Author Topic: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-Taking Requests  (Read 392306 times)

Shadowknight12

• Monkey bussiness
Not exactly. Altough indeed there's a of stuff out there that's immune to enchantment, there's also a lot of stuff that isn't. You don't try to enchant the undead. You mindrape some nearby orcs/giants and get them to smash the undeads. Enchantment has a lot of potential for a good planer and can outright break campaigns when you get control of a key NPC. So altough it doesn't always works, when it  does then it's best than any of the other schools, because you're not only defeating an oponent, you're geting an ally. Did you notice that Charm Monster lasts days? And that there's no cap for how many charmed minions you can have?

You're right, but I suppose it's another of those things that vary from campaign to campaign. My experience with Enchantment has been quite the opposite to the examples you're giving. Protection from X and Magic Circle Against X are very common across spell lists, and all eight block charm and domination. Add constructs, undead and mindless creatures, plus items, high Will saves and other mind-blocking spells and you have a surprising amount of creatures against which Enchantment just fails. It's far more reliable to stick to Grease, Colour Spray and Web at low levels, and by the time you get Charm Monster, Enervation is a safer bet. But I do admit that unless the DM is aware of this, it can really wreck the campaign.

I would quite disagree there. The Monavic Deva's offensive options are Holy smite and hiting people with pointy stuff. Even with full Bab, she needs those SLA buffs, and then she also has quite humble skills, so again SLAs to help round up the utility.

I agree with the utility, but her levels stack with divine caster classes, which means that she can dip one level into Cleric and get all the buffs she wants at very little cost. It's a big if, though, so you might have a point there.

Well I would like to at least see some minor healing SLAs in the class for flavour and minor utility

Added Goodberry, Cure Moderate Wounds and Arcane Sight. After that, the spells were becoming rather powerful, so I figured it was a good place to stop.

Huh. That's a really good idea.

There. I think those "styles" are fine. I've done the math, and the most amount of Oath Charges per day a verdant prince can receive is 16 at level 20 (10 for 5 Major Oath Bonds and 6 for 6 Intermediate Oath Bonds). Earlier than that, and we're looking at roughly 1-5 Oath Charges per day.

They are. That's half the reason of making them scaling. :p

Hah, I suspected as much. Moved to level 2.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
You're right, but I suppose it's another of those things that vary from campaign to campaign. My experience with Enchantment has been quite the opposite to the examples you're giving. Protection from X and Magic Circle Against X are very common across spell lists, and all eight block charm and domination. Add constructs, undead and mindless creatures, plus items, high Will saves and other mind-blocking spells and you have a surprising amount of creatures against which Enchantment just fails. It's far more reliable to stick to Grease, Colour Spray and Web at low levels, and by the time you get Charm Monster, Enervation is a safer bet. But I do admit that unless the DM is aware of this, it can really wreck the campaign.
Well, your DM could just as well throw situations where all those effects aren't that hot as well. Web is useless in open plains, enervation actually makes undeads stronger, grease won't affect flying oponents (or if they just took 5 ranks in balance its effect is greatly reduced), and colour spray, ironically, is mind-affecting itself.

Huh. That's a really good idea.

There. I think those "styles" are fine. I've done the math, and the most amount of Oath Charges per day a verdant prince can receive is 16 at level 20 (10 for 5 Major Oath Bonds and 6 for 6 Intermediate Oath Bonds). Earlier than that, and we're looking at roughly 1-5 Oath Charges per day.
Ok here are my first impressions on the staffs:
-I really feel like you should need to wield it to gain the passive bonus. For the staffs that grant you bonus with a certain kind of weapon, allow the Verdant Prince to turn the staff into said weapon.
-Staff of the Undying Lord passive kinda too strong. The monster class lich demands 10th level and a significant money investment, so you can't just copy its key ability. I would sugest making the Verdant Prince need to sacrifice some exp and/or gold to return to life from its staff (needing to store jewels beforehand, that are consumed when he comes back to life).
-Staff of the All-Knowing Eyes is definetenly too strong for 7th level. Always geting a suprise round is huge, even more when compared with geting just endure elements or a simple weapon proficiency. I would just put uncanny dodge in there, and even then is quite good.
-Other staffs look quite good at first glance, as well as the recovery mechanic.

Shadowknight12

• Monkey bussiness
Well, your DM could just as well throw situations where all those effects aren't that hot as well. Web is useless in open plains, enervation actually makes undeads stronger, grease won't affect flying oponents (or if they just took 5 ranks in balance its effect is greatly reduced), and colour spray, ironically, is mind-affecting itself.

Hah! Point taken. :clap

Ok here are my first impressions on the staffs:
-I really feel like you should need to wield it to gain the passive bonus. For the staffs that grant you bonus with a certain kind of weapon, allow the Verdant Prince to turn the staff into said weapon.

Yeah, my problem with that is that it severely curtails attack modes. Those who don't pick the melee or ranged staves are forced to wield one-handed or light weapons to get the passive benefit. What I'm going to do instead is to allow the verdant prince to turn his staff into any weapon he wants as soon as he gets it, and the decision is permanent in all cases but the melee and ranged staves. That way, if a player wants to wield a longbow but he prefers the Staff of the Emerald Oak, he can take it.

-Staff of the Undying Lord passive kinda too strong. The monster class lich demands 10th level and a significant money investment, so you can't just copy its key ability. I would sugest making the Verdant Prince need to sacrifice some exp and/or gold to return to life from its staff (needing to store jewels beforehand, that are consumed when he comes back to life).

Hmmmm, good point. I made the verdant prince lose a level (as if Raise Dead had been cast upon him), and pay the cost of a Raise Dead spell in something other than diamonds.

-Staff of the All-Knowing Eyes is definetenly too strong for 7th level. Always geting a suprise round is huge, even more when compared with geting just endure elements or a simple weapon proficiency. I would just put uncanny dodge in there, and even then is quite good.

Replaced by the ability to know when he's being observed. It's nifty, but nothing too huge (it can be duplicated by the Commune spell, simply by asking "Am I being observed?").

-Other staffs look quite good at first glance, as well as the recovery mechanic.

I realised that the immunity to charm, domination and command was more or less superseded by other class abilities later on and I didn't want the staff to be useless, so I replaced that with a Sanctuary effect.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Yeah, my problem with that is that it severely curtails attack modes. Those who don't pick the melee or ranged staves are forced to wield one-handed or light weapons to get the passive benefit. What I'm going to do instead is to allow the verdant prince to turn his staff into any weapon he wants as soon as he gets it, and the decision is permanent in all cases but the melee and ranged staves. That way, if a player wants to wield a longbow but he prefers the Staff of the Emerald Oak, he can take it.
I like that, good idea.

Hmmmm, good point. I made the verdant prince lose a level (as if Raise Dead had been cast upon him), and pay the cost of a Raise Dead spell in something other than diamonds.
Nice as well.

Replaced by the ability to know when he's being observed. It's nifty, but nothing too huge (it can be duplicated by the Commune spell, simply by asking "Am I being observed?").
Oh, original!

I realised that the immunity to charm, domination and command was more or less superseded by other class abilities later on and I didn't want the staff to be useless, so I replaced that with a Sanctuary effect.
You should just clarify the DC it's Cha based as well.

Shadowknight12

• Monkey bussiness
Thanks!  :D

You should just clarify the DC it's Cha based as well.

Done. Made it 10 + half HD + Cha mod, mostly so that it stays relevant as he levels up.

Anything else you think I could improve upon? I rather like the way it is now, but I'm always willing to improve. Especially in the name of balance. I don't want to spring something completely unbalanced on my DM.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Incomplete, Please suggest ideas.

