Author Topic: Today's Crunchy Bit  (Read 1415 times)

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
Today's Crunchy Bit
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »
Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams gives us on page 64 (or 15, if your reader can't pick that up) two rather bad magic items.  The amulet would be good if this were 3.5 and you could buy as much as you wanted, but outside of that meh.  The hammer is COOL AS FUCK but mechanically weak.

All in all: weaksauce.  But then, it IS Dungeon.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Today's Crunchy Bit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »
I strongly disagree.

Dreamstone Amulet gives a very nice bonus that at least 1 party member should have, and if they can negate invisibility then all the better.

The Dreamstone Weapon is not only decent on it's own, it's only 1 level higher than a simple +3/+4/+5/+6 weapon for it's secondary effect, but it actually has a really good secondary effect.  Attacking Fort/Ref/Will with a Weapon gives you an advantage already, but if you include an ability like Terrifying Insight from the Divine Oracle path, it gets downright brutal.

1/day make an attack hit?  Yes, please.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:28:12 AM »
I still disagree about the hammer, but I missed the Blindsight bit.  I THOUGHT it looked underpowered...
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »
Small nitpick: in some cases Fort is actually higher than AC (for Brutes it's on average 0.86 higher ; for all other categories it's lower on average). But Will is almost always lower (on average) so that doesn't diminish the value of the weapon's power.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson