Author Topic: Builds for the never-ending dungeon  (Read 6943 times)

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
Builds for the never-ending dungeon
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
So I was reading over redmane's thread and I cam up with some alternate build ideas.

So this is a thread for posting and critiquing builds for the neverending dungeon.

I'll start with my idea, an Warforged Shaper//Warblade factotum

Carnivore's more combat focused sugestion of warblade/shaper

redmane's Warlock//Bard

mixter's warblade/Spell to Power erudite

Dread Necromancer/Binder
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:43:50 PM by Catty Nebulart »
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Builds for the never-ending dungeon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Consider using Erudite instead of shaper, Consider using Spell To Power Erudite, so you can get your own healing spells.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »
Assuming what I hear is true, will this character be able to live through 20+ encounters without resting?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
Consider using Erudite instead of shaper, Consider using Spell To Power Erudite, so you can get your own healing spells.

Shaper get's repair construct as a 2'nd level power, 3d8+ML, no cap. so from 3'rd level on healing won't be a problem.

living constructs are still constructs.  :lol

Assuming what I hear is true, will this character be able to live through 20+ encounters without resting?

Aye there is the rub. Too few power points to manifest every encounter, so initially I'll be mostly relying on melee. hence the Warblade levels. I'm a little worried I'm too slow at low levels to do much :/ I'll post more build details soon.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
What level do you start at?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »

IIRC it's not no rest, it's very little. I don't know exactly how the levels work, but I think 1 level in the dungeon ~ 1 level up's worth of exp, and you get to rest after finishing one.

What level do you start at?

Level 1.

MalcolmSprye

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
Someone have a link?  I'd never heard of the neverending dungeon till last night, and I couldn't find rules or whatever on the GitPG site.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
I take it that Troll-Blooded is not allowed, right?

Which base classes give Fire/Acid resistance?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:51:24 PM »
Dragon mag is out.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:57:42 PM »
Dang.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
for maneuvers I'm thinking;
Hunters Sense
Sudden Leap
Moment of Perfect Mind
Steel Wind

Any thoughts? i also updated the first post with links.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »
i would suggest continuing to put Psion levels at the same time as Non-manifesting PrC levels... but i would loose the Factotum levels ...try this:

Dragonborn(Mind aspect) Warforged
Warblade 14/ Constructor 2/ Fighter 4// Psion 12/ Constructor 8

there should be no xp Penalties since Fighter is Fav Class for Warforged

this gives more than enought feats ... and still gets 9th lvl Manuvers and 9th lvl Powers .... also every Astral Construct is Quickened

:D

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
i would suggest continuing to put Psion levels at the same time as Non-manifesting PrC levels... but i would loose the Factotum levels ...try this:

I have the feeling I'll need trapfinding. And the 3'rd level ability to add into to str and dex will give is int to initiative, kinda important.

there should be no xp Penalties since Fighter is Fav Class for Warforged

multiclassing xp penalties are waived in any case.

this gives more than enought feats ... and still gets 9th lvl Manuvers and 9th lvl Powers .... also every Astral Construct is Quickened

Unfortuatly I'm more worried about surviving levels 1 and 2, since 1'st level is supposed to be really hard.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »
You need more renewable resources, that is one of the big challenges in that dungeon is running out of juice, and you will do that very rapidly as a psion. You might be better off using incarnum or binder to provide additional abilities. I saw a rather neat build for the dungeon on this site earlier that used share soulmeld with a sorcerer's familiar to effectively gain 2 sets of actions, then binding soulspark familiar to get even more buddies to help. It was apparantly very effective. 

redmane

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
I believe taking the same class on both sides of gestalt is not allowed - if you start it on one side, you keep taking it on the same side.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
You need more renewable resources, that is one of the big challenges in that dungeon is running out of juice, and you will do that very rapidly as a psion. You might be better off using incarnum or binder to provide additional abilities. I saw a rather neat build for the dungeon on this site earlier that used share soulmeld with a sorcerer's familiar to effectively gain 2 sets of actions, then binding soulspark familiar to get even more buddies to help. It was apparently very effective. 

