Author Topic: Venom Draconian  (Read 2706 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Venom Draconian
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »
If you've read any of the fluff from the Dragons of Krynn, Venom Draconians are created using Black Dragon eggs and a profane ritual.  Unfortunately for the evil doers doing the ritual, the draconians that hatch have an alignment opposite of the parent of the eggs. (Gold Dragon Eggs = Bad; Red Dragon eggs = good)  Thus Venom Draconians have a good alignment. 

Character Concept: Good aligned assassin

Dragons of Krynn, "They use the same tactics to fight the darkness that their ancestors used in its service: lies, deceit, and deviousness."

Race: Venom Draconinan
Source: Dragons of Krynn
[spoiler]
Dragon: Immune to paralysis and magic sleep. Darkvision (60 feet) and low-light vision
Disease Immunity (EX)
Gallop: Gain "Run" as a bonus feat
Glide (EX): Can use their wings to glide
Inspired by Dragons (Ex): Draconians are drawn to dragons and revere them.  When under the command of a true dragon whose alignment is within one step of their own, or when entering a battle under the command of such a dragon, draconians receive a +1 morale bonus on all attacks and saving throws.
Low Metabolishm: Draconians can survive on one-tenth the food and water it takes to sustain a human.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Base Land Speed: 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: Two levels of Dragon.
Racial Skills: Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot
Racial Feats: Armor Proficiency (Light), Martial Weapon Proficiency (Short Sword, Short Bow).
Proficiency with all simple weapons.
Natural Weapons: Bite (1d4)
+2 Natural Armor Bonus
Death Throes: A venom Draconian's Body blows up in a pool o facid upon death affecting all within 5 feet. They take 1d6 points of acid damage per round they are in the area.  It last for 1d6 rounds.

Poison (Ex): Injury (bite); Fort DC (10 + 1/2 Venom Draconians Hit Dice + Constutition Modifier); 1d6 Con/1d6 Con.
Sneak Attack: A venom draconian deals an extra 1d6 points of damage. (Exactly like a Rogue)
Spell Resistance: 11 + Class Level
Favored Class: Rogue
Level Adjustment: +2
[/spoiler]

I'd like to focus on it's poisonous bite.  Combined with Swordsage.... you can decimate an opponent by doing constitution damage.

Anyone feel inspired to comment to help me build out a "Good" aligned assassin type character?

Notes:
[spoiler]
Starting Stats (30 Point Buy)  [Racial modifiers applied]
Strength: 8
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 12

Build: Venom Draconian 2/Swordsage 18

Feats:
Ability Focus: (Poison)
Adaptive Style

More to come later.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Venom Draconian
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:18:50 AM »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:26:46 AM »
Druid 5 for vemonfire!
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »
See if you can Apprentice yourself to a Dragnwrought kobold. You know, so you have a +1 to attacks and saving throws until level 6?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

+1 ...awesome...combine with Warblade ...as follows:

Venom Draconinan 4(2 HD +2 LA) ... will assume LA Buyoff used

Venom Draconinan 2/ Warblade 5/ Avenger 10/ Pious Templar 3

:D

Jopustopin

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
You guys think I should avoid the whole constituion damage with my bite attack?  What benefits are there for me to go into Avenger and Pious Templar over Swordsage? 

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »
did you click on the Link The_Mad_Linguist posted .... basicly a Good Aligned Assassin ... Pious Templar 3 will give: Weapon Specializtion and Mettle and some minor class abilities

but if you want to focus on Initiator abilities....

Venom Draconinan 2/ Warblade 2/ Crusader 2/ Bloodstorm Blade 9/ Master of Nine 5

will give you effectively:

BAB +18
Warblade 18th lvl Initiator level with 9th lvl Manuvers
Crusader 18th lvl Initiator level with 9th lvl Manuvers

great Melee attacks and Great Ranged Attacks

:D

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
I dont have the book but this has perked my intrest  :D  Is there any online data I can read?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Jopustopin

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »
Some rules: We use a variant partial BAB and Save stacking where you only get the +2 once for saving throws.  Also the Warblade's recovery was changed slightly (nerfed marginally) to "You can recover all expended maneuvers with a single swift action, which must be immediately followed in the same round with a melee attack or using a standard action to do nothing else in the round"  That is, the DM is saying that in order to recover the maneuvers I cannot attack twice, I must attack once.  I.E. no full attack just a single swing.