Incarnum Dragon

[SPOILER]d12 HD
LevelBase Attack<br>BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialSoulmeldsEssentiaChakra Binds
1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Incarnum Body, Incarnate Breath, +1 Con
2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Keen Senses, Meldshaping, Draconic Connection
3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
Blindsense 60 foot, +1 Con, Incarnate Knowledge +1
4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
Charka Bind(Crown, Feat, Hands), Wings
5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Expaned Soulmeld, Incarnate Feature +1 Cha
6th
+6
+5
+2
+5
,Expanded Soulmeld Capacity +1,  +1 Con, Incarnate Knowledge +2
7th
+7
+5
+2
+5
Growth, Tail Slap
8th
+8
+6
+2
+6
Incarnate Empowerment
9th
+9
+6
+3
+6
+1 Str, Incarnate Knowledge +3
10th
+10
+7
+3
+7
Expaned Soulmeld,Chakra Bind(Arms, Brow, Shouders)  +1 Cha
11th
+11
+7
+3
+7
Arcane Skin
12th
+12
+8
+4
+8
+1 Str, +1 Con, Incarnate Knowledge +4
13th
+13
+8
+4
+8
Indigo Determination, +1 Str, +1 Cha
14th
+14
+9
+4
+9
Frightful presence, Growth
15th
+15
+9
+5
+9
Expaned Soulmeld, +1 Str, +1 Con, Incarnate Knowledge +5
16th
+16
+10
+5
+10
Chakra Bind(Throat, Waist) +1 Cha
17th
+17
+10
+5
+10
Soulmeld Capacity +2,  +1 Str, +1 Con
18th
+18
+11
+6
+11
Chakra Bind(Heart), +1 Cha, Incarnate Knowledge +6
19th
+19
+11
+6
+11
+1 Str, +1 Con
20th
+20
+12
+6
+12
Expaned Soulmeld, +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills: Concentration, Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all taken individually), Listen,  Move Silently, Knowledge(any), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use magic Device.

Incarnum Body:
At 1st level of this class the Incarnum Dragon loses all racial bonus and gains dragon traits. It is a Medium Dragon, 2 claws doing 1d6 + 1/2 Str modifier, a bite doing 1d8 + Str modifier damage and a base speed of 40 foot. The claws are capable of fine manipulation.

The Incarnum dragon also has a natural armor bonus equal to his Con modifier. Whenever the Incarnum dragon grows a size category his Natural armor increases by an extra +1.

Incarnate Breath: 30 ft cone of Incarnum as a standard action. This does 1d6/level damage, and reduces the target's essentia by 1 and additonal 1 per every 4 HD of the Incarnum Dragon.  Reflex DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier halves the damage and the amount of essentia drained. Once used must wait 1d4 rounds before using again. Essentia lost from this breath recovers in 1 hour.

Keen senses: The Incarnum sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 120 feet.

Meldshaping  The Incarnum Dragon has the ability to shape Soulmelds from the Soulborn list. The number of melds the Incarnum Dragon can shape and the amount of essentia the Incarnum Dragon has is given in the table. The Incarnum Dragon and change the amount of essentia invested her soulmelds as a swift action. When gaining this ability choose: Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, or Chaotic Evil. This is your Effective Alignment for which melds you can bind, but you do not have to actually be any these alignments. The Incarnum Dragon's Meldshaper level is equal to his class level. The Difficulty Class against a Incarnum Dragon soulmeld is 10+Con mod+Essentia invested. The maximum number of soulmelds that can be shaped at any time is 10-Constitution score. This a Incarnum Dragon with a Constitution score of 11 could only bind 1 soulmeld, a Incarnum Dragon with a Constitution score of 15 could bind a max of 5 soulmelds.

Essentia Capacity
Character LevelCapacity
1-51
6-112
12-173
18-204

Draconic Connection. The Incarnum Dragon can bind any soulmeld that has the Draconic descriptor, even if it doesn't appear on the list of Soulmelds the Soulborn has access to.

Blindsense: as the normal ability, range 60 ft.

Incarnate KnowledgeAt level 3 and increasing every three levels after that the Incarnum Dragon gains a +1 insight bonus to all knowledge checks.

Charka Bind Begging at level 4, the Incarnum dragon can bind soul melds to the Crown, Feat, and Hands chakras. At level 9 the Incarnum Dragon can bind soulmelds to the Arms, Brow, Shouders chakras. At level 16 the Incarnum Dragon can bind soulmelds to the Throat, Waist chakras. And, At level 18 the Incarnum Dragon can bind soulmelds to the Heart Chakra.

Expaned Soulmeld, At level 5, and every 5 levels thereafter the Incarnum Dragon can add one Soulmeld from the Incarnate or Totemist list to the list of Soulmelds the Incarnum Dragon has access to. The soulmeld chosen can be one that the Incarnum Dragon could not normally bind due to an opposing Effective Alignment. The decision once chosen is permanent, and can only be changed by Limited Wish, Bend Reality, or Miracle.

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity At 6, and again at level 17 the essentia capacity of your Soulmelds increased by 1. This only applies to Soulmelds and not Incarnum Feats, class features, or other essentia receptacles.

Ability increase: The Incarnum dragon gains the following permanent ability bonus at the following levels:
LevelBonus
1st +1 Str
3rd +1 Con
5th+1 Cha
6th+1 Con
9th +1 Str
10th +1 Cha
12th+1 Str, +1 Con
13th +1 Str, +1 Cha
15th +1 Str, +1 Con
16th +1 Cha
17th+1 Str, +1 Con
18th+1 Cha
19th +1 Str, +1 Con
20th +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

So at 20 level it has +8 Str, +7 Con, +6 Cha.

Wings: At 4th level the Incarnum Dragon can fly at a speed of 10 ft/HD with poor maneuverability. Wings can be used to attack, doing 1d4 + Str damage.

Growth: The Incarnum dragon grows one size category gaining all bonus and penalties as stated on the 1st page of this thread.  In addition, a Gold Dragon gains new attack options depending on its size:
7th level: Large: Tail Slap (1d8)
14th level: Huge: Crush (2d8)

Incarnate Feature
At level 5 the Incarnum Dragon picks of the abilities given below
[spoiler]
Smite Opposition.
     Once a day on a melee attack you make add your charisma bonus to your attack roll, and +1 damage per Incarnum Dragon level to the damage roll. These bonuses only apply to an opponent whose alignment opposes at least one of the your Effective Alignment( A Incarnum Dragon with a Effective Alignment of Lawful Good can smite an opponent who is either Chaotic and/or Evil. A Incarnum Dragon whose Effective Alignment is Chaotic Evil can smite an opponent who is either Lawful and/or Good, etc.) An Incarnum Dragon who chooses this ability gains an additional use every 5 levels.

Indigo Turning
     The Incarnum Dragon gains Turn Undead, as a cleric of the his Incarnum Dragon Level. The number of uses the Incarnum Dragon gets is 1+Cha. At the Begging of each day the Incarnum Dragon can invest essentia into the ability, the same way he could invest essentia in an [Incarnum Feat]. For each essentia invested the Incarnum Dragon gains 2 additonal Turn Undead uses, and is treated as two levels higher for the effective cleric level for turning undead. The amount of essentia invested in the ability remains invested until the Incarnum Dragon rebinds his soulmelds.

Azure Rage
     The Incarnum Dragon gains Rage as a Barbarian. Once per day the Incarnum Dragon can fly into a rage as a Barbarian, and every five levels after gaining these ability the Incarnum Dragon gains an additional use of the ability. The At the Begging of each day the Incarnum Dragon can invest essentia into the ability, the same way he could invest essentia in an [Incarnum Feat]. For each essentia invested the bonus to Strength,Constitution, and Will save increase by one, but the penalty to armor class also increases by one. The amount of essentia invested in the ability remains invested until the Incarnum Dragon rebinds his soulmelds.

[/spoiler]

Incarnate Empowerment At 8th level the whenever the Incarnum Dragon is able to use his breath weapon he may instead force that power internally. By doing this he may treat one of your soulmelds, class features, [Incarnum] feats, or other Incarnum receptacles as if it essentia invested equal to its maximum essentia capacity. This is a swift action, and it or the Incarnate Breath can only be used every 1d4 rounds.

Arcane skin: At 11th level the Incarnum dragon gains SR equal to his HD+11

Indigo Determination At level 13 the Incarnum Dragon can invested essential into this ability as a swift action. The Incarnum Dragon gains 5*the amount of essentia invested into this ability temporary hit points. The duration of the temporary hit points is 1d4 rounds, and the essentia invested into this feature remains invested in this feature for the same amount of time.

Frightfull presence:Mantle of Tiamat.
Descriptors: Draconic, Evil

Classes: Soulborn, totemist

Chakra: Heart, shoulders (totem)

Saving Throw: Reflex

Incarnum forms a chormatic wrapping around your shoulders. The wrapping hovers above your back and shoulders, having an almost winglike appearance.

You draw on the incarnum of the mightiest evil dragon to grant you power. You gain a +3 damage increase to any breath weapon you may have. If you do not have a breath weapon you gain a Breath weapon of a 30ft cone that deals 1d4 damage, and is usable every 1d4 rounds. The damage type of the breath weapon may be fire,cold,acid or electricity chosen at the time of binding.

Essentia: For every essential invested in this meld, the damage of the breath weapon increases by 3, and the area of the breath weapon increases by 10ft.

