Author Topic: A New Edition of Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 8742 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: A New Edition of Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
I like that you simplified the TWF tree into a single feat.  It still suffers a lot of the basic problems of TWF in general, but maybe that's your intent.  Basically, this is a must-have for melee rogues, an interesting option for rangers, and a trap for anyone else.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
I like that you simplified the TWF tree into a single feat.  It still suffers a lot of the basic problems of TWF in general, but maybe that's your intent.  Basically, this is a must-have for melee rogues, an interesting option for rangers, and a trap for anyone else.

fighters will be okay as well.  dont forget they can have 2 signature weapons after level 7 so they might only get a +4/5 bonus with each but they get all of the bonus for both.  but yes two weapon combat is suppossed to be have its issues. mostly on the defense side.  i hope what i have done is a good balance towards the added offense without making it neglagable or over the top

ron

ps my groups play testing starts tomorow i have 2 vetrans with about 15 years of playing apiece and 2 little more than rookies. so this should be a good test of how easy the new stuff is to grasp and if its over powered rather quickly

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
You're right about the fighters being better at it then before.  Good luck with the testing!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
So the first session went well for a total character creation session

the party will be
human - Rogue/Bard
Human Rogue/Sorcerer
Elf - Ranger/Paladin
Human - Fighter

should be interesting and so far everyone seems very excited about the changes

in 2 weeks the game will start and i will let everyone know more

ron

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
What level are you starting at?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »
What level are you starting at?

first level.  but i have everyones current plan. 

im thinking of getting them to 3rd-4th level rather quick then backing off on the pace from 5-10/12th range

not sure how i will handle the higher levels yet but time will tell with the lack of pure magical fire power/support

ron

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
So in setting up the campaign i am at a cross roads.  that being half this party may not be very good against an optimized BBEG.  and the two i have been thinking of is a Divine Minion/Master of Many Forms/ Suel Arcanamach
 or a pure Wizard.   Ive been taking notes to rework some of the Prcs so if some one decides they wan one i can have it ready to go quickly.

what do you guys think will be the better challange for this party (closer to them reaching 15-20th level)

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
so the first two combats happened tonite and went smoothly.  The Spike Chain Fighter tripped well and the CM system seems to be quickly growing on people as they use it.  the ranger and his wolf were able to move about and were great spot hitters when they had room taking things down nicely.  and the rogues who both got hit for were happy at the higher hit points and both enjoyed being able to hit easly at first. 

all in all at low levels things flowed nicely so far.  the melee heavy group did okay.  and one of the rogues is starting to go up in bard now so i will see how that works out. 

all in all a fun session and will have more info going up over the next few days as i have some things worked out and almost ready to be typed up.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
just a late update and small bump.

had are first casualty at the last session the fighter due to poor tactics and a lucky roll got taken out by another fighter (orc with a greatsword).

the encounter was:
orc fighter level 2
orc bard level 1
half orc druid level 1

the ranger and for some reason his animal companion stayed in the back with the ranger shuffeling around keeping his wolf near him using ranged attacks as the enemies closed in for a round.  both ended up being taken out of the fight due to grease and poor rolls for getting out of the area.
both the PC rangers moved to get to adventagous positions and the fighter moved up slightly and just waited he didnt ready an action or anything.

second round orc fighter is in range to charge so he uses tackle on the figter easily winning the check after the missed AoO due to movement bonuses.  the opposing druid went down in the first round to the rangers attack and skirmish damage. 
the bard then greased the area near one of the PC rogues and the ranger and his companion getting 2 of the 3 in the area.  but making the rogue move further away from melee with his fighter.  both the wolf and the ranger end up on the ground. 
fighter tries to stand up and gets wacked for most of his hit points.  attacks instead of tripping the orc fighter and ends up missing.  a rogue charges the fighter hopping to get enough damage to save the fighter.  he hits but doesnt drop the fighter.  PC rogue uses a wand of infinite cure light wounds on PC fighter for some help and ranger and wolf attempt to stand up.

PC fighter gets attacked again and gets dropped to -9 hit points.  doesnt stabalize and dies nextt round.  the rogues kill the fighter and the bard greases the ranger and wolf again as they stand up and get out of the old grease area.  next round the bard ends up surrounded and the sneak attack takes him out in a hit or 2.

the fighter is a newer player and after the combat was over we showed him some better tactics and where his mistakes were.  and also encouraged the ranger to send his wolf into melee instead of holding him back with him to help out even if hes going to be using ranged attacks instead of melee. 

the PC fighter is now a Cleric and we will see what happens durring this thursdays game.

thanks again to anyone following this

Ron

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
Hopefully he learned about readying actions and not waiting idly in his opponent's charge lanes. ;)
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »
Hopefully he learned about readying actions and not waiting idly in his opponent's charge lanes. ;)

he did.  and the player of the ranger is also going to try to use his AC in melee even if hes hanging back taking shots with his bow.  i was just teasing the player of the fighter about trying to not kill him this week.  he had a good laugh at it. 
the one thing i am trying to remember to do with both new players while DMing is to make sure options are clear and and they understand what choices they have without running the character for them.  partly so they learn and partly so i dont have to make combat for the experienced players to easy/repetive. 

the side note everyone is thinking of taking tackle as there first CM if they play a fighter now and retraining it at a later point.  hope i didnt make it seem like to good of an offensive option for low level.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:09 PM »
Great session this week,  let the pary feel good by letting them kill some mook kobolds.  then had a good challange with a pair of ogres. 

but the real challange of the day was the fight against a 4th level sorcerer   2nd level fighter,barbain,monk 

the party showed better tactics as a whole even though most of them were blinded by glitterdust in the surprise round. 

but the veterans helped the rookies stay composed and helped with the actions they could do.  the ranger dropped into the negatives but was stablized.  and they ended up winning day out.  everyone enjoyed the battles and liked the fact that they were challanged at the end.

wanting to get out of the one lucky roll kills a PC so i took them up to base 5th level except for the cleric who was replacing the fighter hes at 4th till the end of next session

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
so we have had a few sessions since my last post and had one casualty due to a pair of lucky shots on the ranger in a very good yet balanced fight. 

and the player of the ranger decided to play a Druid after having a Druid due some impressive BC and Melee damage in a fight against them.
saying that i learned something very important a Druid as i have them written is alot easier to screwup than a standard 3.5 druid.  part of that may be the few blasty type spells on the list and a player who over estimates damage still but we will see if after a few pointers he does better