Author Topic: Black Company d20  (Read 4506 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Black Company d20
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »
I recently got my hands on a rulebook for the Black Company novel campaign setting. Holy crap! This is kinda cool....but so so incredibly complicated. Anybody have experience with this?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Black Company d20
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
I have the PDF of the book as well, got it in a huge package deal where the proceeds went to Haiti for the earthquake. I love the thoughts on some of the things they did but I haven't been able to fully evaluate it or have a game using its materials.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
Actually, the casting (now present in some sorcery true20 book) is quite cool, as well as combat modifications (for smaller and larger battles). I played it a bit and liked it more than typical dnd, although backgrounds and classes are disappointing. Each Black Company game master should read following topics: errata and FAQ.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
Actually, the casting (now present in some sorcery true20 book) is quite cool, as well as combat modifications (for smaller and larger battles). I played it a bit and liked it more than typical dnd, although backgrounds and classes are disappointing. Each Black Company game master should read following topics: errata and FAQ.
Thanks, if you skip to the last post of the thread there was a user that compiled all the stuff from that thread in .pdf form.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

SKRP

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
Thanks, if you skip to the last post of the thread there was a user that compiled all the stuff from that thread in .pdf form.

I never noticed that. This errata should be updated asap with such things like Inspire Confidence.

I found my old class fixes and deal level fillers for BC classes, maybe you will find it useful or interesting. No big changes, thought. I mostly use official WotC material form dead levels article and cityscape alternate class features. Some classes still sucks, but at least the weapon master is bit better. The material is HERE

shesheyan

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
Hell, read the first 10 books. Two trilogies and a quadrilogy. Is that a word?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
I'm in process of reading the books. I really like the dark fantasy thing. Ironically, the author lives about...3 minutes away from me.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
I'm in process of reading the books. I really like the dark fantasy thing. Ironically, the author lives about...3 minutes away from me.
*jealousy*
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

SKRP

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »

I you like BC, also try a Dread Empire series. It's closer to Black Company than Garret P.I., but sometimes disappointing. But the latter parts are fascinating.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
Only through the first trilogy, currently...  Need to order the second, but I'm not sure if I'll be at the same address in 6 weeks...

shesheyan

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »
Only through the first trilogy, currently...  Need to order the second, but I'm not sure if I'll be at the same address in 6 weeks...