Chakra Bind (Heart)

A five headed crest appears on your chest
You gain the ability to take control of Dragon who are of the Evil alignment. This is a standard action that  functions like Charm Monster, but only applies to creatures of the Dragon type, and who are of the Evil Alignment, and it ignores innate spell resistances most dragons have, but not spell resistance from other sources. The duration is 1 hour/level, but you may only have one dragon charmed at any give time. If you would charm another you lose control of the dragon you had previously charmed. This is a mind-effecting ability.
Saving Throw:Will

Chakra Bind (Shoulders)
Chromatic Wings drape over your shoulds, protecting you are energy attacks
You gain resistance to acid, electricity, fire, and cold equal to 5 x the number of points of essentia invested in this soulmeld. If you already have resistance to any of these energy types from another source, it stacks with the resistance granted by this chakra bind.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
Claws hands appear over your own granting you claws that are treated as primary natural weapons.
These claws deal 1d6 damage, and 1d4 energy damage. The energy damage may be fire,cold,acid or electricity chosen at the time of binding. For every essentia invested into this meld the claw damage increases by one size category, and the energy damage increases by 1d4.

Eyes of Bahamut
Descriptors: Draconic, Good
Classes: Soulborn, Incarnate
Platinum Lens surround your lens allows you to see deeper into others. And warn you of hostile intent
You can use detect evil, as the spell at will  with caster level equal to meldshaper level.
Essentia: For every essentia invested into this soulmeld you gain +1 armor bonus and +1 to all saving throws against attacks and abilities made by opponents of the Evil alignment.

Crown of the Gem Dragons.
Descriptors: Draconic
Classes: Incarnate

A crystal band appearing like a psicrown appears on your head allowing the power of the psionic dragons fill you will talent psionic knowledge.
You gain +4 insight bonus on concentration, Autohypnosis, Knowledge (Psionics), Psicraft  Use Psionic Device checks and are able to use and you can make these checks untrained.
Essentia: Every point of essentia you have invested in your Crown of the Gem Dragons increases the insight bonus by 2.

Chakra Bind(Crown)
The crystal band turns Emerald as the essence of the Emerald Dragon protects you from sonic attacks.
You gain resistance to Sonic equal to 4 x the number of points of essentia invested in this soulmeld.  If you already have resistance to sonic from another source, it stacks with the resistance granted by this chakra bind. You also gain 1 x the number of points of essentia invested in this soulmeld  insight bonus to all saving throws against spells or powers with the [Sonic] Descriptor.

Chakra Bind(Heart)
A purple crystal hear appears on your chest.
You gain the telekinetic mastery of the Amethyst Dragon. You gain the Telekinetic Force, and the Telekinetic Thrust powers as psi-like abilities usable at will. Manifester level equal to Meldshaper level.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:57:20 PM by the_shadowmind »

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Geriviar

[spoiler]
HD:d8
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
1+0+2+0 +0Geriviar Body, Powerful Build, Bonus Feat, +1 Str, +1 Con
2+1+3+0 +0Hardened Skin, +1 Str, +1 Con
3+2+3+1+1Brutal Cunning, Leap, +1 Str, +1 Con
4+3+4 +1+1Growth, Throw Rock, Catch, +1 Str, +1 Con
5+3+4+1+1Regeneration, Personal Creation, +1 Str, +1 Con
6+4+5+2+2Land Reshaper, Brutal Health, +1 Str, +1 Con
7+5+5+2+2Stone Flesh, Deafening Scream, +1 Str, +1 Con
8+6+6+2+2Extra Arms, Sprint,+1 Str,  +1 Con
9+6+6+3+3Batter, Stone Will, +1 Str, +1 Con
10+7+7+3 +3Siege Rocks, +1 Str, +1 Co
11+8+7+3+3Timed Nodules, Crushing Fist, +1 Str, +1 Con
12+9+8+4+4Siege Scream, Hardened Flesh,+1 Str,  +1 Con
13+9+8+4+4 Earth Repulse, Stone Toughts, +1 Str, +1 Con
14+10+9+4+4 Smoke Nodes, Double Throw, +1 Str, +1 Con
15+11+9+5+5 Ablative Hide, Greater Sprint, +1 Str, +1 Con
16+12+10+5+5 Flash Node, Planar Siege, +1 Str, +1 Con
17+12+10+5+5Siege Mode, Node Sprout, Explosive Delivery,+1 Str, +1 Con
18+13+11+6 +6Heavy Bombardment, Outlast, +1 Str, +1 Con
19+14+11 +6 +6Breaking Assault, Uncompromising Tenacity, +1 Str, +1 Con
Skills:4+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills are Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Intimidate,  Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Proficiencies:Simple weapons and his own natural weapons.

Features:

Geriviar Body:The Geriviar loses all other racial bonus and gains giant traits (basicaly low light vision). He is a medium sized giant with base speed 40 feets, two arms each able to perform a natural slam attack dealing 1d8+Str mod damage and a bite attack dealing 1d6+1/2 Str mod.

The Geriviar also gains a bonus to Nat armor equal to 2+Con modifier.

Ability increase:The Daelkyr gains +1 Str and +1 Con at every level for a total of +19 Str, +19 Con at 20th level.

Bonus Feat: The Geriviar  gains either Improved Bull Rush or Improved Sunder as a bonus feat even if it doesn't meet the prerequisites. It may use its own natural weapons for sunder atempts. If he ever gains Improved Sunder, he may Intimidate merchants into buying the broken pieces of any item he destroys for the normal price.

Powerful Build: Hardened Skin: Brutal Cunning: At 3rd level the Geriviar can use Invisibility as a SLA 1/day per HD.

Leap: At 3rd level a Geriviar can always take 10 on Jump checks. Also, if a Geriviar leaps down from a great height, a successful DC 15 Jump check negates the damage from the fi rst 60 feet of the fall, as opposed to the first 10 feet. For every 5 points the  Geriviar beats that check, it can ignore the next 60 feet of the fall.

Growth: At fourth level, the Geriviar  finishes growing to large size but loses Powerful Build.  His AC, bonus to hit, slam damage, grapple and skills change accordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.  His base speed increases by 10 feet.

The Geriviar continues to grow trough its existence.
At 8HD, the Geriviar  reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Huge size.
At 12HD, the Geriviar  grows to Huge size and loses Powerful Build.
At 16HD, the Geriviar  reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Gargantuan size.
At 20HD, the Geriviar  grows to Gargantuan size and loses Powerful Build.

His base speed also increases an extra 10 feet again at  12 and 20 HD.

Throw Rock: At fourth level, the Geriviar  may begin throwing boulders or other large objects.  A giant of at least Large size can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to 600 feet. A Huge giant can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects). A Gargantuan giant can hurl rocks of 90 to 120 pounds (large objects).  Inanimate objects of similar size and heft may be used as well, but they deal the same damage as a rock of same weight.

Catch:  At fourth level, a Geriviar  that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) The giant must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Regeneration: Exploding Nodules:Land Reshaper: At 6th level the Geriviar can use Stone Shape and Stone Spikes  as a SLA 1/day for every 2 HD he has. Save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Con mod.

At 12 HD he may use them as a move action. At 18 HD as a swift action.

Brutal health: at 6th level the Geriviar becomes immune to  disease.

Deafening Scream: At 7th level the  Geriviar can use Shout as a SLA 1/day per 2 HD he has, except it deals 1d6 damage per HD to non-crystaline creatures and 2d6 damage per HD to brittle or crystaline objects and creatures, whitout any cap. The save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier. Plus even if the targets suceed on their saves, they're still deafened for 1 round.

Stone Flesh:  At 7th level the Geriviar becomes immune to poison, and can also use Jump as a SLA on itself at will, but you can't have more than one on yourself at any time.

Extra Arms:
At 8th level the Geriviar grows two extra fully fuctional arms, that may also be used to deliver slam attacks as his original arms. Notice throwing a rock or exploding node demands two arms, so the new extra arms only allow for one extra ranged attack per round.

Sprint:At 8th level the Geriviar can sprint on all six limbs. A geriviar that takes the run action moves six times his speed.

Batter: At 9h level the Geriviar is especially ferocious and adept at attacking  objects. It ignores half the hardness of any objects he hits. As a swift action, it may fully ignore the hardness of the next object he hits during this round.

Stone Will: at 9th level  the Geriviar can use Telekinesis as a SLA 1/day per 2 HD, save DC being 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. He may keep concentration of this effect as a swift or move action instead of the normal standard action.

Siege Rocks: At 10th level as a swift action the Geriviar may channel his earth powers into a rock or exploding nodle to make them crush trough petty magics and strike true. If he does so, that weapon gains the ghost touch property for 1 round, ignores adverse wind conditions (even magic ones like Wind Wall), can re-roll failed miss chances, and any oponents struck by it are subject to a greater dispel magic effect with CL equal to HD  (targeted dispel magic for a rock, area dispel magic for an exploding node). In the case of an exploding node, it may even end normally undispellable magic effects like a Wall of Force, but the dispel DC is 5 higher.

Crushing Fist: At 11th   level the Geriviar  gains Improved Sunder or Improved Bullrush as a bonus feat (if he already has both, he gains a bonus feat of his choice).

In addition, as an attack action, the Geriviar may smash the equipment of an oponent and with the same move send them tumbling away! This works as a sunder atempt that can be immediatily followed by a free bullrush atempt on the wielder of the equipment.

Timed Nodules: At 11th level the Geriviar gains some natural control of the chemicals inside his exploding nodes, allowing him to make them explode faster or slower. He may either make them explode in mid-air after traveling a certain distance, or may drop them harmlessly on a surface and explode any number of rounds later, chosen at the time the nodes are detached from his body. He cannot delay the explosion for more rounds than he has HD.

Siege Scream: At 12th level, as a standard action, the Geriviar may scream with such power that even the rocks themselves around him crack. This works as a Greater Shout a SLA useable  1/day for every 4 HD he has, except it deals 1d6 damage per HD to non-crystaline creatures and objects on the area, and 2d6 damage per HD to brittle or crystaline objects and creatures, whitout any cap. The save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier. Plus even if the targets suceed on their saves, they're still deafened for 1d6 rounds.

Hardened Flesh: At 12th level the Geriviar becomes fully immune to Fire and Sonic.

Earth Repulse: At 13th level the Geriviar may use Reverse Gravity 1/day for every 4 HD he has. Save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier.

Stone Toughts: At 13th level the Geriviar becomes immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Double Throw: At 14th level the Geriviar can throw two stones or two exploding nodes at full attack bonus as a standard action.

Smoke Nodes: At 14th level the Geriviar may make any of his nodes produce a Fog Cloud effect on the area where they explode that lasts for 1d6 rounds. This option must be chosen before throwing the nodes.

Ablative Hide: At 15th level the Geriviar can detonate one of the exploding nodes on his body as an immediate action to try to block any one harmfull  attack. The attacker must suceed on a reflex save with the same DC as the exploding node or their attack fails. This also deals damage in a 10 foot spread centered on the Geriviar as if it had detonated one exploding node over himself, altough the Geriviar himself isn't hurt by this.

Greater Sprint: at 15th level the Geriviar may run as a move action provided he has his hands free and is wearing no armor.

Flash Node:  At 16th level as a swift action the Geriviar can make one of the exploding nodes on his body more unstable than normal, making it explode in a blinding flash coupled with an ear-spliting sound. Oponents failing their Reflex save against the Exploding Node are blinded and deafened for 2d6 rounds. Even if they suceed on the save they'restill blinded and deafened for 1 round. The flash node must be removed from the Geriviar on the same round or this bonus is lost.

Planar Siege: At 16th level the Geriviar may force open any portal, extraplanar entrance or the like with an explosive node. The passage can now be used by any creature for 1 round per HD.

Explosive Delivery: At 17th level as a fullround action the Geriviar may mash togheter four explosive nodes with a boulder and throw it as a normal rock throw attack. It deals normal damage as a rock, and then deals 1d12 fire damage and 1d12 slashing damage per 2 HD in a 40 feet spread. This may be combined with Flash Node or Siege Rocks (in which case it causes a targeted dispel on an enemy hit and an area dispel on the spread).

Node Sprout: At 17th level a number of times per day equal to his Con mod the Geriviar may instantly regrow one node as a  swift action, 1d6 nodes as a move action, 2d6 nodes as a standard action or all his nodes as a fullround action.

Siege Mode: At 18th level the Geriviar may as a swift action grant the Siege Rocks ability to all his thrown explosive nodes and rocks for 1 round.

Outlast: At 18th level the Geriviar is well used to engaging in attrition battles at range, whitstanding siege engine  direct hits and mage blasts whitout flinching. He now has 25% chance of completely ignoring any non-melee attack.

Heavy Bombardment: At 18th level as a standard action the Geriviar may throw up to half his max number of explosive nodes in large arcs trough the air. This multiplies their range increment by 10, but also means they  only reach their target areas after 1 round, and the trajectory is so easy to read that your oponents know where they're gonna fall and may move out of the way during their own turns. Gerivars usually use this to either target static targets or to pin down oponents in preparation for another attack.

Breaking Assault:
At 19th level the Geriviar can unleash his more devastating attack honing all his siege powers a number of times per day equal to his Con mod. As a fullround action he performs a charge against one oponent, but may move up to six times his base speed, and during it he throws  up to four explosive nodes at said target, proceeding to making one sunder atempt at the end of the charge, one bite attack, one slam attack, and one bullrush to seal the deal. If this is combined with Flash nodes, it affects all the explosive nodes. If this is combined with Siege Mode, the natural attacks cause targeted dispels on top of the explosive nodes area dispels. If the target is bullrushed into an obstacle, botth it and the target take an additional 1d8 damage for every 5 feet it still had to move from the bullrush, ignoring all hardness. If the obstacle was magical, it's automatically dispelled.

Uncompromising Tenacity:  Once a geriviar undertakes a task or makes up its mind to accomplish something, only death or an incredible will can prevent it from following the task through to its completion. And sometimes not even that. At 19th level 1/day as a free action even if it isn't his turn, if the geriviar would somehow be rendered incapable of acting like being disabled, transported to another dimension or killed, he may simply ignore that and keep fighting! For 1 round per HD the Geriviar only dies if he reaches negative HP equal to his max HP and has 75% chance of ignoring all harmfull effects directed at him (doesn't stack with Outlast).  He may die at the end of this duration if his HP is too much on the negatives.
[/spoiler]

Comments
[spoiler]
Four-armed giant which grows organic grenades from his back? Hell yeah!

This one is a pretty straighforward monster that focus heavily on ranged combat and taking hits to the face. His explosive nodes are far from his only weapon as he also can use standard big rocks and has some nice ofensive SLAs like telekinesis and reverse gravity. Plus some suport in the form of invisibility and Stone shape. Added in Stone spikes since I believe it fits. You can add extra effects to the explosive nodes and gain new forms of using them as you level up.

So if you want to play a living ranged siege engine, the Geriviar is for you!

[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Malebranche

[SPOILER]
HD:d8
LevelBase Attack BonusFortRefWillFeature
1+1+2+0+2Body for War, Improved Grab, +1 Str
2+2+3+0+3Devil, Cruel Intent, +1 Con
3+3+3+1+3Hidden Cunning, Battle Hardened, +1 Str
4+4+4+1+4Wings, +1 Con
5+5+4+1+4Growth, Hell Target, +1 Str
6+6/1+5+2+5Malicious Intent, +1 Str, +1 Con
7+7/2+5+2+5Diabolic Vision, +1 Str, +1 Con
8+8/3+6+2+6Hell Veteran, Crush Magic, +1 Con
9+9/4+6+3+6Devilish Presence, +1 Str
10+10/5+7+3+7Growth, Sinister Intent +1 Str, +1 Con
11+11/6/1+7+3+7Powerful Assault, +1 Str, +1 Con
12+12/7/2+8+4+8Greater Body for War, +1 Str, +1 Con
13+13/8/3+8+4+8Fanatism, +1 Str, +1 Con
14+14/9/4+9+4+9Perfect Body for War, Sinister Intent, +1 Str, +1 Con
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Search, Spot, Use Magic Device
Skill Points: 6+Int Mod (quadruple at first level)

Proficiencies: You are proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons, and with Light Armor.

Body for War: You lose all racial modifiers and abilities and gain outsider traits(basically darkvision 60 feet). You are a Medium Sized outsider with  a Gore Attack that deals 1d6+Strength Modifier damage and two Claw Attacks that deal 1d4+1/2 Strenght Modifier damage. You also gain Power Attack as a Bonus Feat. You have a base land speed of 40 ft.

You also gain a Natural Armor Bonus equal to your Constitution Modifier.

Improved Grab: Your claws gain Improved Grab  as the Ability. At 8 HD you ignore Freedom of Movement effects.

Ability Increase: You gain:
+1 Strength at every Level except 2 and 4 and 8th
+1 Constitution at every level except at 1st, 3rd, and 9th

For a total of +11 Str and +11 Con at 14th level.

Devil:At 2nd level the Malebranche gains resistance to fire and and a bonus on saves against poison equal to his HD, and resistance to acid and cold equal to half his HD. Plus telepathy 40 feets plus 10 feets for each extra HD from here. Also gains the evil and lawful subtypes and his weapons/natural attacks count as evil and lawfull for bypassing DR.

Cruel Intent: You care not for paltry tricks, and everyone you face knows it. At 2nd Level, your Melee attacks (Both Natural and Manufactured) have a 25% to ignore Concealment, Cover and Damage Reduction from any source.

Hidden Cunning: Others may take you as nothing but an oaf. Even more will take you as a tool. But you know better. And you make sure anyone who tries to take control of you knows better. At 3rd Level, you gain a +2 Bonus to Will Saves against Mind-Affecting Spells and effects. At every odd level afterwards, this bonus increases by 1. At 10 HD, you may atempt a new save against one Mind-affecting spell or effect currently afecting you. If you suceed the effect is removed.

Battle Hardened: Your time fighting has made you adapt to the mysteries of the Arcane and Divine. At 3rd level you gain SR equal to 11+HD and DR/magic  equal to half your HD. You may drop or raise your SR at any time as a free action even if it isn't your turn.

Wings: At 4th level you gain a pair of demonic wings that allow you to fly at a speed of 10 feet per HD with average maneuverability.

Growth: At 5th Level you grow to Large Size. Your ability scores do not change due to your increased size, but you do gain the normal bonuses and penalties of being Large sized. At 10th Level you grow to Huge Size. You gain all benefits of an increase in size, but your ability scores do not change because of it.

Hell Target: At 5th level as a swift action you may mark one you may mark one oponent you attacked this turn in melee regardless of hiting or missing. For 1 round, it will provoke attacks of oportunity for taking 5 feet steps, casting quickened spells, and the DC of any tumble and defensive castings they perform is increased by an amount equal to your Bab.

Malicious Intent: You grow tired of having others attempt to dodge your blows or resist them. At 6th Level, your Melee attacks (Both Natural and Manufactured) have a 50% to ignore Concealment, Cover and Damage Reduction from any source.

Diabolic Vision: The illusions of the world hold no merit over you! Starting at 7th level, you gain a +2 to any Save to any spell of the Illusion School. This bonus increases by 1 for every 3 HD you have. Additionally, if you have struck the creature at least once, you are treated as having True Seeing on that Creature for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution Modifier.

Hell Veteran: Time in battle has exposed you to more and more elements of warfare. At 8th level you become fully immune to poison and fire, your DR/magic, acid and cold resistance are doubled and you gain Regeneration equal to half your HD, which is bypassed by Acid.

Crush Magic:You don't need magic tricks to fight, and you laugh at oponents that think themselves safe behind such petty things. As a swift action you may boost your next melee attack so that it ignores any magic miss chances (including mirror images) and magic bonus to AC, even those from Supernatural abilities. If the attack deals damage, the target automatically loses all temporary(with a duration) magic effects that grant a bonus to AC and miss chances, including supernatural abilities.

Devilish Presence: At 9th Level you gain a Fear Aura (Will Save DC: 10+1/2 HD+Con Mod) that spreads out 20 ft. from you at end of each of your turns. On a failed save, creatures are panicked for 1 round per HD. On a successful save, a creature cannot be affected by the your Aura for the next 24 Hours. Other Baatezu are not affected by this. Allies of your choice are not affected by this Aura as well.

At 13 HD this can affect even creatures immune to Fear effects, but they gain a +5 bonus on their saves.

Sinister Intent: Each blow you deal hits hard, taking most creatures aback at how powerful each one is. At 10th Level, your Melee attacks (Both Natural and Manufactured) have a 75% chance to ignore Concealment, Cover and Damage Reduction from any source.

Powerful Assault: You're an expert of charging head on into battle, not giving your oponent any time to react. When charging, if you use your Gore natural attack, no oponents may take free and/or immediate actions against you, and you deal double damage with your Gore natural attack. If you hit, your oponent must also suceed on a reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Strenght modifier or be unable to move from their current spot for 1d4 rounds, even trough magic means.

You may also charge right trough obstacles by suceeding on a break check as part of the charge, as long as you know the position of the enemy. In the case of magic obstacles that can't be destroyed by normal physical means, you may atempt a dispel check with CL equal to your HD. This may even destroy undispellable effects like a Wall of Force, but the DC is 5 more harder than normal.

Greater Body for War: Your name is whispered by lower Devils, and your body has grown and changed, being filled with scars... along with your mind. At 12th Level You gain Improved Initiative as a Bonus Feat, and 1/hour per HD you may add your Constitution modifier to any 1d20 roll after you rolled (but before you know the result) as an Immediate action.

Fanatism :
You're prepared to overcome pain and make any sacrifice to perform your tasks. At 13th level if you would be affected by any harmfull effect except damage, you may delay it for 1 round by taking 2d12 damage, which allows you to ignore it for 1 round. At the begginning of your next turn, you may delay it again by taking another 4d12 damage, and so on, always doubling the damage taken. This damage bypasses your regeneration. You may delay multiple effects.

Killing Intent: You're a finely honed killing machine, your strikes performed whitout any kind of mercy or hesitation. At 14th Level, your Melee attacks (Both Natural and Manufactured) have a 100% chance to ignore Concealment, Cover and Damage Reduction from any source.

Perfect Body for War: You're a fearsome sight to behold. Countless demons speak of your kind, and those who meet you or see you, are reassured of the intimidating tales. 1/day as a swift action you may extend your Devilish Presence to 10 feet per HD, and even creatures that already saved against you in the last 24 hours must save again. Creatures that were already panicked and fail the new save die out of pure fear.

[/SPOILER]

Comments
[spoiler]
The Malebranche is an interesting Devil in that despite being CR 14 it has no SLAs whatsoever and suposedly is all brawn and little brains. While other high level devils are tactical genius and manipulators, the Malebranche is the elite brute that actualy does the dirty work, because somebody has to smash faces hard at the end of the day.

Thus it gets a lot of brutish abilities, some anti-magic tricks, improved immunities and ability scores and the ability to shrug off anything with HP.

So if you want to play a more direct devil that crushes his oponents directly into pulp instead of trickery and subterfuge, the Malebranche's for you!
[/spoiler]

Dralnu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
This thread is AWESOME and I'll be pointing my friends over here whenever they want to play monsters as PCs.

I'm currently running a PbP over here and one of the players is playing oslecamo's Blue Dragon, though I just noticed we're using the outdated GiTP version, I'll have to fix that. I should note that the party averages to mid/low tier 3 (we've got a warblade and a warmage along with more homebrew).

Anyway, we made a change to the class by making the initial starting size Small and adding a Growth at level 4 to Medium. This was in part because we felt that the class is a little too strong at the beginning. d12 HP, 2 claws 1d6 and a bite 1d8, 40ft. land speed along with burrowing capabilities, seemed like too much at level 1, and soon after that it picks up breath attack + (bardic progression) sorcerer spellcasting + flight between 2-4. I think the class evens out a bit once the party has acquired wealth for things such as full plate and magical items, but at least for the first few levels it felt like too much. Small size at least nerfs the damage capability a bit. The other reason was the player's desire to start as a Wyrmling, aka Small.

Anyway, that's my 2cents on that class. I'm not saying you should change anything, just reporting what's working for us. I'll update again as the group progresses higher in levels. We're doing a "1 encounter = +1 level" format, so hopefully in a month from now they'll be around level 8.

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
you may add your Constitution modifier to any 1d20 roll after you rolled (but before you know the result) as an Immediate action.
:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Surely this needs to have a limited use per day... otherwise every roll will get my con mod to it forever  :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
you may add your Constitution modifier to any 1d20 roll after you rolled (but before you know the result) as an Immediate action.

Surely this needs to have a limited use per day... otherwise every roll will get my con mod to it forever  :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

It costs you an immediate action, which means you can only use it once per round at best, and if you do use it you can't use your other swift-action options like Hell Target and Crush Magic.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email

Surely this needs to have a limited use per day... otherwise every roll will get my con mod to it forever  :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

It costs you an immediate action, which means you can only use it once per round at best, and if you do use it you can't use your other swift-action options like Hell Target and Crush Magic.

You should still limit it per day, otherwise it becomes a big boost to all the out of combat stuff. Make it 1/HD, so you start out with 12 uses which should be plenty but still very different from at will.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

oslecamo

• Grape ape
It was kinda intended to be used to out of combat stuff. The Malebranche doesn't really have anything else on the realm of out-of-combat utility besides its basic skills, which really isn't aceptable at 12th level. Everybody else by then has at least something that can be potentialy used outside of combat.

