Author Topic: Overcoming crappy stats; Race inquiry!  (Read 6114 times)

Xaktsaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Overcoming crappy stats; Race inquiry!
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:52:43 AM »
Ugh.

I was finally talked out of my precious point-buy, and actually rolled my stats.

16, 14, 13, 13, 13, 11.

And I'm supposed to be the Cleric.

Ugh, exactly.

Basically, I'm looking for any races or combination of races + templates that are LA +0, AND gives +Wis and +Cha.

I can work around the negative stats, any ideas?

Oh, and no Dragon. DM will only let official hardcover books fly. :P
Kinda back, in a limited sense. Currently working on a decent sized "I'm back!" project.

Current Project Progress: 7% Completed.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Overcoming crappy stats; Race inquiry!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:00:51 AM »
Lesser Aasimar gives +2 Cha, +2 Wis....
That's the only one I can think of

Can't you rearrange the ability scores? I have never roleld stats and did not have the ability to customize the numbers to ability scores...
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:04:38 AM »
Aasimar with LA buyoff or the Player's Guide to Faerun lesser version (may or may not fly depending on your DM) are indeed very good.  May i reccomend a middle aged human? you have a lot of odd scores and making them even would be nice.  Perhaps combine the ideas for a middle aged Aasimar?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Xaktsaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »
Of course.

The 16 will be going into Wisdom, and 14 into Cha, but 16 wis for a primary divine caster is low, in my mind. :P

If you mean the +0 LA Aasimir on the Wizard site, I just checked, +2 CHA for 0 LA; that +2 Wis costs you a +1 LA.

Any more ideas?
Kinda back, in a limited sense. Currently working on a decent sized "I'm back!" project.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:12:58 AM »
If you mean the +0 LA Aasimir on the Wizard site, I just checked, +2 CHA for 0 LA; that +2 Wis costs you a +1 LA.

Any more ideas?
The above posters are referring to the "Lesser Planetouched" variant found at the end of the Player's Guide to Faerun (p. 191 specifically). They lose the outsider type and the level adjustment.  Frankly,  a great bargain.  Your DM might not let it fly, but it'd be nice.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:13:28 AM »
Of course.

The 16 will be going into Wisdom, and 14 into Cha, but 16 wis for a primary divine caster is low, in my mind. :P
I don't think 16 is that low IMO, of course there have been better scores, but 16 is respectable  :)

No I mean the normal Aasimar made lesser by the rules in the Players Guido to Faerun. This basically gives the aasimar the Human and Outsider subtypes and doesn't change anything else.... So it is made of pure win. check with you DM though NInja'd
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
16, 14, 13, 13, 13, 11.

Those are great stats.

Middle Aged Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar: -1 str -3 dex +1 con +1 int +3 wis +3 cha

11/13/13/13/16/14

becomes after the adjustments:

10/10/14/14/19/17
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
First, that's a 34 point buy (10+6+5+5+5+3 = 34), so I don't really see what's the problem. Anyways, I second Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar (Dragonborn is in Races of the Dragon; get tons of handy stuff (I suggest 'Heart' for Darkvision, Immunities and so on), lose all normal race abilities, but retain ability adjustment, get -2 Dex, +2 Cha, LA +0 Template). +2 Con, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Dex sounds just right for the character, and the more Middle Aged, the better. In short, listen to Dictum Mortuum, he knows what he's talking of.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »
Then again, all 14s is a 36 PB, so the point buy itself might not tell anything though I agree he's got some good stats there.

Handy Links

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
Yeah, those are  some good stats

But if you really think those stats suck why not be a druid instead? You can have a similiar role as the cleric and that way you can put your worst stats in str and dex and get them boosted when you wildshape.

Middle-aged dragonborn gnome

Str 11 -1 -2 = 8
Dex 13 -1 -2 = 10
Con 13 -1 +2 +2 = 16
Int 13 +1 = 14
Wis 16 +1 = 17
Cha 14 +1 = 15

Xaktsaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »
Heh, you guys are getting ahead of me, I had actually planned to make him a Dragonborn, so it all works out.

As for crappy stats, yes, I admit, it works out to 34 pt. buy, but it's quite spread out, a lot more then I'm used to, and since I'm going to be 2 stat focuses, I felt it was groan worthy.

13 Int is great, but when you only have a 14 in your second most important stat, you tend to begining getting creative. :P

Thanks for the help.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
Look, a cleric needs Wis and Con. A DMM cleric needs a bit of Cha. Where is the problem? Your stats are not superb, but certainly not terrible.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
You call those crappy?

