Author Topic: Elemental Mages (Spontaneous)  (Read 9260 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Elemental Mages (Spontaneous)
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:38 PM »
Well, mostly I was thinking of the Cleric, Druid, Wu Jen, Shugenja, Warmage and Sorceror/Wizard
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
Why not open it to any class with the caveat, "If the spell appears on the list of the Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard at a different level, use that level instead"? Then the Pyromancer would be able to grab, say, Fire Shuriken. :D

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Why not open it to any class with the caveat, "If the spell appears on the list of the Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard at a different level, use that level instead"? Then the Pyromancer would be able to grab, say, Fire Shuriken. :D
It is on Wu Jen just SpC stripped that class out of its descriptions.

edit: SpC stripped everything not in PHB + Assassin & Blackguard from its listings.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:45:35 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
It is on Wu Jen just SpC stripped that class out of its descriptions.
Oh, okay. It's not just that spell, really, but hey. Individual research.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
I thought of that, and it's likely safe, but I don't want some bullshit PrC messing this up.  I figure half a dozen spell lists should be just fine, especially since you can pick up two different types of feats instead.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
i like,  but a typo i think.....

Detect Air:
Level 1
As Detect Animals and Plants, except you detect fires in the area, mundane or magical.
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
Yep.  Copy-pasta for the lose!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Wow Rob I can hardly believe how helpful these are for me right not, I needed replacements for the rokugani shugenja and now I've found them. Awesome.
I mean I'll make em divine and prolly blend just a bit with the tome elementalist (most likely elemental wildshape) but all in all, hell yeah. Thanks.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
Thanks.  I'll take a look at your thread there soon.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
I don't get what Frank finds absolutely underpowered about the Geomancer. It doesn't suck completely as it's a full casting class (albeit with tiny spell list), but it does have two properties I notice;

1. Many of its abilities are defensive. Perhaps too conditional at that.
2. Many of the early spells are weak. They have too short of a range, deal too little damage, or too specific.

I would throw in more spells to their list, such as Force and similar, as I mentioned earlier.

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
In concurrence with what Frank mentioned, I already agree completely that the Geomancer's lacking is in its pitiable spell selection.
Therefore to rectify, we improve the spell selection.

The following powers can be adapted to [Earth] spells:

Control Object (Psionic)
Energy Push (Psionic)
Swarm of Crystals (Psionic)

And don't forget to give them the earlier Summon Monster series such as 1 and 2. There's a few missing.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
In concurrence with what Frank mentioned, I already agree completely that the Geomancer's lacking is in its pitiable spell selection.
Therefore to rectify, we improve the spell selection.

The following powers can be adapted to [Earth] spells:

Control Object (Psionic)
Energy Push (Psionic)
Swarm of Crystals (Psionic)

And don't forget to give them the earlier Summon Monster series such as 1 and 2. There's a few missing.

I agree to these changes quite a bit actually those would indeed be some interesting adaptations, remember that dwarf prc from the tob . . . its sounds liek they wanted something like this too...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
The ability to create rough terrain at any time, effectively halving movement, would be equivalent to a Druid's Entangle spell.
At later levels this could become a swarm of floating rocks or sand that causes even the air around to become rough terrain.

Geomancer also needs the ability to hurl stone spears, conjure boulders on people's heads, and create rock from nothing (even temporary rock)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 10:31:05 PM »
You know, that rough terrain thing could work.  I had that in my older version of the class (that didn't cast spells).  I think Frank's right in that it's really not killing shit at low levels.  The Dread Necro (which this is somewhat based off of) is dropping decent touch attacks and sending people running scared when out-numbered.  This guy's fighting roughly like a cleric.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
I dare say that applies for the Hydromancer as well, at low levels it's basically Grease and Water Jet, rinse and repeat.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »
Spells For Robby

I wrote these last night.

Rock Push
Conjuration [Earth]
Level 1 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: 1 opponent
Duration: Instant
Save:  Reflex negates Prone
Spell Resistance: No

As a ranged touch attack, deal 1d8 per odd caster level Earth and Bludgeoning damage to a target, and the target is knocked Prone if they fail the Reflex save.

Shifting Sands

Transmutation [Earth]
Level 1 Arcane spell
Verbal
Range: Personal
Area: 60 foot emanation
Duration: 1 minute/level
Save:  Fortitude negates (each round)

All opponents that fail their save at the beginning of each round are considered to be walking on rough terrain, and take 1d6 Earth damage per 5 caster levels (1, 6, 11, and 16).

If the caster level is 6 or higher, the rough terrain area also includes the air around the caster, and the range is doubled. Everything within the area is partially concealed (20% miss).

Control Stone
Transmutation [Earth]Crystal Shard
Evocation [Earth]
Level 1 Arcane spell
Somatic
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None

Upon manifesting this power, you propel a razor-sharp crystal shard at your target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 1d6 points of Earth and Piercing damage per caster level. The maximum damage for this spell is 10d6.

(This is an adaptation from a Psionic power of the same name)

Falling Boulder
Conjuration [Earth]
Level 2 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Range: Medium
Target: 10-foot radius
Save:  Reflex half

Opponents within the area take 1d6 Earth and Bludgeoning damage per odd caster level.

Stonespear
Evocation [Earth]
Level 3 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Range: Medium
Target: 1 opponent
Duration: Instant, and 1 round/level
Save:  Reflex negates Pinned

As a ranged attack, deal 1d6 Earth and Piercing damage per caster level to a target, and the target is Pinned for 1 round/level if they fail the Reflex save. They may attempt an Escape Artist check against your spell DC to break free at the start of each of their turns. If the attack roll is a confirmed critical, the target may not escape, but may still be able to remove the spear by destroying it (Hardness 8, 45 HP to break)

Massive Falling Boulder
Conjuration [Earth]
Level 4 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Target: 20-foot radius
Save:  Reflex half

Opponents within the area take 1d6 Earth and Bludgeoning damage per caster level.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »
Thanks!  I'll take a look at some of those.  I get the feeling home-made spells are the best route.  I don't know why I was so reluctant.  It's a home-made class! :p
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Detect Gems
Divination [Earth]
Level 0 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Range: 60 feet
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute per level (D)
Save: None

You detect gems. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.
1st Round: Presence or absence of gems.
2nd Round: Number of different gems.
3rd Round: The exact location, type, and value.

Each round, you can turn to detect gems in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
Detect Gems can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Destroy Water
Transmutation [Earth]
Level 1 Arcane spell
Verbal, Somatic
Range: Close
Effect: Up to 2 gallons of water/level
Save: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Magic liquid, potions, balms, oils, and drinkable liquids are ruined and become dust if the target fails a Will save for each item. If the save is passed, that item can not be affected for 24 hours. Unattended non-magical liquids don't get a save.

Petrify
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The target takes 1d10 Earth damage +5 damage per caster level beyond the first.
If the target is willing, helpless, or reduced to 0 or less HP by this spell, the subject is Petrified, along with all its carried gear, turning into a mindless, inert statue. If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. The creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch.
Only creatures made of flesh are affected by this spell.

This spell may be reversed as "Stone to Flesh".
Stone to Flesh restores a Petrified creature to its normal state, restoring life and goods. Any petrified creature, regardless of size, can be restored.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
Rewrote Hail of Stone, in the end of the Geomancer post.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]