Author Topic: DMM Heighten, Does it work RAW?  (Read 25835 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
Re: DMM Heighten, Does it work RAW?
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
Assuming for a second that your can't cast spells of a higher level than slot you have. You start all your silly hand waving and praying for a max level spell, the slot is techanly used for the day, but before you complete your masterpiece, you decide to make it bigger with DMM (heighten). Now DMM and Heighten care about only two things, do you have enough turn attempts for the level increase and is the spell below level nine. So the two feats agree, the spell is a legal target, you burn two turn attempts to increase the spell by one level.

Now...does it fizzle or does it get cast?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
heres additional reason why it does work ....  notice from the FAQ found here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a .... on page 40:
...and carnivore for the win!

Yeah, had any of us thought to look there first, the thread could have died at only one page.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
heres additional reason why it does work ....  notice from the FAQ found here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a .... on page 40:
...and carnivore for the win!

Yeah, had any of us thought to look there first, the thread could have died at only one page.

Not really as many here would agree that the Sage really is not a good source for consistent rules interpretation or arbitration.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »
Yeah, but on a topic that is sufficiently vague as to allow either interpretation, and with two sides that are solidly opposed to the other, I'll take whatever ammo I can get.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
it is also the only "Official" ammo to be used .... since the info found there is considered official by WoTC

:D

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
A buddy just pointed out to me that characters and NPCs cast spells they can't normally cast all the time.  Scrolls.  Just gotta make the Spellcraft check.
Placeholder - T'tosc

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
A buddy just pointed out to me that characters and NPCs cast spells they can't normally cast all the time.  Scrolls.  Just gotta make the Spellcraft check.
I think you meant caster level check, but yes, this is true. I use this tactic all the time, especially around levels 14-15 to get access to 9th level spells when they are needed in a crunch.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
I think you meant caster level check, but yes, this is true. I use this tactic all the time, especially around levels 14-15 to get access to 9th level spells when they are needed in a crunch.

Er... yeah, Caster Level
Placeholder - T'tosc