Author Topic: Anime/Manga II  (Read 139781 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Anime/Manga II
« Reply #440 on: November 07, 2010, 01:04:01 AM »
Apparently Rin failed because of daylight savings time or something.  
That's the reason she believed, but also her focus item was heavily tied to Archer without her knowledge.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #441 on: November 07, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »
Another proof about pactios producing artifacts being rare, is when Yue faced a wind dragon and suddenly regains enough memory to use her pactio. Her classmate Collet (I think) was in awe that Yue not only possesses a pactio card, but one with an artifact-level capability. This is clue enough that in the world lore, what Negi is capable of providing is very rare indeed.

Well, now that I think about it...
-The whole magic world armies is weaker than any single member of Negi's team as seen on the last battles. And don't give me that "oh they're magic world citizens so they auto-lose" crap, when Negi's crew was on the magic-created battleship it blew up demons just fine!
-Their best security system was broken down in a matter of seconds.
-Dragons, suposedly the biggest most fearsome beasts around, are little more than chump fodder for even the suposedly weakest Negi members. Nevermind the ninja, Yue defeated one with a freaking knife!

Seems like somehow Negi managed to turn Magic Word into very easy mode somewhere along the line. Hordes of veteran adventurers pale when put near real world schoolgirls.

EDIT: Something nothingclever showed me:
I prefer to think that Aizen prefered to spend his budget in something more usefull than fancy fortifications. :p

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2010, 01:51:23 AM »
Another proof about pactios producing artifacts being rare, is when Yue faced a wind dragon and suddenly regains enough memory to use her pactio. Her classmate Collet (I think) was in awe that Yue not only possesses a pactio card, but one with an artifact-level capability. This is clue enough that in the world lore, what Negi is capable of providing is very rare indeed.

-The whole magic world armies is weaker than any single member of Negi's team as seen on the last battles. And don't give me that "oh they're magic world citizens so they auto-lose" crap, when Negi's crew was on the magic-created battleship it blew up demons just fine!
-Dragons, suposedly the biggest most fearsome beasts around, are little more than chump fodder for even the suposedly weakest Negi members. Nevermind the ninja, Yue defeated one with a freaking knife!

Seems like somehow Negi managed to turn Magic Word into very easy mode somewhere along the line. Hordes of veteran adventurers pale when put near real world schoolgirls.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2010, 01:33:10 AM »
Trained by the Dark Evangel.
Evangeline noted that they'd be capable of dealing with anything short of a full army when they left, and being separated was power leveling for them.
The armies CAN hurt the enemy forces, but only if 'real' people are on board. Godel said as much, real people can hurt them, magic world people can't. It's not the weapons, it's the motive force for them.

The security system is not actually defeated by Chisame's skill, it's defeated by the artifact Negi spawned + her skill. More the artifact really, and by extension, Negi.

The dragon didn't lose to a knife, it got hit by an attack with a powerful lightning spell on it's weak spot. White Lightning is, remember, as powerful as Mahora Festival Negi could pull off. So assuming it's the same grade of dragon in the school basement(unlikely, the griffin dragon seems weaker), Setsuna noted she could have fought it if she had the time.

As for the artifact matter, it was noted that only powerful mages/ki users grant them at all, and as we've seen, Misora's artifact(super running shoes) is nowhere near the same tier as Negi's harem's. So you need a certain minimum power to grant an artifact at all, and the ministra needs a certain level of trust(Negi can for example, summon any of his girls to him within a certain range), and if the ministra doesn't have enough energy to power the artifact, all that power comes out of the mage.
If Negi wasn't protagonist material he'd have fainted from the mana loss of supporting so many contract activations.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
Trying to scare humans when the only humans around are adventurers...

Well, considering on how she seems to go after humans flying in the sky while rampaging trough hordes of fairies, she isn't exactly einstein level on picking her victims. Also the video makes a common mistake. Karakasa is the umbrella, the girl below is just a manifestation.

And since we're mentioning it, Touhou 12 provides plenty of grimtouhou!
[spoiler]
-Both Reimu and Sanae claim they're exterminating youkai just because they're youkai.
-Sane confirms she's trying to kill the youkai. Twice at least. There's no room for secondary interpretations there. She even acts suprised when the rat youkai comes back, thinking she had finisher her.
-Karakasa confirms that there's still human-meat eating youkai, while she feeds on fear.
-Reimu doesn't say kill, but only because she aparently wants the youkai alive enough time to tell her where the treasure is. Gangster-Reimu at it's best!
-Captain Murasa's background not only puts her at having sinked several ships, leading to the drowning of countless people, she claims she wants to revive her mistress in order to make a youkai-only world.
-Did I mention how all the characters end up breaking the final seal willingly? Didn't they learn anything from PCB?
-Finally, considering how the final boss was sealed for a thousand years, there's no way she learned non-lethal danmaku. And she's resisting you with all her might. Even Reimu thinks she's creepy.

[/spoiler]

Also, Touhou Rap!

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »
Poor Kogasa, always so unlucky in her efforts to scare/surprise people. New youkai moe indeed. Also, this.

I like the Suwako video. The audio track is good enough to be an anime opening in my opinion. Of course, everyone knows Suwako willingly gave up Moriya Shrine to Kanako. She just wanted to goof around rather than maintain a shrine, so she passed the duties over to her husbando, Guncannon.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: November 07, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
Kogasa already scored a single hit though.