All books allowed, subject to DM's oddness.  (He likes to find ways to nerf melee classes but leave the Tier 1 classes alone)

So I'll probably go with Dragon 2/Warblade 5/Assassin 10/Warblade 3

Pious Templar doesn't fit the character I want to play (and in all honestly probably won't get that high a level anyway)

Build:
[spoiler]
30 Point Buy
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 16
Charisma: 10
Wisdom: 8
Intelligence: 14

Level 1: Dragon Weapon Finesse
Level 2: Dragon
Level 3: Warblade Ability Focus [Poison]
Level 4: Warblade
Level 5: Warblade
Level 6: Warblade Martial Study [Shadow Jaunt]
Level 7: Warblade Improved Initiative?
Level 8: Avenger
Level 9: Avenger Martial Stance [Assassin's Stance]

[/spoiler]

Jopustopin

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:54 AM »
New question on this guy.  The DM likes the Pathfinder variant of poison better than the 3.5 version so we'll be using that.

Question A: What would the bite translate to in pathfinder?
Question 2: Should I take Ability Focus (Poison) using the new rules, or focus on other things?
Bonus Question: Can one be a lawful good assassin?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:48:37 AM »
Just point out that the "avenger" prestige class is exactly identical to assassin except for alignment.
Planetouched Handbook

Jopustopin

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
Yeah, but I mean can one justify a "lawful good" person who assassinates people (for whatever reason).  Anyway I have a new question about the avenger prestige class.

Does the avenger get sneak attack at 2nd,4th,6th,8th, and 10th or 1st,3rd,5th,7th, and 9th?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
Yeah, but I mean can one justify a "lawful good" person who assassinates people (for whatever reason).

Yes, you can be LG and assassinate people. I happen to know some people that fit that description 100%.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »
Yeah, but I mean can one justify a "lawful good" person who assassinates people (for whatever reason). 

Didn't Luke Skywalker try to to assassinate the emperor?  Didn't Frodo assassinate Sauron via the Ring?  Doesn't James Bond assassinate his numerous victims villains.
Planetouched Handbook

Dragonamedrake

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
Yeah, but I mean can one justify a "lawful good" person who assassinates people (for whatever reason).  Anyway I have a new question about the avenger prestige class.

Does the avenger get sneak attack at 2nd,4th,6th,8th, and 10th or 1st,3rd,5th,7th, and 9th?

Straight from the fluff of the class description...

Avengers are the mysterious sentinels of a nation-state, sworn to protect it no matter the cost. While chivalrous knights and doughty fighters take to the field of battle in defense of their homeland, avengers fight from the shadows striking down their targets swiftly and precisely.

"What is the death of single man when weighed against the survival of our nation? Is his destruction, no matter how effected, an act of evil if it averts untold suffering and death?"
Rafarann Shadowstrike, Avenger.

So yeah it can be justified. You wont be taking hit jobs from your local assassin's guild, but you could work for a nation or a religious group. In real life throughout history several different religions had assassins at one point or another. Holy wars are still wars and in war you need to be able to take out key individuals with little bloodshed.

Jopustopin

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
Cool you guys, thanks! 

Anyone know about what levels the avenger's sneak attack progresses?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Exactly the same as the assassin.  It's the assassin class with a different alignment and name.
Planetouched Handbook

Jopustopin

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
The assassin in the DMG has the same thing.  The table shows an odd level progression, the text shows an even level progression.  I think it's intended as being odd going against the text trumps table. 

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

Jopustopin

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
For my last post, I only ask what you think and what you'd do differently (given the concept in the first post).  Thanks for the help you guys, I took your suggestions and made this:

Dragon 2/Warblade 5/Avenger 8/Warblade 5

[spoiler]
2 Levels of Dragon are required.  I get a Bite Attack (Poisonous: Fort DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con deals 1d6/1d6 con damage) and a Tail Attack and +1d6 Sneak Attack
5 Levels of Warblade gives me: White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge.
8 Levels of Avenger gives me Hide in Plain Sight, 3rd level assassin spells, and +4d6 Sneak Attack
5 more levels of Warblade gives me an IL of 15 at level 20.  Int to damage when flanking and more!

Feat Progression:
1) Dragon Tail (Races of Dragon)
3) Weapon Finesse
6) Adaptive Style
Warblade 5) Improved Initiative
9) Martial Study (Hand of Death)
12) Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)
15) Two-Weapon Fighting [wearing the gloves that give TWF in MIC]
18) Heroic Surge (Dragon Lance Feat)

Will be using Heroic Surge and Sudden Leap to move myself into position for Full Attacks.  Until level 15 the Maneuvers I'll have prepared for the most part will be: White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Surge, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Sudden Leap.

Starting Stats (30 Point Buy)
(+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis)

Strength: 10     (2 Points)            
Dexterity: 18     (10 point)
Constitution: 16  (10 points)
Charisma: 10     (0 Points)
Wisdom:   8      (2 Points)
Intelligence:14   (6 Points)

[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:59:43 PM by Jopustopin »