Author Topic: My campaign's headed towards a TPK  (Read 5734 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: My campaign's headed towards a TPK
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 01:35:12 AM »
I agree with AndyJames here.  It is far better to get the player back into the game than to have him sit out and feel like he's missing something.  Its a RL social dynamics thing, rather than an in-game consideration.

If you really want to fuck with the player for not being "immersed" in the game world, saddle his character with backstory that will emerge as play progresses (but do it quickly).  Like he's a wanted criminal for a crime he didn't commit or something.  See - adventuring hook and developing backstory all at the same time!

ShaggyShaggs

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 02:23:55 AM »
If you really want to fuck with the player for not being "immersed" in the game world, saddle his character with backstory that will emerge as play progresses (but do it quickly).  Like he's a wanted criminal for a crime he didn't commit or something.  See - adventuring hook and developing backstory all at the same time!
+1

I had a lot of fun once with a character that came with a very vague backstory... maybe 3 concrete facts and a bunch of handwaving, with the rest fogged over as amnesia.  The DM went to town with it and I played along -- turned out what the character did remember was a warped echo of a past existence, the character was trapped in an abnormal reincarnation cycle, and was not quite as human as he thought he was, having previously been right hand to the setting's deity root of all evil.  The character, his gradually revealed past, and his uncertain future ended up being a lot of fun for all involved, and integral to the story that unfolded.  He's currently a demigod and direct servant of a Saint Cuthbert equivalent in that world, now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:25:30 AM by ShaggyShaggs »
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 08:52:23 AM »
I don't think roleplaying Chaotic Stupid counts... :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
I don't think roleplaying Chaotic Stupid counts... :P
Cut it how you like it.

It's an expression of a petty individual. It's roleplaying, but the character you're roleplaying is a shit.

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »
I talked to the two players today and we've worked for a solution. They are going to make new characters both of em. We're going to make the backgrounds together, when we have time and decide how they are going to be tied in to the story, so both characters will be up to date on whats happening with the plot and have good reasons to work together with the rest of the party.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
I talked to the two players today and we've worked for a solution. They are going to make new characters both of em. We're going to make the backgrounds together, when we have time and decide how they are going to be tied in to the story, so both characters will be up to date on whats happening with the plot and have good reasons to work together with the rest of the party.
Good to se you found an answer that everyone is willing to go with. Best of luck to you.
I know gameology-fu.

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
A lil update:
I've generated the first of the two characters today together with one player.
He now has a good basis for a backstory, one that I'm plenty happy with. Its both cliche and original and offers a good way for him to stay motivated.
And we've got a good way of getting him involved with the party.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?