Author Topic: The Alliteration Arcanist - Eladrin Gish  (Read 2593 times)

McDungeon

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
The Alliteration Arcanist - Eladrin Gish
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:07:06 AM »
Or...  Shield/Sword/Spells/Staff/Stealth/Spiral Tower/Specializations/Second Implement... Well you get the theme, things starting with S.

Eladrin
str 12 dex 14 con 16 wis 10 int 18 cha 8  + stat bumps to int/con  (Alternatively, this build can be 13 str/dex and skip arcane reach/shield specialization till later).

Extra skill:  Stealth

Staff Implement Mastery.

Paragon Path:  Spiral Tower.

Feats
1.  Leather armor
2.  Two weapon fighting -> 12.  Hide specialization  or check below
4.  Two weapon defense ->  11.  Shield Proficiency  or check below
6.  Improved Init or check below
8.  Toughness or check below
10.  Eladrin Soldier
11.  Shield Specialization
12.  Hide armor
14+  Free, but some recommendations:  Second Implement (wand), Arcane Reach, Wintertouched, Lasting Frost, Skill focus stealth, Feystep Protection, Eladrin Soldier.

Note:  Don't take weapon focus as it won't stack with longsword, tho if you use say a bastard sword via a feat, it might be worth it.

Spell selection:  Bigby ones.  This combos well with the shield specialization or two weapon focus due to the reflex bonus.  Avoid any Save end spells, wall effects and the like are also good for you.

Notes:  So your Will defense is kinda bad, luckily Eladrin bumps it up by +1, and wizard does as well, leaving it pretty well rounded overall.

High defenses are great, staff mastery will make any unpleasant attacks that are close miss completely.

Stealth training, though not as cool as a warlock there's a few ways for a wizard to get cover as well as the following Combat advantage then.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Alliteration Arcanist - Eladrin Gish
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

High defenses are great, staff mastery will make any unpleasant attacks that are close miss completely.

Once per encounter, versus one enemy, that is. You better hope your foe doesn't have multiple attacks for whatever reason. Won't negate a critical, either. It's good, I won't deny that, but it's not the lifesaver you're making it out to be.

Notes:  So your Will defense is kinda bad, luckily Eladrin bumps it up by +1, and wizard does as well, leaving it pretty well rounded overall.
Oh, Will Defense shouldn't be a problem. Are you sure you want to keep your Wis low, though? A lot of the secondary effects of Wizard spells are keyed off Wisdom, particularly forced movement and secondary damage.

Note:  Don't take weapon focus as it won't stack with longsword, tho if you use say a bastard sword via a feat, it might be worth it.
You don't get to use Bastard Swords with Corellon's Implement. It's Longsword or no sword. Also: Are you sure you want Cha to be your dump stat? *points to Radiant Censure* Granted, it's not phenomenal, but hey, no need to hit damage is still no need to hit damage.

I'll leave the critique of the rest of the build to the REAL experts.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Alpha

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »
1. Bump Con down a bit.  You need Wis more than the extra 2hp+1surge(Thunderwave and its kin are important for wizard gish), and the +2 for your staff ability is plenty.  Maybe even bump Con down to 12.

2. Skip the two-weapon feats.  You won't actually want to get into combat in heroic tier: you're just not as allergic to it as an orb/wand wizard.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:55:17 PM »
1. Bump Con down a bit.  You need Wis more than the extra 2hp+1surge(Thunderwave and its kin are important for wizard gish), and the +2 for your staff ability is plenty.  Maybe even bump Con down to 12.

Also, your Con won't really affect any other powers, and as mentioned before, the 1/encounter staff defense power isn't worth having a smaller Wis over.

2. Skip the two-weapon feats.  You won't actually want to get into combat in heroic tier: you're just not as allergic to it as an orb/wand wizard.

That might even carry well into paragon and epic tier, too. Wizards are just way too squishy for that.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:12 AM »

This is a staff wizard.  Con is his second most important stat next to Int.  Wis is a tertiary stat for Staff wizards at best.

Once per encounter, versus one enemy, that is. You better hope your foe doesn't have multiple attacks for whatever reason. Won't negate a critical, either. It's good, I won't deny that, but it's not the lifesaver you're making it out to be.

His base AC is going to be v. good on it's own though.  Hide armor + Super high Int + Staff Mastery will give him AC as good as the front line defenders...which means he's not hit too often - increasing the value of the once/encounter ability.

Overall - a decent Staff Wizard IMO.  (Staff wizards make excellent candidates for WotST).
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
Overall - a decent Staff Wizard IMO.  (Staff wizards make excellent candidates for WotST).

Specially if the longsword counts as any implement. Too bad there aren't any cool WotST-compatible longswords around yet.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]