You should have seen some of my rolls. 16, 15, 14, 11, 9, 7 sound good for you?  :lol

Which reminds me...

Look, a cleric needs Wis and Con. A DMM cleric needs a bit of Cha.

Exactly what role as a cleric are you supposed to be filling in here? There's the Cleric band-aid, there's C-Zilla, there's God's upstaging son...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »
I have much worse rolled down the line by my DM before I chose a class, he also chose our races for us not based upon classes, just at random, i have a Mountain Orc Rogue with starting with racial adjustments 20(STR) 15(Dex) 14(Con) 12(Int) 5(Wis) 5(Cha), I call him Thrask the Mighty(Champion of Arborea), he sneak attacks with a Greataxe and is alot of fun to play and RPing a 5 Wisdom adds some hilarity whenever I can.
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 04:17:46 AM »

Exactly what role as a cleric are you supposed to be filling in here? There's the Cleric band-aid, there's C-Zilla, there's God's upstaging son...

ANY role? There are two exceptions:

The archer cleric, which needs Dex to survive the first two levels until he can take Zen Archery.

The combat-turning cleric, who wants to have more Cha.

Any other cleric casts spells and hits things, for which you need Wis and Con. The need for Cha is only the need for Turn Attempts. (And taking Extra Turning once will usually net you your first persistent spell.)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »
ANY role? There are two exceptions:

The archer cleric, which needs Dex to survive the first two levels until he can take Zen Archery.

The combat-turning cleric, who wants to have more Cha.

Any other cleric casts spells and hits things, for which you need Wis and Con. The need for Cha is only the need for Turn Attempts. (And taking Extra Turning once will usually net you your first persistent spell.)

Even if you can fulfill any role, you can't hope to do them all at once and do it well. Don't you have any BSFs in your party?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
There's no such role as the Cleric "band-aid". If you're playing a "band-aid" you're not really playing a cleric. :P  And yes, you can fulfill multiple roles with your cleric at the same time.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »
I'm going to mini-hijack Xak's thread since I'm in the same game as him. We're starting at level 1 and playing through Expedition to Undermountain which I believe ends at level 10, though we might continue with another campaign afterwards.

We currently have:
h-orc barbarian - total D&D newbie, happy being the meatshield who solves all problems by hitting things, rolled the best stats out of all of us
halfling wizard (generalist I think) - relative newbie, wants to be a necro but we left him as a generalist in case he changes his mind later on

Xak is likely picking up the cleric role, and I'm fiddling over far too many ideas. Here are a couple I'm considering:
1) H-elf diplomancer - we need a face and skills guy, and this would certainly do it
2) Warforged MoMF Juggernaut - random beatstick
3) totemist 2/cleric 3/landforged walker 5/sapphire hierarch 10 - start as beatstick, move onto secondary divine later on

I don't remember my stats offhand, but I rolled very well (something like a 40 pt buy, but my highest was a 16). My rolled stats were 16 15 14 14 13 13. The focus for this game is obviously for the earlier levels (1-10), and we don't want to overshadow the new guys. Hitting, healing, and magic are covered. That leaves skills and miscellany (who needs a rogue anyways? We told the barbarian to put his 18 into Con for a reason :))

Also a consideration for me is that my schedule is very hectic, which means I might not be able to make it to games as consistently as I would like. That makes me think I should lean into more of a support and secondary role. The diplomancer build fills in our skills gap and will buff everyone, but it isn't exactly the most exciting build to play (on paper anyways). I'm also kind of interested in psionics since I've never tried it before, but don't even know where to start with that (although Ardent looks nice... thinking of Ardent/Psion Uncarnate for fun).

Any thoughts? I'm open to just about anything.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:09:34 PM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »
Ignoring the semi-hijacking of the thread for a moment... Do you really need a face in Undermountain? Somehow the words "Undermountain" sound, to me, like "big, scary maze filled with bloodthirsty monsters", but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, support sounds like a good idea for your character; I'd suggest a Bard, myself (but then again, I like Bards, so I'm biased). This could cover both the face role AND support, and it's actually quite survivable at low levels (provided you know what you're doing).

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
Ignoring the semi-hijacking of the thread for a moment... Do you really need a face in Undermountain? Somehow the words "Undermountain" sound, to me, like "big, scary maze filled with bloodthirsty monsters", but I could be wrong.

There is always time for RP, and various non-combat encounters.
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion