Author Topic: MY Neverending Dungeon attempt - Help me with Incarnum side, please.  (Read 1552 times)

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
As I mentioned in the VoP thread, I''d been tinkering with an idea for solo survivability, but with all the limits of the challenge itself, I''d decided that I''d try it first without magic. Magic would make it easy in my mind... Ah well, here goes!

Dragonborn(Heart) Changeling
Totemist 20 // Fighter 2/ Monk (Overwhelming Attack) 1/ Barbarian (Lion Totem) 1/ Warshaper 4/ Primeval (Megaraptor) 9/ Fist of the Forest 1/ Deepwarden 2

Progression:
[spoiler]1 - Totemist // Crusader - Racial Emulation, Endurance. Self Sufficient
2 - Totemist // Crusader -
3 - Totemist // Monk - Multiattack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack
4 - Totemist // Barbarian -
5 - Totemist // Warshaper -
6 - Totemist // Warshaper - Great Fortitude
7 - Totemist // Warshaper -
8 - Totemist // Warshaper -
9 - Totemist // Deepwarden - Double Chakra (Totem), Track
10 - Totemist // Primeval -
11 - Totemist // Deepwarden -
12 - Totemist // Fist of the Forest - Feat
13 - Totemist // Primeval -
14 - Totemist // Primeval -
15 - Totemist // Primeval - Feat
16 - Totemist // Primeval -
17 - Totemist // Primeval -
18 - Totemist // Primeval - Feat
19 - Totemist // Primeval -
20 - Totemist // Primeval - [/spoiler]

Feats:

Expand Soulmeld Capacity?
Steady Determination?
Cobalt Charge?
Mindsight (With Shedu Crown?)

Chakra Soulmelds:

Crown:
Feet:
Hands:
Arms: Girallon Arms
Brow:  
Shoulders:
Throat:
Waist:
Totem: Totem Avatar / Girallon Arms?

Shedu Crown?
Shadow Mantle?
Manticore Belt?
Dragon Mantle?
Blink Shirt?

Where I'd really like advice is:
- Chakras
  • Which are better?
  • Do they Even work while in Primeval form?
  • How does the Rageclaws Rend work exactly? Does it work every time 2 claws hit? Or once per round?
  • Am I even in the optimization ballpark?
- Feats
  • How do you feel about the ones I''ve got?
  • What should go in the empty spots?
- Items
  • Any build specific items? (i.e. not ""Belt of Magnificence")
  • Would Wilding clasps work for Primeval form? If not, are there any similar items that would?

Stats @20 Buffed:
[spoiler]STR - 17 - 52 - +21 (+10 Megaraptor, +3 Regression, +6 Feral Power +4 Warshaper +4 tome +4 Rage +6 Item = +35)
DEX - 11 - 24 - +7 (-2 DB, +4 Megaraptor, +3 Regression, +2 Feral Power +6 Item = +13)
CON - 17 - 60 - +25 (+5 Levels, +2 DB, +10 Megaraptor, +3 Regression, +4 Feral Power +4 Warshaper +5 tome +4 Rage = +43)
INT - 8  - 11 - +0 (-3 +6 Item = +3)
WIS - 11 - 20 - +5 (+3 +6 Item +9)
CHA - 8  - 11 - +0 (-3 +6 Item = +3)

HP: 12d10 + 5d8 + 3d12 + 20*25 = A fucking lot.
AC - 10 +6 (Megaraptor) +8 (Feral Power) +5 (Monk) +25 (Deepwarden) +25 (Fist of the Forest) = 79 naked.

As well as 2 talons, 2 foreclaws, and 1 bite before Soulmelds. Mmmmm... Martial Spirit...
[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance, gentiles.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:25:06 PM by emaNsdrawkcaB »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: MY Neverending Dungeon attempt - Help me with Incarnum side, please.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Why not just take crusader instead of fighter,  you are spending your two fighter feats on martial study and martial stance so you will lose nothing by going crusader and gain the ever useful damage absorption abilities and a recovery mechanism. You are not likely to reach a level at which you can take primeval given what I have seen from this game so do not waste the feats qualifying for it at low levels. You could always retrain the feats if you get close enough to the correct level, same for racial emulation for deepwarden.

