Author Topic: Bear Warrior + Equipment  (Read 4566 times)

Blackshade10

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Bear Warrior + Equipment
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:54:13 AM »
Alright, here's my problem!

I'm a Bear Warrior!

And I lose all my stuff when I turn into a bear.

Looking into finding ways so that I'm awesome as a bear. 

Advise?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Bear Warrior + Equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:58:07 AM »
wilding clips on ur stuff, and u can get the wild enhancement for your armor...  or maybe wilding clips for for that too.

if you use a weapon, you can get gloves of man from savage species to use hands instead of claws in animal form.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »
Buy bear-shaped equipment. When not a bear, you will need to tie the very loose clothing and items to yourself with rope that will burst when you become a bear. Be "wearing" it while not an awesome bear, although due to the absurdly poor fit it will probably not benefit you, but this way when you transform you fill it out nicely, because you retain equipment you can use in your new form, IIRC. This is cheaper than magic items, but requires some careful thought as to equipment (hint: cloth everything, inflexible stuff is hard to tie on), and in a very long term campaign it's theoretically possible that the cost of new rope for every encounter will outstrip the cost of magic items for all your stuff. I doubt it, though. Your DM may not allow this on the grounds that it seems silly at face value, but there are probably magic items out there to help (wilding clasps don't, I think, because they're specifically for wildshape, which this isn't, but there is probably something that works for polymorph, or I could be wrong, and your DM should really allow them to work anyway because it's not exactly gamebreaking).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:15 AM »
Buy bear-shaped equipment. When not a bear, you will need to tie the very loose clothing and items to yourself with rope that will burst when you become a bear. Be "wearing" it while not an awesome bear, although due to the absurdly poor fit it will probably not benefit you, but this way when you transform you fill it out nicely, because you retain equipment you can use in your new form, IIRC. This is cheaper than magic items, but requires some careful thought as to equipment (hint: cloth everything, inflexible stuff is hard to tie on), and in a very long term campaign it's theoretically possible that the cost of new rope for every encounter will outstrip the cost of magic items for all your stuff. I doubt it, though. Your DM may not allow this on the grounds that it seems silly at face value, but there are probably magic items out there to help (wilding clasps don't, I think, because they're specifically for wildshape, which this isn't, but there is probably something that works for polymorph, or I could be wrong, and your DM should really allow them to work anyway because it's not exactly gamebreaking).

yeah.. clasps thanks for the correction, sir.

AngellusMortus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:08:15 AM »
You could always take a Vow of Poverty. Or you could take a class that negates you having armor anyway, but gives you awesome bonuses in exchange (Fist of the Forest, CON to AC). My DM ruled that, if you could theoretically wear it in a form, it changes to fit that form. A suit of armor wouldn't work on a bear, for example, but you could throw a very large necklace around a bears neck without difficulty.

Blackshade10

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:13:29 AM »
It is a little late to be choosing different builds mate. ^^;

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:44:40 AM »
You could get "Called Armor" enhancement.  Your bear roar could call "bear shaped armor" to you.  Their is a weapon enhancement that would allow you to use it in your mouth.   Think of using your greatsword in your mouth!  I think it's in Lords of Madness, it's called "Mouthpick"

Fadier

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Looking at the description for Bear Form it does not specify anything about items but refers the polymorph spell, which refers to alter form. Alter form says that you still keep the items if your form can wear or hold them, and magic items re-size themselves so there should not be any problems aside from weapons. As stated before you can use the mouthpick enhancement to fix that, tis on LoM page 46
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:12:10 AM by Fadier »
My gift back to the CO community, the The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:47 AM »
Have your hireling log around a calling armour shaped for a bear, when you go into bear mode, you call the armour, Bing, you are now a bear in a mithral Full plate.

Roar.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Soulmelds keep in alternate forms, IIRC
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Blackshade10

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »

Soulmelds?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »

Soulmelds?
Magic of Incarnum.  Soulmelds and Essentia are the basis for that entire book.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 11:41:33 PM »
Improved unarmed strike/superior unarmed strike

Alternatively half orc paragon/monk into bear warrior. Half orc paragon's rage ability works with lawful characters too.

Dawnmor

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:48 AM »
Im in the same boat as you, dude.  Except with no VOP.  I will forgo armor that about it.

What im doing is Barbarian/Fist of the forest/Bear warrior/Warshaper.  Not exactly in that order.  Get a monks belt or something so you can get your Wis to AC as well or take a PRC that allows it.  Take extra rage so you can go bear form alot more times a day.  I would assume 5-7x a day of raging to turn into a bear is sufficient.

Im trying to do the whole Bear/grapple thing with my character though.

Tons of PRC's that kick butt and you dont need to be a monk to get it, just need Improved unarmed strike.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:28:02 AM »
Swordsage(Tome of Battle) will work for Wis to AC, also gets Maneuvers and given at least 6 previous classlevels even Sneak Attack(which might get you into even more PrC than Imp. Unarmed Strike).
If your DM allows for the Unarmed Variant Swordsage, it even saves you a feat, if he allows Arcane Swordsage he's gonna regret it :p