So what's the worst that could happen with the Malebranche boosting his skills with his out of combat experience  to help the party when they don't need to break stuff?

At-will may be a little too much,  but 1/HD per day means you'll want to save those for your expected 4 combat per day, so I'm going to change it to 1/HD per hour for now.

If you have some other idea for out of combat utility for what it's otherwise a big brute magicless devil I'm all hears.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use!
« Reply #616 on: June 30, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Anaxim

[spoiler]
LevelBABFortRefWillFeatures
1   +0   +0   +0   +0   Apocalyptic Engine, Electricity Discharge, Multi-Purpose Arms
2   +1   +0   +0   +0   Divine Construction, Rend, Str +1, Cha +1
3   +2   +1   +1   +1   Ancient Senses, Defensive Plating, Str +1
4   +3   +1   +1   +1   Bolter Guns, Minor Divine Artifice, Cha +1
5   +3   +1   +1   +1     Heliblades, Inspired Design, Str +1
6   +4   +2   +2   +2   Lesser Divine Artifice, Cha +1
7   +5   +2   +2   +2   Axiomatic Defense, Sonic Blast, Str +1
8   +6/+1   +2   +2   +2   Never Stoping Machine, Cha +1
9   +6/+1   +3   +3   +3   Divine Artifice, Divine Construction, Str +1
10   +7/+2   +3   +3   +3   Pneumatic Pummeler, Platings of Mass Defence, Cha +1
11   +8/+3   +3   +3   +3   Unfinished Protocols, Str +1, Cha +1
12   +9/+4   +4   +4   +4   True Sight, Str +1, Cha +1
13   +9/+4   +4   +4   +4   Weapons of Mass Destruction, Str +1, Cha+1
14   +10/+5   +4   +4   +4   Iron Companion, Channel the Machine, Str +1, Cha +1
15   +11/+6/+1   +5   +5   +5
16   +12/+7/+2   +5   +5   +5   Drill Trough, Str +1, Cha+1
17   +12/+7/+2   +5   +5   +5   Determining Blow, Str +1, Cha+1
18   +13/+8/+3   +6   +6   +6   Supreme Divine Artifice, Str +1, Cha +1
19   +14/+9/+4   +6   +6   +6   Metal Vengeance, Str +1, Cha +1
20   +15/+10/+5   +6   +6   +6   Apocalyptic Drive, Undivine Spark, Str +1, Cha+1
21   +15/+10/+5   +6   +6   +6     Potential unleashed, Str+1, Cha+1.
22   +16/+11/+6   +7   +7   +7     Ghost in the Machine, Str+1, Cha+1.
Class Skills (2+ Int Modifier, quadruple at first level): An Anaxim has no class skills.

Proficiencies: Anaxim are proficient with their natural weapons only.

Features:

Apocalyptic Engine: An Anaxim loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a construct, with all of it's penalties and disadvantages, except for the extra HP:
[spoiler]
# No Constitution score.
# Low-light vision.
# Darkvision out to 60 feet.
# Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
# Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
# Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by certain spells. The DM may also allow the construct to be repaired with the use of the right skills with the right tools. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from this quality.
# Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
# Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
# Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
# Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected except for limited wish, wish and miracle. The 1st makes the construct lose a level, the other two don't.
#However, it can be "repaired" if destroyed by spending 24 hours of work and 500 GP of materials, wich make it lose a level.
[/spoiler]

The Anaxim is a medium sized construct with a roughly humanoid body (two arms, two legs, head), base speed 40 feet, and is under effect of a permanent NonDetection effect with a Caster Level equal to its HD.

It also gains a bonus to its Nat armor equal to 2+Cha modifier. Finally it gains +1 HP per HD at 5 HD. This bonus increases to +2 at 10 HD, +3 at 15 HD, and +4 at 20 HD.

Multi-Purpose Arms: As a swift action the Anaxim can reconfigure one or both of its hands into Slams, drills or Spinning Blades, these are primary natural weapons that deal 1d8 + Str modifier Bludgeoning//Piercing/Slashing damage respectively. Further, the slams count both as natural and as manufactured weapons for the purpose of spells. The anaxim can have one hand configured into a slam and another hand configured into a spinning blade if it so wishes, both attacks are treated as primary. They can also be permanently enchanted as normal weapons provided the Anaxim finds a willing spellcaster to do it and is present for the whole process.

Electricity Discharge: At 1st level, the anaxim has the ability to unleash a potent electrical discharge from its body as a standard action. This discharge can take the form of either a touch attack or  a touch ray attack with a range of 10 feet per HD. Either way, it deals 1d6 damage per HD.

Divine Construction: At 2nd level the anaxim gains fast healing and DR/chaotic and adamantine both equal to half its HD. It also receives the Chaotic subtypes and all its attacks count as Chaotic and Adamantine for bypassing DR.

Rend:At 2nd level if the anaxim hits with both spinning blades, it slices particularly well. This attack automatically deals additional damage equal to twice the spinning blade damage plus 1,5 Str mod.

Ability Score Increases: The Anaxim gains a permanent +1 to

Str at all levels except 1, 4, 6, 8, 10.

Cha at all levels except 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

For a total of +15 Str and +15 Cha at level 20 and +17 Str and +17 Cha at level 22.

Ancient Senses: At 3rd level, the Anaxim gains Blindsense with a range of 15 feet per HD and telepathy with twice that range.

Defensive Plating: At 3rd level the Anaxim gains SR equal to 15+HD, plus resistance to fire and cold equal to its HD. It may raise or lower its SR as a free action at any time even if it isn't its turn.

Bolter Guns: At 4th level, the Anaxim adds two bolter guns to its arsenal. A bolter gun is a built-in ranged weapon with a range increment of 120 feet that deals damage equal 1d6 +Strength modifier, and counts as both a natural weapon and as a manufactured weapon, including being able to perform iterative attacks if the Anaxim has enough Bab and attacking with them both in a fullattack whitout penalty. The Anaxim will never run out bolts to fire. In a full attack it can combine its Bolter Guns with other ranged weapons, but not melee attacks.

The bolter guns can also be used to perform bullrush, trip, disarm and sunder atempts at range. They can also be permanently enchanted as normal weapons provided the Anaxim finds a willing spellcaster to do it and is present for the whole process.

At 8 HD and every 4 HD thereafter the Anaxim gains a new bolter gun.

Minor Divine Artifice: Starting at 4th level, the anaxim gains the power to ignite the latent divine power within itself to imitate magic, gaining the power to cast spell-like abilities. Any save DCs for the Anaxim's SLAs are equal to 10+1/2HD+Cha modifier.

At 4th level, the anaxim can use Blur and Invisibility once per day per HD.

Heliblades: Starting at 5th level, the anaxim gains a fly speed equal to 10 feet per HD, with perfect maneuverability.

Inspired Design:
At 5th level the Anaxim's spinning blades/slams now deal damage as if the Anaxim was one size category larger and its land speed increases by 20 feet. Its bolter guns also ignore adverse wind conditions now, including magic ones like Wind Wall.

Lesser Divine Artifice: At 6th level the anaxim gains the ability to use Displacement, Dispel Magic, Greater Magic Weapon, Lighting Bolt and Magic Vestment as SLAs 1/day per HD. At 11 HD the Dispel Magic Upgrades to Greater Dispel Magic. The Lighting Bolt has no damage cap.

In addition the Anaxim can now count its own body as a suit of armor for purposes of receiving benefical spells like Magic vestment, including being permanently enchanted provided the Anaxim finds a spellcaster willing to do the work and is present for the whole process.

Axiomatic Defense:
At 7th level, the Anaxim can fully ignore harmfull effects of spells of level (Anaxim Level/2)-1. This isn't just limited to spells wich allow SR. An Anaxim would just stomp over an Entangle spell, and a magic orb would harmlessly dissipate over it's plating.

In adition, the Anaxim can fully ignore harmfull Su abilities from oponents with less HD than it has Anaxim levels.

If all Anaxim levels are taken, then it becomes immune to all magical and supernatural effects.
The Anaxim may still let benefical effects affect him as normal either way.

Sonic Blast: At 7th level as a standard action, an anaxim can emit a  cone with 10 feet per HD of sonic energy that deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per HD to all creatures that fail a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod). Those that succeed take half damage. Creatures failing the save are also deafened for 1 round per HD, those making the save are just deafened for 1 round. Creatures deafened by this effect take a penalty to Concentration checks equal to the Anaxim's HD.

Never Stoping Machine: At 8th level the Anaxim becomes immune to polymorphing, petrification and any other effects that would alter its form.

