Author Topic: What fantasy metals are ferrous?  (Read 1599 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
What fantasy metals are ferrous?
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
   I am currently reading the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide. It lists a number of mundane items. One of which is a magnet. It describes using said magnet to pick up steel, mithril and adamantine. I have never considered either mithril or adamantine to be ferrous metals before. In your campaigns are these metals effected by magnetic fields?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: What fantasy metals are ferrous?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I thought mithril was supposed to be yttrium silver.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
Nah, mithral is obviously aluminum.

The article's author neglected to point out that aluminum can be found in pure form, but only exceedingly rarely.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »
Smelting bauxite is pretty hard to do I guess, and mithril as it's used in fantasy seems to be stronger aluminium.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:45:02 AM »
I have a material in my world called "Kobold's Ore" which is a magic version of cobalt which is ferrous.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
well, I definitely see adamantine as being ferrous.

I've always associated mithril with titanium, which is paramagnetic (as opposed to ferromagnetic)

:twocents:

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.