Author Topic: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-Taking Requests  (Read 392299 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Hecantoncheires

*snip*
...Nietzsche would be proud. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Ye gods......... Seriously, that's all I can say.

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Excellent  :D
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Now THAT, is a true Hundredman.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Brass Dragon

[spoiler]
HD:d12
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
1 +1 +2+0+2Brass Dragon body, Flame Breath, Alternate form
2  +2 +3+0+3 Keen senses, Arcane Blood
3  +3 +3+1+3 Blindsense 60 feets , Burrowing, Lesser Brass Magic
4  +4 +4+1+4 Wings
5  +5 +4+1+4  Sleep breath
6  +6 +5+2+5  Fine Art of Conversation, +1 Str, +1 Cha
7  +7 +5+2+5  Domain, +1 Con
8  +8 +6+2+5  Non-stop Talker
9  +9 +6+3+6 Melodramatic Speech, +1 Str, +1 Cha
10  +10 +7+3+7Tail slap, Growth
11  +11 +7+3+7 Brass Magic , +1 Con
12  +12 +8+4+8 Arcane Skin, Iron Scales, +1 Cha
13  +13 +8+4+8Brass Speed, +1 Cha
14  +14 +9+4+9 Genie Servant, +1 Str, +1 Con
15  +15 +9+5+9 Frightfull presence, Growth, crush.
16  +16 +10+5+10Domain, +1 Str, +1 Cha
17  +17 +10+5+10Grand Speech  +1 Con, +1 Cha
18  +18 +11+6+11 Shut up and Listen, +1 Cha
19  +19 +11+6+11 Grandious Tale, +1 Str, +1 Con
20  +20 +12+6+12 Free Speech, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha
4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: Apraise,  Bluff, Concentration, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise,  Gather Information, Jump, Listen,  Knowledge(any), Search, Spot, Spellcraft.

Proficiencies: a Brass dragon isn't proficient with any armor or weapons, besides his own natural weapons.

Features:

Brass dragon Body: The Brass dragon loses all other racial bonuses, and gains Dragon traits, Fire subtype, bite 1d8 damage, 2 claws attack for 1d6 damage each and 40 base speed, medium size. The Brass dragon has wings, but they're too weak to do anything for now. His claws are capable of fine manipulation and can be used for somatic components of spellcasting or anything else a human hand could do.

The Brass dragon also gets a natural armor bonus equal to his Con modifier. Whenever the Brass dragon grows one size category, his natural armor increases by a further 1.

Flame Breath:Line 60 foot dealing 1d6 fire damage/HD with DC ref of 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier for half every 1d4 turns. Line increases by 10 feet with each extra HD the player takes from here.

Alternate Form (Su): A Brass dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Arcane Blood:A Brass dragon receives spells known and spells per day as a sorceror of 2/3 his level, but he has CL equal to his HD.  He may also choose to pick spells known from the Cleric spell list instead of the sorceror/wizard list, but this choice must be made at first level and cannot be changed later.

If he multiclasses as a sorceror, the casting stacks. If he chose to pick spells from the Cleric list, he'll keep picking them from that list.

Dragon level Sorceror casting
1-

If a dragon takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance his casting as that of a sorceror. So a dragon 10/loremaster 10 would cast as a 16th level sorceror.

Keen senses:The Brass dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision  out to 120 feet.

Blindsense:
As the normal ability, range 60 feets.

Burrowing:
At 3rd level the Brass dragon gains a Burrow speed equal to half his base speed.

Lesser Brass magic:At 3rd level the Brass dragon can use Endure Elements, Sugestion, and Speak with Animals as SLAs 1/day for every 3 HD it has. Save DCs are 10+1/2HD+Cha mod. The Endure Elements affects all allies in a radius of 5 feet for every 2 HD of the Brass Dragon.

Ability score increase:
The Brass dragon ability scores increase by the shown amount.

Level Bonus gained
6    +1 Str, +1 Cha
7    +1 Con.
9    +1 Str, +1 Cha
11   +1 Con
12  +1 Cha
13  +1 Cha
14  +1 Str, +1 Con
16  +1 Str, +1 Cha
17 +1 Con, +1 Cha
18  +1 Cha
19 +1 Str, +1 Con
20  +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

For a total of +6 Str, +6 Con, +8 Cha at 20th level.

Wings:
The Brass dragon becomes able to fly at the speed of 10 feets per HD, with poor maneuverability. The maneuverability doesn't increase naturaly, but players can take the Savage Species feat that increases it by two steps(stackable). Each wing can also be now used to deliver a natural atack dealing 1d4 damage.

