Author Topic: [Pathfinder] Sorcerer  (Read 21710 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: [Pathfinder] Spellcaster Wizard or Sorcerer
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
With the two fighters you're probably good for damage.

Alarm
Protection from Evil
Unseen Servant
Color Spray
Silent Image
Enlarge Person
Summon Monster 1

That'd be my seven as a sorc, but sorcs don't know that many spells known(spells per day now...).
You get 2 level 1s to start with, plus 4 cantrips, + 1 cantrip for being a human.
So I'd instead take Enlarge Person and something like Silent Image or Grease to round it out. The idea is to have magic you can use in practically every situation.
You 5 cantrips can replace that crossbow, with Acid Splash, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Ghost Sound and Prestidigitation for various offense/utility.

Yeah I was getting 7 from at level 7 you have 5 first level spells known and the human favored class bonus for Sorcerers is one spell known, but it has to be 1 level less.  For the first few levels (when I could only get 0 level spells) I'm planning to get HP, and then at level 4 and 5 I would get first level spells bringing me to 7 spells at level 7.

In regards to your list, no Mage Armor and no Grease?  Explain!
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
With the two fighters you're probably good for damage.

Alarm
Protection from Evil
Unseen Servant
Color Spray
Silent Image
Enlarge Person
Summon Monster 1

That'd be my seven as a sorc, but sorcs don't know that many spells known(spells per day now...).
You get 2 level 1s to start with, plus 4 cantrips, + 1 cantrip for being a human.
So I'd instead take Enlarge Person and something like Silent Image or Grease to round it out. The idea is to have magic you can use in practically every situation.
You 5 cantrips can replace that crossbow, with Acid Splash, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Ghost Sound and Prestidigitation for various offense/utility.

I would offer a slight modification to that, which is that if you're going to take Color Spray, the earlier the better. I would take it over Grease as a first-level second spell. (Not necessarily over Silent Image as they fill different functions.)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
As a sorceror, you have to ration your spells known, and as a low level caster you need to consider, "will this spell make a difference?". Mage Armor boosts your non-existent AC to merely scrawny, and at the duration you get, with nobody else in the party using it, it's of limited use until about 4th level or so, when it's better off than Bracers of Armor and lasts some time. At level 7, you certainly could lose Alarm(hell if I know what thats doing in the list actually) for Mage Armor or Grease. At level 1, Color Spray and Grease serves more or less the same role though, mass disabling of enemies, you don't really need both, though Grease extends higher because of the issues of balancing on lube.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »

You lost me when you said Humans get +1 Cantrip.  Is this true, and where do I find that?

Edit: Are you getting that instead of the 1 HP?  Do you think that's worth it?  I sort of assumed that eventually I would have 9 level 0's and that would be more than enough.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:51:24 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
APG has human sorcerer favored class: Instead of 1 skill point or hit point, you get 1 extra spell known of a level lower than your highest castable.

You could go with Sleep up until level 4 or 6, when it loses effectiveness. Enlarge + Longspear = good times, probably. You get levitate on level 4, so you can levitate and attack with a 15ft reach. If you're Arcane bloodline and have a flying familiar, you could presumably use them to drag you around. although that may be something of a Dragon Disciple thing.

Arcane's nice, but I've become more fond of the Destined bloodline recently.

It's more important to look for level-by-level survivability than looking for ultimate power at 20th level. Of course, if you can do both...

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »
Yeah, I just didn't know/think that was worth it when it only netted you level 0 spells.  Are there 12 level 0 spells I want?

I don't know about Sleep, it's just...meh.  Right now I'm thinking about starting with

0 (4) - Detect Magic, Open/Close, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation; 1 (2) - Silent Image, Color Spray;

That way I can find magic, pretend to be a trapfinder, make noise and do whatever I want.  Silent Image and Color Spray seem to be useful in and out of combat.  Level 2 I'll snag mage hand or a Light spell of some sort and level 3 will net me another 1st level, maybe Enlarge person.  4th level will net me some level 2's and another level 1, probably mage armor.  And yeah, go from there.

As for Arcane I was getting it mostly for what seemed like good spells, good feats and a good arcana (I like it particularly in conjunction with bouncing spell).  That and I'm fond of familiars.  My friend recently also complained to me that Arcane's a little weak so I may be changing what Bloodline I am.  Anyone have any input on that?

Edit:
Right now the 1st level spells I'm imagining myself have long term as
Silent Image, Color Spray, Alarm, Enlarge Person, Grease, Mage Armor and Unseen Servant

Should Color Spray be traded out at some level (4 or 6 or something?) for something else?  Protection from Evil or Obscuring Mist?  I like Mist, so I might do that.  By then I might have Summon Monster 2 with Augment Summoning and I won't need Color Spray anymore, plus I'll have Grease.  Spells known would then go something like this.

1st Level - Detect Magic, Open/Close, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Silent Image, Color Spray
2nd - Dancing Lights
3rd - Enlarge Person
4th - Mage Armor, Levitate, (Trade Color Spray for Obscuring Mist?)
5th - Grease, Unseen Servant, Summon Monster 2
6th - Invisibility, Summon Monster 3 (Trade Summon Monster 2 for Web)
7th - Alarm, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, Haste
8th - Fly, Black Tentacles? (Because I love this spell so much)

Etc?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:18:22 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
^^
Better swap that Open/Close for something you could use as a crossbow replacement, no sense wasting good starting wealth on a bow you can't hit well with. Putting the APG human favored class bonus into a free cantrip is not to be sneezed at, especially when you get to add level 1 spells instead at 4th and so on. One of the ever growing list of reasons to be human.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
Out of combat use for color spray?

