Author Topic: I need a Tank!  (Read 5625 times)

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
I need a Tank!
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »
Looking for a durable tank, high AC and hitpoints. No templates, 5th level, 36 point buy. Any book is allowed but it must be good aligned.

Anybody got something like this tucked away in the back of their mind?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: I need a Tank!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »
Elan Binder 5. Bind Dahlver Nar. You now have DR 50%/-, a boost to Natural AC, and a boost in hit points. Plus, you can burn PP for temporary boosts to saves or temporary DR (for 1 attack)

Feats:
Goad
Acheron Flurry
Some stuff to boost PP (have a psion in your party?)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »
Is dragon mag material allowed, or not?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
Personally, I'd go with a Crusader from Tome of Battle. Sit in Thicket of Blades stance and trip anyone who gets near you.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »
Warforged Ardent 5 with astral construct. When manifesting the power, shape it to look like a tank that surrounds you. Leave some small holes for you to fire some energy missiles from and relax inside an actual tank.

urarenge

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:37 AM »
If you want a tank, a fighter chain tripper or a crusader with thiket of blades is the best

If you want high AC and hit points... maybe a cleric?? Cleric spells can give a good amount of AC

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:03:47 AM »
Hood.  Pick one.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Nameless Void

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Amechra: Is Dahlver Nar in the Tome of Magic?

The_Mad_Linguist: Sorry no Dragon Mag is not allowed.

Generic_PC: Interesting.. Will look into it.

dark_samuari: Ahahaha you took the title literally! Kudos!

Endarire: Won't a Hood be a little high in levels?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
Do the Crusader.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
Landlord feat + Lyre of Building.  Best tank in the game if you expand on that.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
Yep.

3 levels later, and you get FH 1, with 1d8+5 HP regained every 5 rounds.

Oh, and I must really insist on Acheron Flurry. The basic effect is, as long as you have dealt damage to some enemy using your fists that encounter, you can just stand next to them and use your standard action to effectively cast Daze on them. As an ex ability. With no save. That you can spam all. battle. long.

Basically, if you are allowed to, do the Magic Training+Versatile Spellcaster trick to grab yourself Alter Self 1/day. Choker form is nice, I've heard.  :D
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »
Incarnate with Shape Soulmeld: Winter Mask and Expanded Soulmeld Capacity.  Vitality belt gives you 15 extra HP right off the bat and since your Key stats is CON, you'll have good HP to start with. 

Eventually, you'll want tp pick up martial spirit, which makes for excellent self healing with Therapeutic Mantle.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

strider24seven

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:46:08 AM »
Basically, if you are allowed to, do the Magic Training+Versatile Spellcaster trick to grab yourself Alter Self 1/day. Choker form is nice, I've heard.  :D

Actually, choker is a pretty sub-par form.  You don't get Quickness with Alter Self, so all you get are the stats and small size.  If you can take Aberration forms, there are better forms than a choker. 

Seriously, though, if you want a tank, a lock-down build will serve you better than an HP-soak.  With a Crusader, though, you don't need to choose.  Just be a Crusader.  Or a Warforged Crusader, if you want to tank all day and all night.  Nothing says "F*** You" to the enemy like slapping them and healing yourself.  Or by keeping them from moving.  Just take Stone Power and go to town. 

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
A Hood as a tank can work, but I don't know your starting ECL.  Starting around level 5, you have enough to 'tank' a few hits.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 06:23:27 AM »
here ya go  :D

http://www.amazon.com/JL421-Badonkadonk-Land-Cruiser-Tank/dp/B00067F1CE

reminds me more of a jawa sandcrawler than a tank tho...
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »

Oh, mod the reviews are hilareeous
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »

Oh, mod the reviews are hilareeous

Yes, they are.

Obviously, the best tank is either Iron Tager or Unlimited Hakumen. Wait, wrong game. +1 to Crusader then, and buy some magnets.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
lol i know its hilarious, i like the 2nd comment. talking about his 6 horse power fire breathin engine lol
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
I suggest you go with a Lizard Folk.  They get a +1 LA 2d8 HD, which gives you 2 levels to expand on.  Grab 2 levels of Barbarian.  D12 HD, +2 str and con boost, Swim underwater, YAY! for swamps!! :).  They also get I believe a +6 Natural armor.  Best armor a barbarian can have without the use of heavy armor is Mithril Full plate.

+6 NA, +9 AC, +5 Dex armor bonus (IF! I remember correctly.  Yeah for a 5th level character thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

Thats a +20 AC all together, if I remember correctly, but dont hold me to it as I am going off my memory which hasnt been all to good lately.  +10 Base.  OR! if you wish, grab 2 levels of fighter instead of barbarian, grab a shield and that will boost your AC over 30+ without magic items, you got the AC, you look nasty as well.

OR!........Warforged Fighter 5, Warforged Juggernaught 5/XXX10, if you are allowed eberron races and such.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 01:33:48 AM »
Why not a Crusader with a dip in Incarnate? Shape Belt of Vitality and Therapeutic Mantle.