Sleep breath:Gained at 5th level, Cone 45 feets, Will save DC 10+1/2HD+Con or fall asleep 1d6 rounds plus 1 round for each 2HD of the Brass dragon. Cone increases by 5 feets for every extra HD from here. Once used must wait 1d4 turns before using again

Fine Art of Coversation:Brass Dragons love to talk more than anything. They've been known to knock down random travelers just to have somebody to talk to. And they're really good at it, to the point they don't even shut up during the most pitched combats, throwing both useful advice or simply filling an oponent's mind with useless information to confuse them. At 6th level as a Swift or Move action the Brass dragon may talk at high speed to one target whitin 10 feet per HD. The target takes either a bonus or penalty (brass dragon's choice) to mental skill checks and concentration skill checks for 1 round equal to  1/3 the Brass Dragon's ranks in Gather Information.

Domain: At levels 7 and 16 the Brass dragon can add the spells from one domain to his spells known list. The choices are Chaos and Knowledge.

NonStop Talker: Did I mention how Brass Dragons like to talk? They really do. They can go on and on for every waking hour and end up geting all kind of usefull stuff from it. At 8th level The Brass dragon gains a bonus on  Diplomacy and Gather Information checks equal to half his HD.

Melodramatic Speech:As it ages and keeps talking a Brass Dragon learns to manipulate his audience. At 9th level as a standard action, 1/day per 3 HD,  it can replicate Calm Emotions, Crushing Despair, Good Hope or Rage spells with CL equal to HD, except this counts as an Ex ability and can affect creatures normally immune to the effects, but they still gain a +5 bonus to their saves.  Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod. Any concentrations needed can be kept as a move or swift action.

Growth:At 10th level the Brass dragon grows to large size.
                At 15th level the Brass dragon grows to huge size.

His AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills change acordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.

Tail slap:The Brass dragon can now make a tail slap attack dealing 1d8 damage(already taking in acount large size).

Brass Magic:At 11th level the Brass dragon can use Control Winds and Control weather as SLAs 1/day for every 5 HD it has

Arcane skin:At 12th level the Brass dragon gains SR equal to his HD+11. It may raise or lower it at any time as a free action.

Iron Scales: At 12th level the Brass dragon gains DR/magic equal to half his HD.

Brass Speed: Brass dragons really aren't exactly renowed for their bravery, always prefering to look for some kind of advantage before engaging any kind of real threat. At 13th level the Brass dragon's base speed increases by 10 speed. It increases an extra 10 feet at 17 HD and every 4 HD thereafter. In addition it can perform a Move action as an Immediate action 1/minute.

Genie Servant: At 14th level, the Brass dragon can use Summon Monster VII as a SLA as a standard action 1/day to get a Djinni only, except this lasts 1 hour/ level, and the Djinni has its HD advanced to the Brass Dragon's HD (this doesn't turn it into a noble, but makes it grow a size category at 11 HD). In addition it gains an extra use of its SLAs for each 2 extra HD.

Crush:
Frightfull presence:
Grand Speech: At 17th level the Brass Dragon words are so loquacious and histrionic that combined with flamboyant and exaggerated gestures he can get a variety of reactions from his audience.  As Melodramatic Speech, but 1/day per 5 HD, and the Brass Dragon can produce any simultaneous combination of Rage, Calm Emotions, Crushing Despair and Good Hope,  but multiple concentration requirements stack.

So for example the Brass Dragon could produce a Rage effect on his warrior allies and Calm Emotions on another confused ally and then Crushing Despair on a group of nearby enemies. But then would need to keep two concentrations for the Rage and Calm emotions effects.

Shut up and Listen:At 18th level a Brass dragon can dramatically interrupt an oponent's or ally's actions with words full of spirit. This allows the Brass Dragon to use Melodramatic Speech as an Immediate Action.

Grandious Tale: Brass Dragons simply love the sound of their own voice, and nothing short of iminent danger of death will make them stop with cheap chatter. Then they resort to their most profound stories. At 19th level, 1/day as a fullround action, the Brass Dragon may deliver a Supreme speech. All that can observe the Brass Dragon must make a Will save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

If they suceed they're still left Confused by 1 round by the brass dragon's grandious performace.
If they fail by less than 10 they're left Dazed for 1 round and then permanently Confused as they question their own beliefs.
If they fail by 11 or more they fully acept the Brass Dragon's words. They become friendly towards the Brass dragon (if they were already friendly they increase one step) and their alignment changes one step closer to the Brass Dragon's own alignment.

This ability can affects creatures even normally immune to the effects, but they gain a +5 bonus to their saves. The Brass Dragon may exclude allies from it.