[spoiler]Return as the last stage's midboss? Everyone was surprised!

And guess what, her power is surprising humans. That means, us.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
Kogasa already scored a single hit though.

[spoiler]Return as the last stage's midboss? Everyone was surprised!

And guess what, her power is surprising humans. That means, us.[/spoiler]
Check out her Karakasa-Excalibur in the vid that Prime or veekie posted earlier. Sure did surprise me.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
KARAKASA, THE UMBRELLA OF PROMISED VICTORY!

Also, I must ask, most fanworks seem to put Marisa as "manly" woman with balls of adamantium, but the games seem to point more to someone simply insane (she directly admits that in one of the titles) who's as prone to blow stuff up with maximum power or want to be a chief maid just because. What's your opinion on the matter?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
KARAKASA, THE UMBRELLA OF PROMISED VICTORY!

Also, I must ask, most fanworks seem to put Marisa as "manly" woman with balls of adamantium, but the games seem to point more to someone simply insane (she directly admits that in one of the titles) who's as prone to blow stuff up with maximum power or want to be a chief maid just because. What's your opinion on the matter?

I'd put her at Genki Girl/typical adventurer level. She doesn't so much 'directly admit' to being insane as she just says she is. I refer to myself as insane all the time. In addition, she's a liar. She's mostly depicted as insanely manly because she is, for all intents and purposes, a normal human who got to a roughly equivalent power level to Reimu and others through nothing but Training To Get Stronger. She's basically the Badass Normal, as Normal as someone can be in Touhou.

Then, of course,t here's the Cho-Marisa doujins which run away with it and cast her as a bodybuilder, but that's a joke.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
I'd put her at Genki Girl/typical adventurer level. She doesn't so much 'directly admit' to being insane as she just says she is. I refer to myself as insane all the time. In addition, she's a liar.

However, she was indeed in a situation that should drive humans insane, like pointed out by Alice wich was with her at the moment, wich asks Marisa how is possible that she looks completely unaffected by the maddening moon energy. To wich Marisa calmly replies she's already insane.

Plus, her complete randomness both supports the insanity and justify the lies. Heck, in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil pretty much all bosses question her mental state! And then in Imperishable Night she tries to tackle Reimu AND Yukari at the same time by herself! If you play her as the main character
[spoiler]
she shows a moment of sanity, telling Alice to don't provoke Reimu, only to call her a b**** ten seconds later!
[/spoiler]

I however understand the hard-working= MANLINESS!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
I'd put her at Genki Girl/typical adventurer level. She doesn't so much 'directly admit' to being insane as she just says she is. I refer to myself as insane all the time. In addition, she's a liar.

However, she was indeed in a situation that should drive humans insane, like pointed out by Alice wich was with her at the moment, wich asks Marisa how is possible that she looks completely unaffected by the maddening moon energy. To wich Marisa calmly replies she's already insane.
So she made her will save. Every human (or half-human, for that matter) was exposed to the moon. In Reimu/Yukari's scenario, Yukari didn't even mention it. Again, I'm pretty sure that "I'm insane to begin wtih" was a crack at herself. Also again, I do that kind of stuff all the time, and I passed the psychologic test for the military with full points. :p

Plus, her complete randomness both supports the insanity and justify the lies. Heck, in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil pretty much all bosses question her mental state! And then in Imperishable Night she tries to tackle Reimu AND Yukari at the same time by herself! If you play her as the main character
[spoiler]
she shows a moment of sanity, telling Alice to don't provoke Reimu, only to call her a b**** ten seconds later!
[/spoiler]
You call that insanity? I call that a Crowning Moment of Awesome by way of overcoming her fear of her rival. Her behavior overall is basically as expected from a typical adventurer. As for EoSD, she did break into the mansion without explanation (though she was in fact there to stop the incident... and probably plunder the place).

Basically: You believe in Grimsokyo being canon. Most others don't. Sorry. :p

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I however understand the hard-working= MANLINESS!

For the sanity matter, Marisa's magic is powered by concentrated Magic Mushroom extract(which she also does such things like spike the village's water supply with, burn, eat, stew, litter, make into bombs...well you get the idea).
Shes probably pretty high while on her adventures.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »
For the sanity matter, Marisa's magic is powered by concentrated Magic Mushroom extract(which she also does such things like spike the village's water supply with, burn, eat, stew, litter, make into bombs...well you get the idea).
Shes probably pretty high while on her adventures.

Now that explains a LOT. Thanks!

You call that insanity? I call that a Crowning Moment of Awesome by way of overcoming her fear of her rival. Her behavior overall is basically as expected from a typical adventurer. As for EoSD, she did break into the mansion without explanation (though she was in fact there to stop the incident... and probably plunder the place).
Well, in Moutain of Faith she does claim she's the hero there to save the day and going forth with a bang. And wants booze. Still, typical adventurers aren't exactly what I would call "sane". :p

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
There's a new chapter of the Nanoha MOVIE 1st manga on Mangafox, for anyone who reads it.

Quote from: Paraphrased
"So Fate, what should you do if you meet an enemy with a shield you can't break?"
"Create a giant energy sword and cut them in two?"
"Don't be silly, you wouldn't be able to lift it. Maybe when you're older."

Quote from: Not paraphrased
Parallel processing...? No. Two magics are processed at the same time! She and he!

Which Touhou manga are the official ones again?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]