Author Topic: Is there a Gate for NON extraplanar creatures?  (Read 1366 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Is there a Gate for NON extraplanar creatures?
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
Hi there, I was thinking that a cool thematic thing for a high level summoning druid might be to, eventually, find a *particular* creature of the time that they summon, and then call them sometimes.  While writing up my Rashemi druid, I thought it'd be cool if she actually went home and FOUND one of those Orglash Storm Elementals she's fond of summoning, and did some services for it, and occasionally Gated it in.  The only problem is, calling via Gate is a.) Extraplanar specific, and Orglashes aren't, and b.) Requires XP.

Does anyone know of a Calling spell that isn't extraplanar specific, and would be appropriate for getting this creature to her and back to whatever it was doing for a "Let's destabilize Thay! / Red Wizard killing spree!" adventure?
BG's other resident furry!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Is there a Gate for NON extraplanar creatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »
I had a power in my psionic powers revision that allowed you to do that. You manifest it on a creature you touch (it received PR and a save) and you can Call it any time thereafter (at which time it's discharged), but whatever you pull in isn't required to act in any particular way, so if you pull in someone (or -thing) that hates you...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
I think there's a summon monster variant where it's the same monster each time, which seems about what you want.

You can also go to a different plane and summon from there, since extraplanar is relative.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
Reread gate. You can always open a gate without Calling in front of the creature you want. You can't force it to come through, but it doesn't cost XP, either. Unfortunately, however, it does have to be on another plane. Open a planar bubble first?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:47:08 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:50:35 AM »
Good point... I could just open it and gesture wildly...  Presuming the character is a, uh, level 18 druid.  I guess at that point, the druid would be some obscure angel from her Planar Shepherd plane, so she'd be able to talk in her battle form...

Say, anyone have a list of cool planar shepherd forms for the House of Nature from Forgotten Realms?
BG's other resident furry!

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
Leskylor from BoED is pretty awesome.