Free Speech: At 20th level the Brass dragon cannot be shut up by any means short of killing it. The Brass Dragon ignores Silence, physical obstacles and any other thing that may stop it from making himself heard by others. This however doesn't allow the Brass Dragon's words to reach bigger distances and/or intensities than normal. 1/day for 10 minutes, the Brass Dragon can ignore even this limitation and throw his voice to any place he has ever been to, regardless of his current position.

[/spoiler]

Comments:
[spoiler]
Brass Dragons are renowed for their love of talking. They've been known to keep riddle games with sphynxes for centuries, drive wizards into becoming paladins,  tempt creatures into evil just to see if it really worked like in the stories and make protests against human polution. They're also suposed to be good being metallic dragons and stuff.

Well the class ends up following the basic metallic dragon chassis, with a nice array of lower level SLAs and burrowing to back it up.Then a bunch of custom speech abilities to show the talky nature. It ends up focusing more in buffing allies and debuffing enemies than direct combat.  Also buffed up the genie servant and made Cha the highest stat bonus.

So if you want to play a giant lizard that asks questions first and second, the Brass Dragon's for you!

[/spoiler]

Daedroth

• Monkey bussiness
Thank you so much oslecamo, is really awesome

I like the "talking2 stuff  :lol is very funny

Fear me evildoers! i will speak you until your ears start bleeding!

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
[spoiler]Free Speech: At 20th level the Brass dragon cannot be shut up by any means short of killing it. The Brass Dragon ignores Silence, physical obstacles and any other thing that may stop it from making himself heard by others.[/spoiler]

Does this include distance?  Can a level 20 brass dragon speak to the world and/or other worlds/planes?

b100d_arrowz

• Email
As I tempted as I am to say "yes", my sane side tells me to put a clause to prevent that, lest the rest of the multiverse hunt them down to extinction or go mad from their non-stop speeches
But that would make for an epic quest idea... and a morals question for good players, keep it  :D
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I'm wondering, oslecamo, if you'd be willing to listen to a few comments, concerns, and criticisms about your work.  Me, being the silly person I am, did not write them down so I have the joyous task of looking them all over again... but I just wanted to make some remarks about the racial classes.  To be honest, I love almost every one I've seen!  But still, some things nag at me, some quirks make me question a few things, and others (very few) feel just a tad bit boring (though, that doesn't mean they're not effective/powerful enough).

I ask this because I am a relative newcomer to these forums and especially to utilizing homebrew material of others.  I've come up with several ideas of my own and would be willing to share them if I feel confident enough to get laughed at.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
As I tempted as I am to say "yes", my sane side tells me to put a clause to prevent that, lest the rest of the multiverse hunt them down to extinction or go mad from their non-stop speeches
But that would make for an epic quest idea... and a morals question for good players, keep it  :D

Ok, as a middle term, I'll allow it for a 1/day option, since it's a quite cool idea.  The brass dragon great wyrm progression will improve on it, whenever I get to making the dragon epic levels (just...one...more...true dragon to do...).

I'm wondering, oslecamo, if you'd be willing to listen to a few comments, concerns, and criticisms about your work.  Me, being the silly person I am, did not write them down so I have the joyous task of looking them all over again... but I just wanted to make some remarks about the racial classes.  To be honest, I love almost every one I've seen!  But still, some things nag at me, some quirks make me question a few things, and others (very few) feel just a tad bit boring (though, that doesn't mean they're not effective/powerful enough).

I ask this because I am a relative newcomer to these forums and especially to utilizing homebrew material of others.  I've come up with several ideas of my own and would be willing to share them if I feel confident enough to get laughed at.
Yes.  I'm always asking for people to critisize my work every other page and point out what they like and don't like.

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Okie doke.

First, how about having a generic HD-increasing class for each of the types of creatures (outsider/magical beast/etc.).  This is not for PC use but more for monster advancement :) I see QUITE a few uses of these monsters as foes for the PCs and can work with a level-by-level adjustment of these creatures to be mighty enemies for the party to face... even the lowly goblin or kobold can see high-level play (of course, class levels can come into play as well; I just thought that perhaps even the monsters with levels can still be deadly without being Monster X/Class Y).  Maybe something along the lines of "For every 2 HD, pick an ability from the following list" or "Swap one SLA with another higher level one."

Also, the typos can really throw off the... I guess "immersion" would be the word I'm looking for.  I love to read these classes.  Misspellings unfortunately cause me to stop and either figure out what word you were looking for or make it feel less like an actual class.  For example, using "feets" instead of "feet."  "Foots" was present as well.  "A" instead of "At" is another one that rather broke my concentration on the monsters.  Bold and italic formatting can be weird when they go from one to another.

One big thing that has me confused is whether the listed abilities are Extraordinary or Supernatural.  This can make or break a monster (in an overpowered kind of way) whenever there are anti-magic fields present, dispel magic, and any other abjurative type of power that could render them useless.  As it stands now, they're typeless.  This means that their powers WILL work anywhere and everywhere.  This may be your intention, which is fine, but consider those as part of its power level.  You said you were looking for high-tier 3/low-tier 2 in power level, so I figured I'd point out some things that may "curb stomp a wizard", as you so succinctly put it ;)

I'll go into a monster-by-monster basis a little bit later (I'm already starting a list in Word), but these are a few things that I felt I should comment upon.

[Edit]Another thing I forgot to mention is listing the levels that abilities are gained.  Anything above level 1 should probably mention what level it's gained, as it helps to avoid confusion/getting lost as you jump up to the chart to look.  Also, abilities listed out of order make one rather confused at times (ie. Nycaloth, Hook Horror).

And also... You had mentioned that you were thinking of giving monsters an ability name to indicate that spellcasting levels stack with the monster levels.  Mayhaps something pseudo-latin or the like:  Magicae Arcanis (for arcane stacking), Magicae Divinae (for divine stacking), Magicae Naturalis (for druid-specific stacking), Vis Animus (for psionic stacking), and so forth.  Only suggestions!  Call them "Arcane Stacking" if you feel like it, just as long as they are recognizable.[/Edit]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:45:34 PM by CDTalmas »

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
In a week or so when you have time again can you do the Keeper (Fiend folio 111, the outsider/construct)?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
First, how about having a generic HD-increasing class for each of the types of creatures (outsider/magical beast/etc.).  This is not for PC use but more for monster advancement :) I see QUITE a few uses of these monsters as foes for the PCs and can work with a level-by-level adjustment of these creatures to be mighty enemies for the party to face... even the lowly goblin or kobold can see high-level play (of course, class levels can come into play as well; I just thought that perhaps even the monsters with levels can still be deadly without being Monster X/Class Y).  Maybe something along the lines of "For every 2 HD, pick an ability from the following list" or "Swap one SLA with another higher level one."
That's for what one has templates, which here are done as prcs. Monster of legend, celestial, half-X, death knight, those are your stronger monsters. One thing I've been looking forwards in this matter is converting the Paragon template from the Epic level handbook.

Also, the typos can really throw off the... I guess "immersion" would be the word I'm looking for.  I love to read these classes.  Misspellings unfortunately cause me to stop and either figure out what word you were looking for or make it feel less like an actual class.  For example, using "feets" instead of "feet."  "Foots" was present as well.  "A" instead of "At" is another one that rather broke my concentration on the monsters.  Bold and italic formatting can be weird when they go from one to another.
English isn't my original language, and I'm not up to go pick an english grammar manual every time I want to make a new class. If you want, post more correct versions and I'll edit them in. Otherwise this is just something I can't be bothered with. I'll clean up some stuff here and there when I notice them, but a full grammar revision just isn't worth my time unless someone's paying me.

One big thing that has me confused is whether the listed abilities are Extraordinary or Supernatural.  This can make or break a monster (in an overpowered kind of way) whenever there are anti-magic fields present, dispel magic, and any other abjurative type of power that could render them useless.  As it stands now, they're typeless.  This means that their powers WILL work anywhere and everywhere.  This may be your intention, which is fine, but consider those as part of its power level.  You said you were looking for high-tier 3/low-tier 2 in power level, so I figured I'd point out some things that may "curb stomp a wizard", as you so succinctly put it ;)
You got me there. I intentationally ommit that detail most of the time because most of the time I simply don't know if something should be Ex or Su. That's something really unstable in D&D. Singing really well is Su, but IRON HEART SURGE that shatters cages of force is Ex. Lolwhut? So I leave that hot potato to the player and DMs. :P

On the other hand, noncasters don't really care if their oponent's abilities are Ex or Su, because they don't have AMF, dispels or other abjurative type of powers anyway, so it's mostly wizard-types that get screwed! Remember the motto in the first page, casters deserve bad things, noncasters deserve nice things.

Mind you, when I really feel that something should be Ex, I point it out (cough Tarrasque cough).

[Edit]Another thing I forgot to mention is listing the levels that abilities are gained.  Anything above level 1 should probably mention what level it's gained, as it helps to avoid confusion/getting lost as you jump up to the chart to look.  Also, abilities listed out of order make one rather confused at times (ie. Nycaloth, Hook Horror).
Oh for the love of Vecna, use the Index! The Nycaloth got a whole overhaul some pages go. The Hook Horror... I'll fix it now, ok. But I do strive to at least put the abilities in the right order.

And also... You had mentioned that you were thinking of giving monsters an ability name to indicate that spellcasting levels stack with the monster levels.  Mayhaps something pseudo-latin or the like:  Magicae Arcanis (for arcane stacking), Magicae Divinae (for divine stacking), Magicae Naturalis (for druid-specific stacking), Vis Animus (for psionic stacking), and so forth.  Only suggestions!  Call them "Arcane Stacking" if you feel like it, just as long as they are recognizable.[/Edit]

The problem with that isn't geting a fancy name, is that I would need to go back and add it to around half the monster classes. And I have over two hundred monster classes here. I may  do it in the near future, and if somebody could get me a list of all the monsters here that have that kind of ability, it would be a great help.

Catty Nebulart:K, copper dragon should be done tomorrow, then merfolk should be fast, and then it's your turn.

b100d_arrowz

• Email
Oh for the love of Vecna, use the Index!
Vecna == Pelor. Perfect truth  :sparta

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Copper Dragon

[spoiler]
HD:d12
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
1 +1 +2+0+2Copper Dragon body, Acid Breath, Alternate form
2 +2 +3+0+3 Keen senses, Arcane Blood
3 +3 +3+1+3 Blindsense 60 feets, Stone Climb, Lesser Copper Magic, +1 Cha
4 +4 +4+1+4 Wings
5 +5 +4+1+4 Slow breath, +1 Str
6 +6 +5+2+5 Copper Feint, +1 Con, +1 Cha
7 +7 +5+2+5 Domain, +1 Str
8 +8 +6+2+5 Prankster
9 +9  +6+3+6 Copper Magic, +1 Con, +1 Cha
10 +10 +7+3+7Vitriolic Taunt
11 +11 +7+3+7 Tail slap, Growth, +1 Str
12 +12 +8+4+8 Arcane Skin, Iron Scales, +1 Cha
13 +13 +8+4+8Greater Copper Magic, +1 Con
14 +14 +9+4+9Inpatient, +1 Str
15 +15 +9+5+9Domain, +1 Cha
16 +16 +10+5+10Frightfull presence, Growth, Crush, +1 Con, +1 Cha
17 +17 +10+5+10Take the Stage,  +1 Str, +1 Cha
18 +18 +11+6+11 Just Kidding, +1 Con
19 +19 +11+6+11 Outrageous Humor, +1 Str, +1 Cha
20 +20 +12+6+12 Incorregible, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha
4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: Apraise,  Bluff, Concentration, Climb, Diplomacy,  Jump, Hide, Listen,  Knowledge(any), Move Silently, Search, Spot, Spellcraft.

Proficiencies: a Copper dragon isn't proficient with any armor or weapons, besides his own natural weapons.

Features:

Copper Dragon Body: The Copper dragon loses all other racial bonuses, and gains Dragon traits, Earth Subtype , bite 1d8 damage, 2 claws attack for 1d6 damage each and 40 base speed, medium size. The Copper Dragon has wings, but they're too weak to do anything for now. His claws are capable of fine manipulation and can be used for somatic components of spellcasting or anything else a human hand could do.

The Copper dragon is immune to Acid, and also gets a natural armor bonus equal to his Con modifier. Whenever the Copper dragon grows one size category, his natural armor increases by a further 1.

Acid Breath:Line 60 foot dealing 1d6 acid damage/HD with DC ref of 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier for half every 1d4 turns. Line increases by 10 feet with each extra HD the player takes from here.

Alternate Form (Su): A Copper dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Arcane Blood:A Copper dragon receives spells known and spells per day as a sorceror of 2/3 his level, but he has CL equal to his HD.  He may also choose to pick spells known from the Cleric spell list instead of the sorceror/wizard list, but this choice must be made at first level and cannot be changed later.

If he multiclasses as a sorceror, the casting stacks. If he chose to pick spells from the Cleric list, he'll keep picking them from that list.

Dragon level Sorceror casting
1-

If a dragon takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance his casting as that of a sorceror. So a dragon 10/loremaster 10 would cast as a 16th level sorceror.

Keen senses:The Copper dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision  out to 120 feet.

Blindsense:
As the normal ability, range 60 feets.

Stone  Climb:
At 3rd level the Copper dragon is under a permanent Spider Climb effect, except it only works on stone surfaces.

Lesser Copper magic:At 3rd level the Copper dragon can use Stone Shape as a SLA 1/day for every 3 HD he has.

Ability score increase:
The Copper dragon ability scores increase by the shown amount.