Divine Artifice: At 9th level the anaxim gains the ability to use Greater invisibility, Dimensional Anchor and Chain Lighting as SLAs 1/day per 2 HD. The Chain Lighting has no cap to damage.

Divine Construction: Starting at 9th level the anaxim gains bonus hit points per HD based on his charisma modifier.

Pneumatic Pummeler : Starting at 10th level, whenever the anaxim hits its target with a slam, it may pummel the victim into submission, starting a bull rush, disarm, sunder, grapple or trip attempt as a free action that does not cause an attack of opportunity. The Anaxim gains a bonus on this maneuvers equal to the damage dealt by the slam. This ignores freedom of movement effects.

If the anaxim chooses to bull rush its target, it does not need to move along the victim.

If this attempt fails, the target cannot attempt to trip the anaxim in return.

Platings of Mass Defence: At 10th level the Anaxim adds his Cha mod to all saves and Natural Armor bonus. The extra natural armor bonus gained from this ability also counts against touch attacks.

Unfinished Protocols: at 11th level the Anaxim can use Dictum, Ethereal Jaunt and Destruction as SLAs 1/day per 4 HD.

True Sight: At 12th level the Xixecal is under a permanent True Sight effect.

Weapons of Mass Destruction:
The Anaxim may not be very big, but that doesn't mean it cannot butcher whole armies by now. At 13th level when the Anaxim hits an oponent with its Slam/Spinning blade, it may choose to extend its mechanical arm to also attack all creatures adjacent to the first one with the same attack! This stacks with Pneumatic Pummeler.

In addition if firing its bolters, the Anaxim may choose for them to affect a 120 feet line instead of the normal range. All creatures inside that line must suceed on a reflex save with DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod or take the bolter damage. This  option ignores miss chances from enemies bigger than the Anaxim.

Iron Companion: At 14th level the Anaxim as a standard action 1/day the Anaxim can infuse an adjacent pile of scrap with artificial life, turning it into an Iron Golem under the Anaxim's command. The Anaxim may not have more than one Iron Golem under its control this way.

At 16 HD and every 2 HD thereafter the Anaxim may use this ability one extra time per day and control more than one Iron Golem at a time. In addition he may as a move actionfuse two adjacent Iron Golems created this way into a 36 HD advanced Iron Golem of Huge size, or three golems into a 54 HD advanced Iron Golem of Huge size. They count as two and three Iron Golems for how many you can control  at a time respectively.

Channel the Machine: At 14th level whenever the Anaxim hits an oponent in melee, it may as a swift action cast Dictum, Dimensional Anchor, Lighting Bolt, Chain Lighting or Greater Dispel Magic targeting the enemy struck in melee.

Impossible Design:At 15th level the Anaxim gains an extra pair of arms that can be turned into Slams/spinning blades as well, and it may now use its Electrecity Discharge 1/round as a free action. It may also change its arms into Slams/spinning blades as a free action.

Iron Determination:at 15th level the Anaxim adds his Cha mod to its Fast Healing rate.

Drill Trough: At 16th level the Anaxim can pierce the heavens themselves if needed. If it has at least one arm in drill mode, it may as an free action (even if it isn't its turn) block any enemy attack that would affect it by suceeding on an attack roll with its drill against the attack roll/save DC of the oponent's attack. If it doesn't normally have an attack roll or save DC, it is 10+1/2HD+Highest ability score mod. The Anaxim must be aware of the attack to try to Drill Trough it, and any sucessive Drill trough in a single turn takes a cumulative -5 penalty on the Anaxim's part (-5 for a second attack, -10 for a third, ect).

The Anaxim also gains a bonus on any Break and Dispel checks equal to its Cha mod, and also gains a burrow speed equal to its land speed.

Determining Blow:At 17th level the Anaxim's threat for all its natural weapons is doubled, and it has 50% chance of being able to inflict critical hits on creatures normally immune to them. In addition creatures suffering a critical hit from the Anaxim must suceed on a sucessful Fort save with DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod or explode in pieces.

Supreme Divine Artifice:At 18th level the Anaxim may use Etherealness as a SLA as free action 1/day per 5 HD, but no more than 1/round, and all its movement speeds are doubled while this lasts. The Anaxim may also dismiss the effect as a free action.

Metal Vengeance:at 19th level whenever the Anaxim is attacked, the Anaxim may strike back at the attacker with a melee attack if attacked in melee (even if the oponent has superior reach) or a bolter shot if the enemy attacked from range.

Apocalyptic Drive:
At 20th level the Anaxim may fully  focus at a single target with mechanical precision 1/hour as a fullround action. It fires all bolter guns, then charges and performs a full attack with all its melee weapons at said target. Distance is never a problem when using this attack as long as the Anaxim can spot the target.

Undivine Spark:At 20th level, the Anaxim no longer fails saves or attacks in a natural 1, and its DR now can only be bypassed by epic, good and adamantine weapons.

Potential Unleashed:At 21th level the Anaxim now works at full power. It can use any of it's SLAs (except summon iron golem) at will. The HD limit on all of its SLAs and other abilities is removed.

Ghost in the Machine: At 22th level the Anaxim realizes it isn't actualy a construct. It is a design, an idea. As a free action at any time even if it's its turn (but only one try per round) the Anaxim can transfer its consciouness to any manufactured object (including magic items and artifacts) or construct that it can see or one of his summoned iron golems, even if it can't seem them. Intelegent constructs, artifacts and worn items are allowed a Will save to resist this ability (DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod). The Anaxim can jump again to another object/construct in view on the next turn if it wishes.

The original body can keep following a simple set of instructions of the Anaxim's choice like it was a mindless construct.  If entering a normally inanimate object the Anaxim can make it move as if under the effect of an Animate objects spell (CL=HD). The Anaxim retains its blindsight under its new form. It takes a search check with DC 10+HD+Cha mod to notice the Anaxim's consciouness is inside something.

The Anaxim can return to his original body as another free action regardless of the distance and barriers between them. Should the Anaxim's original body be destroyed, the Anaxim's divine spark causes the surrounding world to start shaping his current body in a new Anaxim. The original body crumbles into worthless scrap, useless even as magic component to track the Anaxim, including the magic items on it's possession. Bypassers stop to work on the Anaxim's current body, animals join pieces as best as possible with their claws and teeths, the wind and sun themselves start shaping a new Anaxim. The process is completed in 1d10 days, after wich the old object/construct is now completely replaced with a new Anaxim of same level, altough it may look diferent. The new body comes with the same magic items the Anaxim's original body had at it's time of destruction, in the same state/number of charges/etc.

Should the Anaxim have controled an object bigger than medium size the new Anaxim body is of that size, but the construction is unstable. Whenever the Anaxim takes damage it must make a Fort Save DC 10+Damage taken or it's massive body shatters, and from the pieces emerges a regular medium-sized Anaxim.

[/spoiler]

Comments:
[SPOILER]
Complete overhaul of the Anaxim since in retrospective it just had damage, more damage and some more raw damage in top.

Added several extra effects and utilities (disarming/triping/bullrushing people with the bolter guns for example), some defensive stuff, cooler powers for the high levels, earlier iron golems and stat bonus standardization. Plus magic immunity

I feel like it now should play like it should, a dangerous determined machine looking for a place in the world.
[/SPOILER]

solara

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
So . . . I wanted to play a Tome Dragon, and therefore made a monster class for them. It deviates slightly from the rest of the dragon classes, since Tome Dragons are arcane dragons. I listed some concerns in the comments spoiler.

And a great big thanks to you, oslecamo, for starting this project, and keeping it going here on BG. My entire gaming group is actually going to use classes from here for our next campaign.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has thoughts about what I should give them at 14th level, please let me know. I didn't realize it was a dead level until I posted, pretty much. I know - impressive absent-mindedness on my part.

Tome Dragon

[SPOILER]
d8 HD
Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Dragon Body, Frail Body, Mutable Breath, +1 Int
2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Keen Senses, Arcane Blood
3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Blindsense 60 foot, Distant Speech, +1 Wis
4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Wings
5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Arcane Sight
6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Free Metamagic, +1 Wis
7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Far Eyes
8th
+6
+6
+2
+6
Knowledge Domain
9th
+6
+6
+3
+6
Baffling Flight, +1 Int
10th
+7
+7
+3
+7
Piercing Sight, +1 Wis
11th
+8
+7
+3
+7
Master of Knowledge
12th
+9
+8
+4
+8
Magic of Foresight, +1 Int
13th
+9
+8
+4
+8
Infinite Step, +1 Int, +1 Wis
14th
+10
+9
+4
+9
-
15th
+11
+9
+5
+9
Planar Explorer, +1 Int, +1 Wis
16th
+12
+10
+5
+10
Master of Space, +1 Int
17th
+12
+10
+5
+10
Master of Time, +1 Int, +1 Wis
18th
+13
+11
+6
+11
Master of Maigc, +1 Int
19th
+14
+11
+6
+11
Greater Magic of Foresight, +1 Int, +1 Wis
20th
+15
+12
+6
+12
Flawless Foreknowledge, +1 Int, +1 Wis

4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills:

Concentration, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Heal,  Hide, Spot, Listen, Move Silently, Bluff, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Search, Spellcraft, Swim.

