Author Topic: Statting up Jack Kirby's New Gods.  (Read 1694 times)

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Statting up Jack Kirby's New Gods.
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:27:42 AM »
There came a time when the Old Gods died! The brave died with the cunning! The noble perished, locked in battle with the unleashed evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust! The final moment came with the fatal release of the indescribable powersplitblinding death-flash of its destruction! In the end there were two giant molten bodies, spinning slow and barrenall that had gone beforefading sounds of cosmic thunder... Silencelong, deepdarkness... - The prologue at the beginning of the first issue of New Gods by Jack Kirby.

So lets try to figure out how to stat out these these great and godly heroes and villians of DCs Fourth World, the denizens of both New Genesis and Apokolips.

New Genesis:
High Father Izaya

Apokolips:
Darkseid

More to come.

I'd also like to use a modified version of this monster/NPC statblock form from Giant in the Playground forums.
[SPOILER]{name} (CR {CR})
{alignment} {size} {type} ({subtype})
Class {class, if any}
HP {HP} ({HD} HD); DR {DR}
Immune {immune}; Resist {resist}; Weak {weak}
Fort {fort} Ref {ref} Will {will}
SR {SR}
SQ {Special Qualities}
Ranged {ranged}
Space {space} ft.; Reach {reach} ft.
BAB {BAB}; Grp {grapple}
Attack Options {atk-opt}
Special Actions {spec-opt}
Combat Gear {gear}
Treasure: {treasure}
{feat3}: {feat3 effects}
{feat4}: {feat4 effects}
{feat5}: {feat5 effects}
{ability3}: {ability3 effects}
{ability4}: {ability4 effects}
{ability5}: {ability5 effects}[/SPOILER]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:06:25 PM by Agrippa »

Agrippa

Re: Statting up Jack Kirby's New Gods.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:30 AM »
Basically Id start out by making Darkseid a storm giant with 35 levels in ardent and 25 in crusader gestalted with artificer 60. Then I'd change his type to outsider, due to his nature as a New God, and modify all base stone giant abilities to fit Darkseid's flavor. I'm having trouble adding up the saves of course, Darkseid would be a somewhat high epic character. For BaB I just added the pre-epic BaB totals for both the ardent and crusader classes and piled standard epic rule on top. Not elegant or even RAW, but makes him a stronger combatant than normal epic rules. He also gets full hit points per die and a DR/epic weapons wqual to half his hit dice.

" I. Am. The. New. God. All is one in Darkseid. This mighty body is my church. When I command your surrender, I speak with three billion voices. When I make a fist to crush your resistance. It is with three billion hands. When I stare into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with six billion eyes. Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you; nothing will again. I will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there I will murder your souls! And make you crawl and beg! And die! Die! DIE FOR DARKSEID!"

"I am the beginning and the end of all things. I am Darkseid. Every molecule of your bodies belongs to me. You live and you breathe through my pleasure, and my will."

"You turned your back and I wrecked your world. I robbed your people of their powers, their hopes, their futures, themselves. What will you do when your friends, your enemies, your lover, are all Darkseid? When there is one body. One mind. One will. One life that is Darkseid. WILL YOU BE THE ENEMY OF ALL EXISTENCE THEN? WHAT IRONY THAT WILL BE, SON OF KRYPTON!"

Darkseid (CR {CR})
Lawful Evil Large Outsider (Lawful, Evil, Extraplanar)
Class Ardent 35, Crusader 25/Artificer 60
HP 1,070 (35d8+25d10+540 HD); DR 30/epic
Immune drowning; Resist {resist}; Weak Radion
Fort +46 Ref +35 Will +83
SR {SR}
SQ {Special Qualities}
Ranged +52 for Omega Beam (psionic disintergrate)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
BAB +44; Grp +62
Attack Options Ardent powers, maneuvers, shards of granite and awesome blow.
Special Actions {spec-opt}
Combat Gear {gear}
Treasure: {treasure}
Skills 757 points, Jump: rank 58 (bonus +77), Intimidate: rank 63 (bonus +77), Knowledge (physics): rank 63 (bonus +80), Knowledge (nature): rank 63 (bonus +80), Knowledge (religon): rank 63 (bonus +80), Knowledge (arcana): rank 63 (bonus +80), Knowledge (architechture and engineering): rank 63 (bonus +80), Knowledge (history): rank 63 (bonus +80), Balance: rank 37 (bonus +45), Craft ()
Power Attack: On his action, before making attack rolls for a round, Darkseid may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed his base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage applyies until his next turn
Combat Reflexes: Darkseid may make eight additional attacks of opportunity per round.

With this feat, Darkseid may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.
Cleave: If Darkseid deals a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), he getd an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. Darkseid cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. Darkseid can use this ability once per round.
Improved Bull Rush: When Darkseid performs a bull rush he does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender. Darkseid also gains a +4 bonus on the opposed Strength check he makes to push back the defender.
Improved Sunder: When Darkseid strikes at an object held or carried by an opponent (such as a weapon or shield), he does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Darkseid also gains a +4 bonus on any attack roll made to attack an object held or carried by another character.
Iron Will: Darkseid gets a +2 bonus on all Will saving throws for every five levels. This grants the dread lord of Apokolips a +24 bonus to all Will saving throws.
Awesome Blow: As a standard action, Darkseid may choose to subtract 4 from his melee attack roll and deliver an awesome blow. If Darkseid hits a corporeal opponent smaller than himself with an awesome blow, its opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of Darkseid’s choice and fall prone. Darkseid can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to Darkseid than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.
Improved Unarmed Strike: Darkseid is considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, Darkseid does not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when he attacks them while unarmed. However, Darkseid still gets an attack of opportunity against any opponent who makes an unarmed attack on him.

In addition, Darkseid's unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at his option.
Superior Unarmed Strike: All of Darkseid's unarmed attacks deal 3d6 points of damage.
Rapid Assault: In the first round of combat, Darkseid's melee attacks deal and extra 1d6 points of damage.
{feat}: {feat description}
Stone Power: When Darkseid uses an attack action, full-attack action or when Darkseid initiates a Stone Dragon strike in melee combat, Darkseid can take a penalty of as much as -5 on your attack rolls. This number cannot exceed Darkseid's base attack bonus. Darkseid gains bonus hit points equal to twice the number that Darkseid subtracts from his attack rolls (to a maximum of +10). These temporary hit points last until the end of Darkseid's next turn.
Shards of Granite:
Vital Recovery: When Darkseid recovers one or more martial maneuvers, Darkseid heals 82 points of damage. Darkseid can only gain this benefit once per encounter.
Polyglot: Darkseid can speak any and all languages he has encountered.
Freedom of movement: Darkseid has a continuous freedom of movement ability as the spell (caster level 20th). The effect can be dispelled, but Darkseid can create it again on his next turn as a free action.
Rock Catching: Darkseid can catch Small, Medium, or Large rocks (or projectiles of similar shape).

Once per round, if Darkseid would normally be hit by a rock he can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) Darkseid must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.
Psionic Powers: Death knell, fiendish conduit, dark despair, vigor, oak body, true metabolism, grip of iron, immovability, psionic revivify, psionic greater fabricate, psionic true creation, adrenaline boost, animal affinity, psychofeeback, hammer, steadfast perception, iron body, tower of iron will, timeless body, mend wounds, psionic restoration, disintergrate.
Mantles: Destruction- disintergrate
Evil- death knell, fiendish conduit, dark despair
Primary mantle: Law- grip of iron, immovability, hammer, steadfast perception, iron body, tower of iron will, timeless body
Creation- psionic greater fabricate, psionic true creation
Primary mantle: Physical Power- vigor, oak body, true metabolism, adrenaline boost, animal affinity, psychofeeback
Life- psionic revivify, mend wounds, psionic restoration
Power Points: 465
Maneuvers Known:
Maneuvers Readied:
Stances Known:
Steely Resolve:
Furious Counterstrike:
Indomitable Soul:
Zealous Surge:
Smite:
Die Hard:
Mettle:

I've just started typing up this version's of Darkseid's stats so please forgive me for not getting very far.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:10:13 AM by Agrippa »

Agrippa

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »
I know it's only been one day and I'm not quite stating him out as anyone else here would, but how do these Darkseid stats look so far?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
Why is he Huge? ???
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
Why is he Huge? ???

It was a simple and very stupid mistake. That's all I have to say right now.

Agrippa

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:08 AM »
I made a few changes to this Darkseid build such as removing the unneeded storm giant hit dice and spell-like abilities aside from at-will freedom of movement. Since this is a work in progress I'm not sure if there's much to really comment about it. That said, how does it look so far?