Level Bonus gained
3    +1 Cha
5    +1 Str
6    +1 Con, +1 Cha
7    +1 Str
9    +1 Con, +1 Cha
11   +1 Str
12  +1 Cha
13  +1 Con
14  +1 Str
15  +1 Cha
16  +1 Con, +1 Cha
17 +1 Str, +1 Cha
18  +1 Con
19 +1 Str, +1 Cha
20  +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

For a total of +7 Str, +6 Con, +9 Cha at 20th level.

Wings:
The Copper dragon becomes able to fly at the speed of 10 feets per HD, with poor maneuverability. The maneuverability doesn't increase naturaly, but players can take the Savage Species feat that increases it by two steps(stackable). Each wing can also be now used to deliver a natural atack dealing 1d4 damage.

Slow Breath:Gained at 5th level, Cone 45 feets, Fort save DC 10+1/2HD+Con mod or be Slowed  1d6 rounds plus 1 round for each 2HD of the Copper dragon. Cone increases by 5 feets for every extra HD from here. Once used must wait 1d4 turns before using again

Copper Feint:Copper Dragons are natural tricksters. At 6th levels they can Feint in combat as a swift or move action, and doesn't take penalties on feinting against other types of creatures, even those of animal Inelligence. If the Copper Dragon had the Improved Feint feat, he may now replace it for another feat.

Domain: At levels 7 and 15 the Copper dragon can add the spells from one domain to his spells known list. The choices are Chaos, Earth, and Trickery.

Prankster: Copper dragons love pratical jokes. At 8th level they gain a bonus on  Bluff and Hide checks equal to half his HD.

Copper Magic:At 9th level the Copper dragon can use Transmute Rock to Mud and Transmute Mud to Rock as SLAs 1/day for every 4 HD he has. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod.

Vitriolic Taunt: Copper dragons love to provoke others, and take great satisfaction from seeing their enemies annoyed and out of their minds. At 10th level as a standard action a number of times per day equal to his Cha mod, the Copper dragon may throw a series of carefully picked provocations that make his enemies mindlessly seek retribution from the insults at all costs. Oponents inside a radius of 10 feet per HD must suceed on a Will Save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha mod or become Flatfooted and attack the Copper Dragon by any means possible. At the end of their turns, affected enemies may atempt a new Will save to break out from this effect, otherwise they remain Flatfooted and trying to attack the Copper Dragon. Oponents immune to mindaffecting gain a +5 bonus on their saves against Vitriolic Taunt.

Growth:At 11th level the Copper dragon grows to large size.
                At 16th level the Copper dragon grows to huge size.

His AC, bonus to hit, base damage, grapple and skills change acordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.

Tail slap:The Copper dragon can now make a tail slap attack dealing 1d8 damage(already taking in acount large size).

Arcane skin:At 12th level the Copper dragon gains SR equal to his HD+11. It may raise or lower it at any time as a free action.

Iron Scales: At 12th level the Copper dragon gains DR/magic equal to half his HD.

Greater Copper Magic:At 13th level the Copper Dragon can use Wall of Stone and Move Earth as SLAs 1/day for every 5 HD he has.

Inpatient: Copper Dragons hate to sit idly and are always ready for some action. At 14th level, the Copper dragon adds his Cha mod to Iniative checks, and can always act in a suprise round unless something restrains it from moving.

Crush:
Frightfull presence:
Take the Stage:Copper dragons love being the center of attention (even more than other dragons that is). At 17th level the Copper Dragon can use Copper Feint on any number of creatures whitin view a number of times per day equal to his Cha mod.

Just Kidding:Copper Dragons have been known to keep up throwing jokes even on the direst of circumstances. At 18th level, 1/day per 6 HD, if the copper dragon has been affected by  some condition (including Death caused by non-damage means), at the begginning of its next turn it may make a Bluff check  against the DC of the condition (if it didn't have a DC, then it is 10+1/2 HD of the originator+originator's highest stat mod) whitout any need of an action. If he suceeds, the Copper Dragon is revealed to have just been pretending it had been affected and the condition is removed. Only one atempt per Condition inflicted.

Outrageous Humor:Incorregible: At 20th level you simply can't get a straight answer from a Copper Dragon, as he always twists words and meanings, adds puns and overall plays with every word and idea it can. By no means can an oponent make the Copper Dragon tell the truth if he doesn't want to. This includes blocking any mind-reading effects, and the copper dragon keeping his charades even if dominated/charmed.