A valid concern, I hope the warblade will get me through the early levels the psion is there largly for psionic repair, utility powers and emergencies.
Also since resting just has a high chance of generating an random encounter iirc and warforged don't sleep if I get desperate I might be able to rest. At later levels I might even be able to use some of the items that reduce rest time for recovery of spells/pp.

I believe taking the same class on both sides of gestalt is not allowed - if you start it on one side, you keep taking it on the same side.

WTF, I can't find any such rule. in fact the rules don't even mention sides or anything of that sort, just two classes, and you are not allowed to take two gestalt classes at the same time or dual progression classes. Anyway it's organized so that the manifester level progression is always on the right to help me keep to the 11'th commandment ('thou shalt not lose casterlevels.').

You can't take the same class twice at the same level (well technically you can, but since the abilities don't stack...) but I only take psion levels if that level of the PrC doesn't advance ML, so no problem there.

Can you find a quote to support your view?

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »
spliting post so that I can link to builds:

link to sheet
Current status: not sure about the Shaky flaw, I am slow and so might need ranged attacks. Two feats open, one flaw open.
Still deciding on maneuvers.

suggested stats before racial adjustments 14/8/16/18/8/8, if you want the harvy branch you'll need to spend more points on dex.

Warblade 1//Psion(Shaper) 1
Factotum 1//Shaper 2
Factotum 2//Shaper 3
Factotum 3//Shaper 4
Warblade 2//Shaper 5

three ideas for continuation
--- Skynet branch ---
Warforged Charger 1//Shaper 6
Warforged Charger 2//Shaper 7
Warforged Charger 3//Shaper 8
Warforged Charger 4//Shaper 9
Warforged Charger 5//Shaper 10
???

Lots of immunities, no lost bab, but few manuvers and skills.
For this take power attack & other combat feats early.

--- Bob the Builder branch ---
Warblade 3//Shaper 6
Warblade 4//Shaper 7
Constructor 1//Shaper 8
Warblade 5//Constructor 2
... continue on in this fashion till level 17.---

allies, but they are expensive to get and don't last long enough.
For this take overchanel and talented at 1'st level, astral construct is a 1'st level power and so no damage from overchaneling. This is mostly to extend the duration of your powers by a few rounds, but will also help with other level dependent effects (eg overcome power resistance)

--- Harvy the wonder squirel ---
Warblade 3//Elocater 1
Elocater 2//Shaper 6
Warblade 4//Elocater 3
Warblade 5//Elocater 4
Elocater 5//Shaper 7
Warblade 6//Elocater 6
Warblade 7//Elocater 7
???

More mobility, some neat powers more skill points, decent set of manuvers, ... not bad
The downside is the feats you burn to get spring attack.

Well what is the best branch, or are there any other sugestions?

Early levels are all about using minor creation to make poisons, at later levels fight as a warblade with psion more for utility (and astral construct).

I'm considering the Ectoscopic Form that allows tunneling, because digging tunnels always seems usefull in a dungeon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:00:53 PM by Catty Nebulart »

Bigwig

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Not sure if this is allowed:
Pick any undead progression class and cleric or use UMD with scroll of black sand, turn your first enemy (or critter) into permanent black sand and enjoy 1d4 fast healing.
OR
Poison Healing feat, any low dc repeatable poison save (bag with snakes/scorpions/spiders?)

Either one should be doable at first level, giving you repeatable healing, useful if facing 20 encounters daily.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
Pick any undead progression class and cleric or use UMD with scroll of black sand, turn your first enemy (or critter) into permanent black sand and enjoy 1d4 fast healing.

I'm fairly sure racial progression classes are banned, there is a mention of that in the OOC thread.

Poison Healing feat, any low dc repeatable poison save (bag with snakes/scorpions/spiders?)

Not usefull for a warforged unless poison immunity still lets you benefit from poison healing, though a good suggestion in general.