Dragon Body: At 1st level of this class the Tome Dragon loses all racial bonus and gains dragon traits. It is a Medium Dragon, 2 claws doing 1d6 + 1/2 Str modifier, a bite doing 1d8 + Str modifier damage and a base speed of 40 foot. The claws are capable of fine manipulation.

The Tome dragon also has a natural armor bonus equal to half his Con modifier. The Tome Dragon also gains an insight bonus to AC equal to the lower of 1/3 its HD or its Int modifier, minimum 1.

Alternate Form (Su): A Tome dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Mutable Breath: Keen senses: The Tome Dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision
out to 120 feet.

Arcane Blood:A Tome dragon receives spells known and spells per day as a Wizard of 3/4 of his level, but he has CL equal to his HD. If he multiclasses as a Wizard, the casting stacks.

Dragon level Wizard casting
1-

If a dragon takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance his casting as that of a wizard. So a dragon 10/loremaster 10 would cast as a 17th level wizard.

Blindsense: as the normal ability, range 60 ft.

Distant Speech: Ability increase: The gold dragon gains the following permanent ability bonuses at the following levels:

LevelBonus
1st +1 Int
3rd +1 Wis
6th+1 Wis
9th +1 Int
10th +1 Wis
12th+1 Int
13th +1 Int, +1 Wis
15th +1 Int, +1 Wis
16th +1 Int
17th+1 Int, +1 Wis
18th+1 Int
19th +1 Int, +1 Wis
20th +1 Int, +1 Wis

So at 20 level it has +10 Int, +8 Wis.

Wings: At 4th level the Tome Dragon can fly at a speed of 10 ft/HD with good maneuverability. Wings can be used to attack, doing 1d4 + Str damage.

Arcane Sight: At 5th level, a Tome Dragon can use the spell Detect Magic as a spell-like ability 1/day per HD. At 7th level, this ability improves so that the Tome Dragon can use Arcane Sight instead of Detect Magic. At 18th level, this ability improves again so that the Tome Dragon may use Greater Arcane Sight instead of Arcane Sight.

Free Metamagic: At 6th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 1 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat. This ability applies once per spell and cannot reduce the level adjustment of the spell below 0.

At 12th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 2 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat, subject to the same restrictions as before.

At 18th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 3 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat, subject to the same restrictions as before.

Far Eyes: At 7th level, Tome Dragons gain the ability to use the spell Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability 1/day per 3 HD.

Domain: At level 8 Tome dragon can add the spells from the Knowledge Domain to his spellbook and ready them normally.

Baffling Flight: At 9th level, a Tome Dragon can use the spell Dimension Door as a spell-like ability 1/day for every 3 HD it has.

Piercing Sight: At 10th level, a Tome Dragon gains the ability to use the spell True Seeing as a spell-like ability 1/day for every 3 HD it has.

Master of Knowledge: At 11th level, a Tome Dragon gains a +2 bonus to its caster level when using divination spells or spell-like abilities.

Magic of Foresight: At 12th level, a Tome Dragon adds a divination spell from any spell list of a level it can cast to its spellbook.

Infinite Step: At 13th level, a Tome Dragon can use the spell Teleport as a spell-like ability 1/day per 5 HD.

Planar Explorer: At 15th level, a Tome Dragon gains the ability to use the spell Plane Shift as a spell-like ability 1/day for each 5 HD it has.

Master of Space: At 16th level, a Tome Dragon can use the spell Discern Location as a spell-like ability 1/day per 5 HD.

Master of Time: At 17th level, a Tome Dragon can see into the future and the past. Once per day, a Tome Dragon can make a knowledge check to see into the future or the past of a particular creature, location, or object. The type of knowledge check depends on the nature of the knowledge desired, and the result of the check determines the volume, specificity, and temporal distance of the knowledge acquired.

Examples of type of check versus desired information: past events of some significance (knowledge: history), past of a particular location (architecture
and engineering, dungeoneering, geography, or nature), etc.

[table
Check ResultRarity of Knowledge; Temporal Distance
15 or BelowCommon; weeks
16 to 25Uncommon; years
26 to 35Rare or obscure, legend; decades
Master of Magic: At 18th level, a Tome Dragon is no longer affected by anti-magic, anti-psionic, or other magic-damping effects, or wild magic and dead magic zones unless it chooses to be. While in the area of one of these effects, a Tome Dragon can also make a caster level check (DC = 20 + caster level of the item) to prevent its magic or psionic items from being affected by these effects.

Greater Magic of Foresight: At 19th level, a Tome Dragon may add another divination spell from any spell list of a level it can cast to its spellbook.

Flawless Foreknowledge:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:31:20 PM by solara »

oslecamo

• Grape ape
solara: Ok, here are my first impressions on your tome dragon.
-Image? Again even if you can't get an "official" image some other work that fits your idea is good enough.
-No growth, DR, resistances/immunities/SR or frightful presence? I don't have the dragon issue of the tome dragon but I find it somewhat strange they don't get bigger and harder.
-Casting as wizard demands spellbooks. You're saying the tome dragon carries around a spellbook? I think I once heard tome dragons get to write spells on their scales or something more exotic like that.
-Free metamagic is indeed powerful, but with the limitations you imposed, it should be below the abuseable treshold.
-Master of time is quite flavourful, but like you pointed out kinda too DM-specific. Well any ability that revolves about being able to see both the past and the future is bound to be. Greatly advise replacing for something else unless the tome dragon fluff really says they're masters of time.
-Flawless knowledge is crazy good if not outright overpowered, but as a castone, and since taking it means you don't reach 9th level spells  pre-epic, meh, it's probably fair enough. The game is pretty crazy if you ever reach that high level so he'll probably need it.
-Why good flight maneuverability when they're suposed to be physically weaker than other dragons?
-Now master of magic may be too powerful. Because if you're immune to AMF, you can drop one in yourself and royally screw other magic users, which is basically everybody, or at least their gear. Cheater of Mystra (cleric that gets to ignore AMF) isn't considered one of the most imba builds out there whitout infinite loops for nothing.

So what we have here is a dragon that trades physical prowess for considerable improved spellcasting (but still behind a fullcaster) plus several utility SLAs. Sounds good, but the mid-levels seem a little dull because you're really not gaining anything special but spells you could've learned anyway because you cast as wizard. As it is, you really want to drop the class at level 8 and then go to some casting prc, because all you're gaining with the tome dragon for the next 9 levels are SLAs that can be replicated by wizard casting and some better numbers (and a DM-dependant ability). The only real reason to stay on the class would be to wait for the 18th level and 20th level abilities.

So overall I like where the class is going, but it really needs something other stuff at mid-levels than extra spells, which is something a wizard has by default.

Also thanks for the compliments, and I hope you can then share your impressions here on how the monster classes played out! :)

solara

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
The real difference between Tome Dragons and, say, Gold Dragons, according to wotc, is that Tome Dragons are "arcane dragons." This means their natural weapons deal damage as if they're one size smaller (and they therefore get fewer natural attacks) and they get lower strength/constitution/natural armor, and don't grow as large (Tome Dragon uses the White Dragon's size progression). In exchange, they get better spellcasting and their flight is always at good maneuverability (but can be improved by that feat in Savage Species, I believe). Tome Dragons do get DR/magic and spell resistance, but I was afraid of giving them too much nice stuff (with the improved casting) so I took those and the size increase out.

Point also taken about the mid-levels being boring. I'll work on making them more interesting - maybe adding in the spell resistance, DR, and a size increase would do? That would make the Tome Dragon look more like your other dragons, too.

Master of Time and Master of Magic were just . . . ideas . . . that randomly popped into my head, and I instantly loved. Would reworking Master of Time to be something like a bardic knowledge/lore check, and removing the ability to see the future, be good? I'll check to see if there are any spells that I could model its effect after. I'll think about what to do with Master of Magic for a few days, but maybe increased caster level or spells per day? Something like +1 caster level on arcane spells and spell-like abilities or an additional spell/day at each level they can cast.