In addition when anyone atempts a divination other than True Seeing to know anything related directly or indirectly to the Copper Dragon, he can make a Bluff check to produce a false result. Even if the oponent suceeds in a Sense motive against the Copper Dragon's Bluffs, they cannot discern the actual truth unless they see it with their own eyes.
[/spoiler]

Comments:
[spoiler]
Finally, the last true dragon!

Copper Dragons are infamous for their love of jokes and pranks. They like to hang with feys or just common people and mess up with everybody they can. They also have an Earth elemental secondary theme.

Besides the usual draconic package, the class itself focuses on feinting and aggroing togheter with some defensive tricks thrown in for fluff and profit.

So if you want to play a giant lizard that lives always with good humor, the Copper Dragon's for you!

[/spoiler]

Daedroth

• Monkey bussiness
Thanks and....congratulations now your Core True Dragons Serie is complete!

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Here are a couple of comments, questions, and critiques.  Keep in mind, I am no professional so feel free to "grain of salt" them:

Aasimar:
[spoiler]Certainly a flavorful path of imbuing light into multiple forms of energy/matter, making it far more divine than the spell itself.  I can just imagine an aasimar child playing with a ball of light and bouncing it around while the parents watch bewildered.  You certainly crammed quite a bit into a one-level class.  I'm not certain if this is front-loading or not, but as you said, it's a one-level class that burns through its daylight usage quickly.

[Edit]Can Raise Dead's (and other like spells, such as Resurrection and Restoration) "limit" defined by caster levels be bypassed by the uncapped-ness of Light Soul?[/Edit]

Regarding the 4 HD usage of Lightbringer, Light Ray, can multiple rays be utilized over the course of a round?  Assuming, of course, a high enough BAB to provide multiple attacks.  Also, when utilizing the ability with a touch range spell, does this mean that the spell becomes a ray instead of touch (or, rather, that the spell simply gains a range)?  I pity the person who pisses off the aasimar druid with Poison cast...

Rising Star and Heaven('s?) Touch mention that they can be continued by spending "an extra use."  Is that one Lightbringer use or two/four respectively?  I'm fine either way, as maintaining something that you've done can be easier or just as difficult as the first expenditure.  I believe Star Blessing is also an ability that utilizes the "maintain for an extra use."

Star-Reach blows the "largest range increment possible" thread out of the water.  Quite seriously.  Then again, this IS homebrew material and the ability is made of pure awesome.  Can line of sight be obtained via scrying?  Physical sight?  What about sight enhancers?  Does the "light projected from the weapon" provide light as a light spell as if it were a ray (aka, attacking in total darkness)?  What about mirrors for LOS (admittedly, this one is me not knowing the answer to a basic D&D question regarding LOS)?

Also, why does Purify cause the aasimar to be affected by his own MDJ?  It already costs 7 uses of something that he's probably going to get one more use of over the course of his day/night.[/spoiler]

Aboleth:
This monster has stacking magical levels.
[spoiler]The aboleth is a disgusting creature, to be certain.  It's a slime fish that consumes memories (much like the mind flayer) and takes them as its own.  Of course, it eats the person those memories belong to... Admittedly, the monster is very ill-suited as a PC.  It has a very slow land speed (which you increased artificially, especially for a creature of medium size) and a nice swim speed (a useful friend to have for an aquatic campaign!).  It is almost wholly evil because of its ability to absorb memories from parent and food alike.  If not evil, very much insane.  It's not a long creature according to the MM, but I certainly understand your take on it and pretty much agree based on the image alone.

Can the aboleth's land speed perhaps start off at 10 ft and increase with more tentacles?  It uses them to drag itself along the ground, after all.  Mayhap +5 ft per tentacle?

With the aboleth's tentacles being incapable of fine manipulation, how does it utilize spell components?  Can it wear gear of any sort?

Knowledge (eons) really seems powerful... Exceptionally so.  You beat the bard flat out and probably curb stomp the wizard and archivist a la knowledges (not necessarily in battle though).  'Tis difficult for me to think of a good way to make that ability more suited for PC's.

The Slime ability seems a little fast.  Did you mean 1d4+1 minutes just as the MM states?  Or did you want the person being immediately affected for battle purposes?  It actually feels far more deadly than the MM version and is on an at-will basis (with a full attack of 8 tentacles, the creature has a very good chance of failing at least one save against the slime; this means death to the creature eventually).  Especially early on (levels 5-8), fights can be a breeze by just outlasting your opponent.

