Author Topic: Hood-lum Mechanics  (Read 2850 times)

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
Hood-lum Mechanics
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
I have a question about how the various Hood mechanics fit together.

So I have Battle Jump, Power Attack, Leap Attack and a Valorous Halberd of Vaulting (Huge) + Spring Attack, Skirmish (2d6) and the Lion Pounce Barbarian ACF.

So let's say I am attacking a giant...

I can make a full attack after a charge by pouncing, I can initiate a charge by jumping real high and dropping on the giant's head.  Can I still use Spring Attack in conjunction with this?  How would that work?  The charge lets me make a double move and still full attack...but what if I initate the charge by first running up a wall and jump/vaulting off of it into a battle jump?  Does the falling distance count against my move alowance?  Can I still spring away after battle-jump-leap-attack charging? Does the extra damage from the skirmish apply before or after the quadrupling? If I make a full attack I knolw the power attack damage applies o each attack but would the charge quadrupling apply to all or just the first hit?

It's all a little confusing to me so I may not be articulating my questions properly even but hopefully one of you out there is experienced enough to see what I am getting at and straighten me out on this topic.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:41:50 AM by Thistledown Thurbertaut »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Hood-lum Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
Spring Attack gives you a single attack.  Charge is normally a full round action.  I don't think it works.  Although I have seen some pretty weird readings of battle jump.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »
spring attack is its own action, so it cant be combined with anything.... but if you jump high enough to drop onto a victim's head, it can trigger battle jump, and leap attack at the same time. ( i think)

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »
Spring Attack gives you a single attack.  Charge is normally a full round action.  I don't think it works.  Although I have seen some pretty weird readings of battle jump.

Right...but pounce changes that...?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »

Right...but pounce changes that...?

Pounce changes what you do at the end of the charge.  It doesn't affect the timing rules.
Flyby attack + boots of the battle charger works though.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:13 PM »
so would pounce make the charge quadrupling apply to each attack on the pounce or just the initial one?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
All of them generally.  A few abilities specify otherwise and thus are rarely used =)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
To the Skirmish question, no it isn't multiplied. It is precision damage, which never gets multiplied.

As to timing, you're right that a charge normally takes a full-round action. Battle Jump, however, gives you a new condition under which you can execute a charge that is not tied to a specific action type. So long as you fall a certain distance, you trigger a charge. This is the whole principle behind the multipouncing builds: Move action to jumpounce, Standard action to jumpounce, and then if you use ToB Swift action for Sudden Leap to jumpounce a third time.

And yes, the distance you jump counts against your movement for that action. Thankfully, you can always choose to take a lower Jump check, so that you aren't stuck until next round.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
wait... So you are saying I can make *2* pouncing full attacks per round?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
Travel Devotion (Complete Champion 62) is better than Spring Attack since you can move as a swift action.

Regarding 'Boing Boing':

Note how Battle Jump states, "You can execute a charge simply by dropping from a height of at least 5 feet above your opponent" (Unapproachable East 42).  It doesn't specify that you must use a specific action, like a standard action to do so.  By my interpretation of the rules as written, you can, with a high enough movement speed and Jump check, repeatedly hurl yourself at your foes every turn until they die, using only movement speed to execute charges.  Your DM will probably smack you or otherwise limit you if you try this, but the thought reminds me of Mario pogo-jumping around the battlefield!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
endarire, the man himself!

doesn't one have to take a dip in cleric for travel devotion? Even if not, it only lets you hustle for a minute per day at most right?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
Travel Devotion is a feat.  You can trade the Travel Domain for the Devotion if you're a Cleric.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 02:21:53 AM »
I dunno... once per day?  So once a day in one encounter with one attack you get set up with a hustle... spring attack is good all day long...

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »
as a cleric you can use turn undead to get more uses of travel devotion  :lol Those silly cleric and their turning sillyness.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 03:42:19 AM »
Yeah, dipping 1 level of cleric... for doubling your action economy? Worth it every time  :D
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 03:57:49 AM »
Well in this case I won't be dipping cleric...even if I did I'd need a 16 charisma to use travel devotion only 3x/day. Spring attack seems more worth it since I am going with a Blade Dancer build and am going to end up with a move of something like 125' or more...

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 04:42:44 AM »
4x day @ 16 charisma, remember it still gives you one use for free and it lasts the whole encounter.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 05:24:52 AM »
the whole encounter? I thought it only works for a single action?

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 05:53:28 AM »
It says it last for 10 rounds. Which should be most of an encounter.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out