projectile weapons, like bows, have ten range increments. So a shortbow, with range increment 60 feet, has a maximum range of 600 feet.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.