I like that you kept the SLA's in as a gradual growth thing, with increased uses (rather than unlimited) per day per HD instead of a "I spam illusions!!!11!?"  The True Seeing was total icing on the cake.  Isn't Enslave a bit powerful though?  Especially when combined with Overwhelming Intellect.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:00:54 PM by CDTalmas »

oslecamo

• Grape ape
 I'm not certain if this is front-loading or not, but as you said, it's a one-level class that burns through its daylight usage quickly.
I want each class to feel unique. The aasimar, being just 1 level long, did end with somewhat too much cramping, but I believe that's balanced by the fact the stronger abilities will burn trough uses very quickly.

[Edit]Can Raise Dead's (and other like spells, such as Resurrection and Restoration) "limit" defined by caster levels be bypassed by the uncapped-ness of Light Soul?[/Edit]
You didn't understand that one right. The uncapped clause is meant for spells like sunbeam, that cap their effects at a certain amount of caster level.

Regarding the 4 HD usage of Lightbringer, Light Ray, can multiple rays be utilized over the course of a round?  Assuming, of course, a high enough BAB to provide multiple attacks.  Also, when utilizing the ability with a touch range spell, does this mean that the spell becomes a ray instead of touch (or, rather, that the spell simply gains a range)?  I pity the person who pisses off the aasimar druid with Poison cast...
Clairified that it combines with iterative attacks. And yes touch spells become rays.

Rising Star and Heaven('s?) Touch mention that they can be continued by spending "an extra use."  Is that one Lightbringer use or two/four respectively?  I'm fine either way, as maintaining something that you've done can be easier or just as difficult as the first expenditure.  I believe Star Blessing is also an ability that utilizes the "maintain for an extra use."
"Uses" always refer to Daylight uses.

Star-Reach blows the "largest range increment possible" thread out of the water.  Quite seriously.  Then again, this IS homebrew material and the ability is made of pure awesome.  Can line of sight be obtained via scrying?  Physical sight?  What about sight enhancers?  Does the "light projected from the weapon" provide light as a light spell as if it were a ray (aka, attacking in total darkness)?  What about mirrors for LOS (admittedly, this one is me not knowing the answer to a basic D&D question regarding LOS)?
You need LoS before you activate the ability. Scrying would work as long as you had line of effect.

Also, why does Purify cause the aasimar to be affected by his own MDJ?  It already costs 7 uses of something that he's probably going to get one more use of over the course of his day/night.[/spoiler]
Because even a single use of MDJ is already pretty brutal striping all your oponents buffs and disabling their gear for a few rounds. Specially when you just needed 1 level to get it.

Can the aboleth's land speed perhaps start off at 10 ft and increase with more tentacles?  It uses them to drag itself along the ground, after all.  Mayhap +5 ft per tentacle?
The problem with that it's that it would quickly end up faster on land than most other monsters out there! :P

I put the 20 feet base speed because I feel that's the bare minimum to don't slow down the campaign too much, so the aboleth isn't just playable in aquatic campaigns.

With the aboleth's tentacles being incapable of fine manipulation, how does it utilize spell components?  Can it wear gear of any sort?
It specifically can use them for spell components in the class description. And yes it can wear gear, consult SS for item slots of unusual creatures.

Knowledge (eons) really seems powerful... Exceptionally so.  You beat the bard flat out and probably curb stomp the wizard and archivist a la knowledges (not necessarily in battle though).  'Tis difficult for me to think of a good way to make that ability more suited for PC's.
Well, the aboleths are suposed to have the best memories around after all.

The Slime ability seems a little fast.  Did you mean 1d4+1 minutes just as the MM states?  Or did you want the person being immediately affected for battle purposes?  It actually feels far more deadly than the MM version and is on an at-will basis (with a full attack of 8 tentacles, the creature has a very good chance of failing at least one save against the slime; this means death to the creature eventually).  Especially early on (levels 5-8), fights can be a breeze by just outlasting your opponent.
Well that's the idea. If it took minutes to start, then the battle would probably be long over before it mattered. If the aboleth can outlast the enemy, then it deserves to win.

I like that you kept the SLA's in as a gradual growth thing, with increased uses (rather than unlimited) per day per HD instead of a "I spam illusions!!!11!?"  The True Seeing was total icing on the cake.  Isn't Enslave a bit powerful though?  Especially when combined with Overwhelming Intellect.[/spoiler]
Yes it is powerful, but Enchantment effects are also quite easy to block. As you level up eventually every damn thing is immune to mind control.

Plus it doesn't stack with Overwhelming Intellect, since it's neither a spell or SLA.

Thanks for the in-depth reviews! :)

CDTalmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
It specifically can use them for spell components in the class description. And yes it can wear gear, consult SS for item slots of unusual creatures.

Yes, it specifies that they may be used for "somatic components."  Somatic is movement.  What about material?  If it can't grab the components from a pouch, there needs to be some other way to do so.