Author Topic: Stat Calculations [Custom]  (Read 978 times)

Kuroi Kenshi

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Stat Calculations [Custom]
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
I'm considering the pros and cons of bonuses from high stats being calculated in a more simple way compared to D&D 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0.

Imagine if you got a bonus to rolls for every point a stat is above 10, instead of for every 2 points a stat is above 10.

Pros:
You don't need a chart to help figure out how your rolls will be affected by your stats. It's just a one-step calculation for bonuses or penalties: your stat - 10.

New players would probably find this simple approach appealing compared to the existing formula of (your stat - 10) / 2, which is a or two-step calculation involving circumventing the normal order of operations with parenthesis.

You don't have to convert stat modifications into bonuses - a +1 to a stat is a +1 to its relevant dice rolls.

Cons:
A lot of existing players got used to the method for stat bonuses introduced in D&D 3.0. D&D 4E still uses it.

You can't use 3d6 or 4d6 to determine stats, since starting stats would have to cap out at 14 instead of 18. You'd have to instead use an adapted version of point buy.

Adapting existing 3.X and 4E materials to the stat system takes an extra step.

Any effects that drain ability scores would have to be adapted such that they deal 1/2 their normal stat damage, or be replaced with other game mechanics to achieve the same effect.

Anything I might be missing here? Think it would be worth it or not for a hypothetical pen and paper RPG system?

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
Re: Stat Calculations [Custom]
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
Bonus Spells/Power Points Per Day chart would have to be re-done as well; or maybe not, might serve as a way to even the playing field if even just a little.

Kuroi Kenshi

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Stat Calculations [Custom]
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »
That's a good point. Incidentally, for the system I have in mind, casters use spell points but unlike with psionics their bonus SP per caster level is rounded down if their primary casting stat bonus is an odd number.