Author Topic: Help with High Powered Character  (Read 3582 times)

Grossmesser

• Monkey bussiness
Help with High Powered Character
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to D&D and needed some help.  We are about to start a campaign and our DM said to make a really powerful character for it, and didn't say anything else about it except that he doesn't want a lot of divination spells used.  So I was wondering, which of the tier 1 classes are, overall, strongest.  This may be stupid to ask, but he says that you will need to be really strong and I don't want to go screwing up.  If something like this has already been covered then if you can point me there that would be great also.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Help with High Powered Character
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Not a lot of divination as in no CoP abuse, or not a lot as in "OMFG PALLY GETS DETECT EVIL, NOOOO!!!1!1eleven!" ?  Sounds like the perfect game for one of my Rainbow Warsnakes.  Who needs preparation when you have every spell list (damn near) available spontaneously.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
Druid. Wizard. Cleric. Archivist. Take your pick, really.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
Druid. Wizard. Cleric. Archivist. Take your pick, really.

Of those, I'd go with Druid if divination is being raped.  Who cares what's being thrown at you with a Venomfired Fleshraker while shifted into one too.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
I'd play a Bard. With an Electric Guitar. And use a Born of the Three Thunders Inspire Courage (with the same tricks we use to make the Locate City Bomb).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »
To add to CantripN's statement, Dragonfire Inspiration (electric breath weapon) would add to the flair.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
Druid 20,

Natural Spell,

FINAL DESTINATION.

Anyway, what's the level spread, who are your companions going to be, and do you have experience with this DM and how he plays?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »
If you go with the Bard Idea, see if your DM will allow Focused Performance. It can double the effect by basically focusing the music on an enemy. See if you can get that to apply to the stuff you get from the Inspirational Boost...

Oh, and you have ot play an Alphorn. End. Of. Story.

Chaos Music is a nice feat if you want to dip other classes.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
More options for the Bard path:
Sublime Chord 2, Song of the Heart (level 6 freebie), Words of Creation (level 9 Must-Have).
Lyric Thaumaturge 6 - +1d6 Sonic Damage to a spell with a Music Attempt, add Lightning Bolt and Gust of Wind to Bard Spells if you want to qualify for Stormcaster as a Bard.
Stormcaster 5 - Another Save or Stun on every Hit. +1 Sonic Damage. You can qualify with a Runestaff and UMD, too.

If you're allowed Dragon Magazine, there are WAY better options, of course. Let us know if you want to go with something of the that sort (Mega-Party-Buffer) and what books you're allowed, in any case.

It essentially goes Bard 9 / Stormcaster 1 / Sublime Chord 2 / Stormcaster +4 / XXX 4 or Bard 6 / XXX 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / XXX 8.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Play a ghost.  Take 1-4 levels of the savage progression (link in sig), and buy them off with LA buyoff if you can
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Grossmesser

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
Thanks for all the help, I realy do need to play a Bard, but I'm leaning towards Wizard or Erudite, but I'm not farmiliar with psionics, and I don't know how they get most of thier tricks

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
Erudites are much like wizards, but they cast from their entire spell-list spontaneously and can use psionic powers and feats, too. Their primary downside is that once they cast a spell (or manifest a power) that spell is 'locked in' for the day, and it's one of their limited number of powers they can choose to manifest until they rest.

And bards can be REALLY powerful, especially if you have lots of melee brutes in the party. +8 to all attacks and damage at level 6 isn't anything to sneeze at, especially if everyone allied with you gets it. 3 party-mates plus yourself, as well as 6 or so cohorts/pets racks up the damage PDQ. This is very much nice if everyone gets multiple attacks (especially with natural attacks; psywars, druids, animal companions, and totemists do this REALLY well). Say, bard 3/crusader 1/warblade 1/crusader 1 at ECL 6.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »

How new are you? All of the big 5 are casters and keeping spell lists, CL, effects are pretty tasking for the novice. Much less the really TO interactions of multiclassing and rues loopholes. A simple DMM Persist cleric is powerful all the way from level 5 to 20.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
Not a lot of divination as in no CoP abuse, or not a lot as in "OMFG PALLY GETS DETECT EVIL, NOOOO!!!1!1eleven!" ?  Sounds like the perfect game for one of my Rainbow Warsnakes.  Who needs preparation when you have every spell list (damn near) available spontaneously.
I'd play a Bard. With an Electric Guitar. And use a Born of the Three Thunders Inspire Courage (with the same tricks we use to make the Locate City Bomb).
Rainbow Warsnakes. Locate City Bomb. Citations plox?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »
Rainbow warsnake - A warmage who decided "screw my spell list", took a long and arduous journey and eventually joined the coatls in their hidden jungle temples, and ten levels later is casting spontaneously off the cleric and warmage lists.
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
Druid 20,

Natural Spell,

FINAL DESTINATION.

Anyway, what's the level spread, who are your companions going to be, and do you have experience with this DM and how he plays?

You forgot that items are banned.

And to be on topic, if you play an Erudite use the online enhancement that lets you turn spells in to powers or don't bother!
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Grossmesser

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
Ya I would use spell to power, but I have heard that it can get divine spells, how?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Ya I would use spell to power, but I have heard that it can get divine spells, how?
The aforementioned Rainbow Warsnake, for one. Warmage/Rainbow Servant gets every cleric spell on its spells known list and can then scribe arcane scrolls of them, which your erudite can learn.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
The aforementioned Rainbow Warsnake, for one. Warmage/Rainbow Servant gets every cleric spell on its spells known list and can then scribe arcane scrolls of them, which your erudite can learn.
Cleric-only spells are divine spells for rainbow servants, though.  Called out in the ability.
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Cleric-only spells are divine spells for rainbow servants, though.  Called out in the ability.
Ah, right. Naga, then? Or Southern Magician? I'm not really sure.