Author Topic: From a DM's perspective, how does Persistent Spell affect the game?  (Read 1642 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
This includes Divine Metamagic, Incantatrix, and other cheaper/free Persist abilities.

I'm interested in positive and negative, but especially positive experiences where Persistent Spell helped you as a DM.  For me, it makes things more predictable, and I can dispel the buffers if things get too much.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: From a DM's perspective, how does Persistent Spell affect the game?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
Does "the dude just uses it to persist laser eyes, and now sets things on fire with d6 damage laser eyes, rather than polymorphing the fighter into a hydra" count?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »
Persistented spells like wraithstrike and divine power make the fighter even more useless except as a torch bearer

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »

Not sure about 'positive' experiences, but it led to clerics showboating and generally making the rest of the party feel like torchbearers. The GM seemed unwilling to dispel and when he did botched the calculations to overcome their CL. The upshot was the party became 3 clerics, the Core rogue and me, the Talashtora monk. Suffice to say the rogue was bored out of her skull.

Tactics wise I think a competent GM would start out with Greater Dispel or Reaving Dispel, but it really kills variety for BBEGs if their all some variant of caster.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:19 PM »
As a DM, it lets me make powerful evil bosses without giving tons of loot.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
It makes things easier in that you don't have to worry so much about buff durations anymore. If it's becoming too much of a problem, remember that now the party won't spend that round buffing pre-battle or mid-battle and scale the difficulty of your fights to match. As always, gentlemen's agreement is in play.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

Not sure about 'positive' experiences, but it led to clerics showboating and generally making the rest of the party feel like torchbearers. The GM seemed unwilling to dispel and when he did botched the calculations to overcome their CL. The upshot was the party became 3 clerics, the Core rogue and me, the Talashtora monk. Suffice to say the rogue was bored out of her skull.

Tactics wise I think a competent GM would start out with Greater Dispel or Reaving Dispel, but it really kills variety for BBEGs if their all some variant of caster.
Which in turn makes Spelltheifs better :D

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
It makes things easier in that you don't have to worry so much about buff durations anymore. If it's becoming too much of a problem, remember that now the party won't spend that round buffing pre-battle or mid-battle and scale the difficulty of your fights to match. As always, gentlemen's agreement is in play.
+1

The standard persistent type builds involve a lot of buffing, producing a combat machine.  So, you just need to make sure any other fighter types in the group are pretty well-optimized so they don't feel outclassed.  I personally have played games w/ DMM(persist) melee clerics and not felt like they completely dominated the melee field, and that's allowing things like Divine Power and a slightly-nerfed Polymorph.  It's certainly weaker than a War Weaver, I think.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »
I've never seen a War Weaver in play...  Hrm...  That gives me some ideas...