Although dragonborn chameleon is still not a bad choice as you might get to pick up a few levels of warshaper. Pick up the breath weapon to help deal with swarms and give you a source of elemental damage. This frees up all of your first and second level  feats and makes you better overall as a character.

Also you do not qualify for warshaper at level 4 with that build due to how gestalt BAB progression works.

As for the incarnum side you have several options, at low levels landshark boots are spiffy and allow pouncing without the barbarian dip but are less relieable than the girallon arms. For manticore belt you are better off getting skirmish damage from scout levels.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
Why not just take crusader instead of fighter,  you are spending your two fighter feats on martial study and martial stance so you will lose nothing by going crusader and gain the ever useful damage absorption abilities and a recovery mechanism. You are not likely to reach a level at which you can take primeval given what I have seen from this game so do not waste the feats qualifying for it at low levels. You could always retrain the feats if you get close enough to the correct level, same for racial emulation for deepwarden.

I forgot to mention in the OP that I wouldn''t actually be attempting the  dungeon, just exercising my character building muscle. I had thought of taking Crusader, but wasn't sure the absorption would be worthwhile for very long, but I guess as you pointed out there's nothing to lose, and low level survivability.

Although dragonborn chameleon is still not a bad choice as you might get to pick up a few levels of warshaper. Pick up the breath weapon to help deal with swarms and give you a source of elemental damage. This frees up all of your first and second level  feats and makes you better overall as a character.

Yup, that was the plan, I'll edit the OP.

Also you do not qualify for warshaper at level 4 with that build due to how gestalt BAB progression works.

How exactly does it work? Don''t you take the better of both sides? If one side gains +1 BAB and the other doesn''t, don''t you take the +1? I thought that while the rules for Fractional BAB were right there amidst the gestalt rules, they were only a side bar.

As for the incarnum side you have several options, at low levels landshark boots are spiffy and allow pouncing without the barbarian dip but are less relieable than the girallon arms. For manticore belt you are better off getting skirmish damage from scout levels.

Yeah, definitely Landshark Boots to start, then later, I''d switch over to the Girallon Arms afterthe levels in Barbarian.
I wasn't planning on using the Manticore belt to gain anything other than flight.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
Replace fighter with human paragon 2.  With proper application of "heretic of the faith", and VoP, you'll gain a lot. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

redmane

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »
VoP is out, as is all BoED content.

For Totemist, Dragon Mantle (from Dragon Magic) is sweet. 3*E resistance to all elements helps a lot against traps and enemies with energy attacks, and totem meld gives flight.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »
Dragon Mantle will be added for the resistances, but, I''m pretty happy with my totem bind choices. But does anyone know whether the Rageclaw''s shoulder bind ability goes off every time 2 claws hit, or once per round? Also, whether the ability works with non meld related claws?

If not, my Dual Bind ability might be more worthwhile if I bind Totem Avatar to my shoulder slot as well, as it specifically states that it augments all natural attacks.

Yeah, VoP on this build would be killer. But apparently BoED is somehow less balanced than other books. Probably cause it's not core...

redmane

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
Also, don't forget the Blink Shirt - this one's useful even without any bind.

BTW, Blink Shirt + Dragonborn's Wings aspect = you can stay in the air all day long. Gliding descends you 5' per 20' traveled, then you blink 10' upwards. You might need good mobility in later levels, according to what veterans say...

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
There are a LOT of good Totemist soulmelds, Blink Shirt definitely being one of them. I''ll add it to the list.

Are there any more that are good without being bound? I feel like most soulmelds that are considered good are good when bound, and most often to the Totem chakra. I've been looking through MoI, but most need:

A) Maxed out essentia,
B) Be bound to a chakra,
C) A and B.

I need utility, and survivability; other than MoI and Dragon Magic, are there any books with soulmelds?