Frankly, it has three good features:
- it affects creatures above 4hd
- it's illusion so a focused character benefits
- there's less chance of hitting yourself or allies with it.
Now, unconsciousness IS a marginally stronger effect than being asleep, but in both case, the target is helpless.

However, sleep has better area and range, and the same DC if you're not a gnome or illusion-focused.

If APG is in use, I like shadow bloodline, too, btw.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:13 PM »
^^
Better swap that Open/Close for something you could use as a crossbow replacement, no sense wasting good starting wealth on a bow you can't hit well with. Putting the APG human favored class bonus into a free cantrip is not to be sneezed at, especially when you get to add level 1 spells instead at 4th and so on. One of the ever growing list of reasons to be human.

Hm, I could also just use the APG thing to get something to replace a crossbow.

I could use Sleep instead and trade it in, not sure.

See my previous post/edit thing for a proposed learning of spells.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: [Pathfinder] Sorcerer
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
Color Spray is pure combat but I would say it's one of the best combat options at first level. The big problem with Sleep in my opinion is that it caps total targets at 4HD and it automatically targets the weakest ones first, meaning it loses utility even faster than Color Spray (which will still dole out the harshness to however many <5HD enemies you fit in its cone - probably not many, but at least you choose which ones.)

You'll probably retrain Color Spray out at 4th level, but before then I would consider it probably the best option. Grease is almost as good and has the benefit of still working decently beyond that point, so it's a question of whether you'd like to keep your retraining options open at 4 or have a bit of a nastier area disabler before then.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 11:52:28 PM »
This is my new spell learning plan.

Fey Bloodline
        1-Detect Magic, Open/Close, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Daze [Favored], Sleep, Silent Image, Eschew Materials, Improved Initiative, Spell Focus (Enchantment)
        2- Read Magic, Mending [Favored]
        3- Mage Hand[Favored], Grease, Entangle [Bloodline], Spell Focus (Conjuration)
        4- Create Ice, Mage Armor [Favored], Unseen Servant [Trade Sleep], Levitate
        5- Enlarge Person, Obscuring Mist [Favored], Summon Monster 2, Hideous Laughter [Bloodline], Augment Summoning
        6- Arcane Mark, Invisibility [Favored], Web [Trade Summon Monster 2], Summon Monster 3
        7-Alarm, Mirror Image, Rope Trick [Favored], Haste, Deep Slumber [Bloodline], Free Feat, Dodge [Bloodline Feat]
        8 - Fly [Favored], Black Tentacles

Level 8 is apparently about as far as the DM expects to get, so that's what I planned until.  ACF's are the ones from the APG from being human.  I don't really know what I'm doing with those feats yet.  Sleep and Daze get a bonus from the bloodline, and Sleep gets traded out.  I don't think I"ll mind keeping Daze for low level guys in town.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:38:16 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
Still not taking any offensive cantrips?
They're worth the most at level 1-3 when they actually make a difference.

EDIT: Actually, why Fey bloodline when you aren't going to use it's bloodline arcana? +2 DC to compulsions is not to be underestimated.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:03:37 PM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
Still not taking any offensive cantrips?
They're worth the most at level 1-3 when they actually make a difference.

EDIT: Actually, why Fey bloodline when you aren't going to use it's bloodline arcana? +2 DC to compulsions is not to be underestimated.

I might switch I might switch in an offensive cantrip, but I thought spamming a DC 18 Daze would be fine.  I am actually trying to use the Arcana, hence the Daze, Sleep and whatever else I can find.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
That'd teach me to post at 3AM
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:24 PM »
That'd teach me to post at 3AM

I forgive you, you've been very helpful!

The party randomly gained a bunch of players right before the game started yesterday, so now I'm even less worried about being required to do damage.  Sheets can still be edited and changed until next week, because no dice were rolled yet.

Right now the party is:
Fighter (Sword and Board two handed fighting), Rogue (Also two weapon fighting, using Thug I think), Druid (Who doesn't really seem to do that much yet, other than have a Scimitar), a Ranger (Focusing on archery, who has Favored Enemy Human which will probably come up A LOT) and a Bard (who's...being a Bard I guess) and then myself.  Someone also said they might join as a Cleric but I'm not sure.

That's a pretty big party! But I don't know if everyone is going to stick with it, because I only know a few of the players.

My current sorcerer plan is to pretend to be an Enchanter for a few levels and then run from that stuff like crazy because I had Will Negates.  Then, transform in to a Summoner/Battlefield Controller.  In the early level I'll have stupidly high DCs on Daze and Sleep, and we can go around Coup de Grace'ing things.  Around when I get Summon Monster 3 I should have Augment Summoning, I'll keep up some stuff to use my Arcana and then just go in to my plan of casting Web (with increased DC), Haste, Invisiblity, Black Tentacles and I'll just be as happy as a clam.  Thats the hope at least.

Edit:
Current Feat Progression
1: Spell Focus (Enchantment) [Human], Improved Initiative, Eschew Materials [Class Bonus]
3: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
5: Augment Summoning
7: Free Feat, Dodge [Bloodline Feat]

I don't have anything for my other level 7 feat, and the bloodline is super up for discussion, as I"m not really a huge fan of any of it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:40:08 PM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook