Author Topic: Need Some Monsters  (Read 3270 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Need Some Monsters
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
If there was a gaming resort done up ala Jurassic Park where you could hunt any creature of any difficulty, for a mere 1000 to 100,000 gold, what would you want to take on? I had a fair number of monsters, but a few of them turned out to be homebrew.

The sources can be from Tome of Horrors 1 to 3, any Monster Manual, and the Fiend Folio. You can even add templates for it. Like say you wanted to fight a celestial, which are normally good. If you can a way to make them evil, like a fiendish or white half-dragon solar, you can do that.

So far I've got:
Thorny Spellwarped Black Half-Dragon Fiendish Dire Bear
Paragon Fiendish Hellcat
Paragon Legendary Tiger
Thorny Spellwarped Half-Fiend Black Half-Dragon Dire Hydra, 12-headed
Spellwarped Landwalker Half-Fiend Flame-Spawned Hellfire Maurid Bloodshark
Iron Golem
Tomstone Golem
Dire Winter Wolf
Condordant Killer
Angel of Decay
Horrific Vasuthant
Lunar Ravager Barbarian
Protean Scourge
White Spawn Hunter
War Troll Sergeant
Demonflesh Golem
Githyanki Soldier
Merchurion
Death Knight
Legendary Tiger
Brachyurus
Gloom
Hoary Hunter
Master of the Wild
Tayellah
Jarilith
Thyrm Hound
Adamantine Golem
Sirrush (Single and Three-headed)
Vampires (Master, standard, Lord)
Ogre Mage
Pixie
Ethergaunt
Wereboar
Arrow Demon
Half-Elf
Half-Iron Golem
Lemorian
Half-Fey
Human Fighter

They can be of any CR between 13-27. I was thinking of putting in a tarrasque, but I wonder if that wouldn't be too much. However, some people would want to hunt that. Or a version of it, at least.

EDIT: If you can, try to make them no more than Huge size. I've got a couple of colossal in there, I know but the island resort might not have colossal sized trees.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:31:51 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
Re: Need Some Monsters
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
The 5 Chromatic Great Wyrms. As well as a Fang Great Wyrm.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
The 5 Chromatic Great Wyrms. As well as a Fang Great Wyrm.
Just edited it. I forgot to mention a key factor about size. I might still keep a dragon or two. Just put them in underwater caves, or mountain caves, etc.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »
The advantage of the tarrasque is that you can just keep it around after the customers knock it down to negitive hit points and it will be up and ready for the next batch.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:39:55 AM »
The advantage of the tarrasque is that you can just keep it around after the customers knock it down to negitive hit points and it will be up and ready for the next batch.
This is true. The resort's a scam, actually. All of them are going to be maurids. They look like the real deal, but they're a duller colour than the original, and when they die, they just respawn 24 hours later in a random spot no more than 500 feet from their birthing location. Anyone who figures out that it's not the real deal, will get a discount to stay quiet.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
Wow. That didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped. They slaughtered everything within 1-2 rounds.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
So I've come to learn the hard way that a CR 23 creature is absolutely no match for four ECL 20 PCs. I honestly had no idea. I thought it'd at least give them a challenge. Boy, was I ever wrong. So I'm going to advance a few of them with class levels and their own creature HD, and increase the number of monsters in a couple of areas. I'm starting to believe that CR 25-27 is necessary to even attempt to stop these guys.

The treasures that the creatures have for "standard", "double standard", etc, will be given to the creatures themselves. There will be other treasure areas that will accommodate for this, and make up for it as well. If they don't find it, that's their fault. :p When you're playing a lvl 20 campaign, I'm not holding your hand. I think that's fair.

All creatures are getting the Maurid template. It adds +1 CR, gives them max hp, changes their skin to a gray, and gives them the maurid subtype. It also gains some immunities. Check out the templates at Crystal Keep for more info.

Also, no ToB recommendations.

First up is the thorciasid. I thought this alone would do them in, and it kind of almost did. If the arcane users hadn't botched their spells, this might have been over very, very quickly, and it would have been destroyed in mere seconds. I hadn't realized that.

And yes, I'm trying to take these guys out. It's a Tome of Horrors style. However, let me know if there's no possible way that a group of 12 lvl 20 characters couldn't touch these guys because of AC being too high, etc.

Advancement will be +4 aberration levels to 33, +2 rage monk levels (that wisdom is too insane not to), +1 lion totem barbarian level (pounce).
New CR = 27. +6d8+72 and +1d12+12 HP, +5 BAB, +2 to Fort and Ref saves, +3 to Will, 8+int (aberration), 4+int x2 (monk), 4+int (barbarian), worth 155k (+4 CHA tome for +2 DC increase; 11000, ??? worth 45k). Feats (3+2) I'll determine later (MultiAttack and Improved MultiAttack are likely), +1 stat Wis, +1 stat Cha (+1 to DC). New AC is +10 for 53 (Dodge feat variant is +1 permanent). Rage likely won't be used, but it's there just in case. Touch and Flat-Footed AC is -18 and -15.

Others I'm looking at seem to be okay for CR (ie Adamantine Golem), but if they're put together with other creatures, it'll increase their CR anyways. I'm just finding that the PCs were not only able to hit them easily, but damage them with ridiculous amounts of hurt. Even if one of the characters may have cheated with their build.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:46:41 PM by kevin_video »

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
well idk about your party but my wiz at level 19 solo'd the bbeg in our campaign. and he was cr 25.

what i would suggest is, instead of just one bad ass, trying throwing some numbers at them. have your epic cr 25 etc, followed around by afew cr 19's or something.
this should help with keeping your monster from getting force fired by your entire party and insta owned

Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:59 AM »
The Giamonk.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:02:37 AM »
well idk about your party but my wiz at level 19 solo'd the bbeg in our campaign. and he was cr 25.

what i would suggest is, instead of just one bad ass, trying throwing some numbers at them. have your epic cr 25 etc, followed around by afew cr 19's or something.
this should help with keeping your monster from getting force fired by your entire party and insta owned
Well the bbeg will be a CR 24 wizard/fighter/eldritch knight ethergaunt and he'll have a number of mirror minions who are exact copies of the pieces. Well, possible copies, but varied. So the point is to weaken them before this point. There's also going to be the Master of the Wild and his hounds, as well as a few others that will be against the raping of nature that the island will have been doing, and the PCs will be the scapegoats because the NPCs will place all blame on them.

One fight will be an advanced iron golem, tombstone golem, adamantine golem, and advanced demonflesh golem. That should at least try to slow them down. There'll also be a small band of vampires too. If they can hit the PCs, they'll drain them pretty well.

I don't want to take it easy on them, but I don't want to slaughter them on the first fight.

And Solo, what is a Giamonk?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »
And Solo, what is Giamonk?
About half his ECL in CR, I'd say.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 06:48:38 AM »
And Solo, what is Giamonk?
About half his ECL in CR, I'd say.
Still not completely following.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
Solo's probably referring to "Sir Giancomo", this guys "Guide to Monks" and the fact that you can see him as a sub-species of a Troll. :P
Solo has a history of making fun of Giancomo at a somewhat regular basis.

Giancomo and Aelryinth are the two most commonly ridiculed people around here.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
All creatures are getting the Maurid template. It [...] gives them the maurid template.
??? Yo dawg...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
All creatures are getting the Maurid template. It [...] gives them the maurid template.
???
Check out Dungeon Magazine 112, p 102.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »
???
Check out Dungeon Magazine 112, p 102.
I think it's more the fact that the template is apparently a tautology.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
Got it, and edited it. The second "template" should read "subtype".

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 03:46:14 PM »
Giancomo and Aelryinth are the two most commonly ridiculed people around here.

Excellent...

For what it's worth I'm STILL getting PMs about the awesomeness of Aelbabble vs Aelryinth. I actually forgot that was still there and took it down after the latest. :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]