Author Topic: Warforged Non-Caster Low Level Buffs  (Read 1542 times)

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Warforged Non-Caster Low Level Buffs
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
So I've been playing around with a Warforged Barbarian for a while now (without any support, mind you; arena) and thinking what Potions/Psionic Tattoos would be worth it on low levels? So far I've got the obvious: Psionic Tattoo of Expansion. Level 2 should offer something interesting too, but I haven't figured out what; Lesser Construct Essence probably but beyond that... Also, Stone Fists, but meh, beyond that. Any tips?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Warforged Non-Caster Low Level Buffs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:10:12 PM »
Potions are almost always never worth it.

Arena style fighting eh? Daily stuff might be good for you if your only fighting once a day.
Healing Belt (MiC, 750gp) can heal 4d8 (aka full life till like level 3) once per day without the need for UMD ranks.

Pick up some Marbles (A&E), their like a mundane grease spell for 5sp. Toss them out after your charge and if they make their reflex, you'll either make up the lost attack with their AoO for walking away  or you'll get to hammer then next turn :)

Around level five or so pick up the Counterstrike Bracers (MiC) for a 2/day attack when a foe misses you. Their pretty handy and in one on one, the meleer hitting with more attacks than the other guy wins.

Do not buy a +2 weapon as soon as you can, buy a +1 Berseker (UE) instead. It ups the effective enchantment by two while raging.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Warforged Non-Caster Low Level Buffs
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
Perhaps I should explain the associated 'why's too. The booklist is notably limited and GP and exp gain are very fast making one-shot items far more valuable (MiC isn't on the list, unfortunately, and neither is A&E Guide - didn't think this is relevant since Potions are made of spells). First level is generally 2-3 combats and we get wealth by WBL, so effectively on level 2, we have 1000 GP and perhaps 4-5 fights before level 3. That means it's easily doable to spend 200 on 50gp level 1 consumables for each fight without severely hampering oneself. Since permanent items of the same effects tend to cost far more than there are probably ever going to be fights, one-shots are really handy, especially on level 1 (the said Psionic Tattoos of Expansion). Also, it gives me the option to size up the opposition and decide how strong effects I need to win.

Basically, I know Potions aren't really good in normal gameplay, but this is anything but and potions really tend to be worth using in this system (not healing, of course; healing potions are worthless - I'm just not gonna heal at all since Healing Belt ain't available, I won't have UMD with 6 Charisma crossclass UMD and Out Of Combat-healing is free). I'm just looking for the potions that give me most bang for the buck; Expansion is awesome since I'll be doing Grappling (yet again another thing that's much more valuable in 1v1 low level setting than normal campaigns) and being large is very useful for that.

Available books with spells:
Core 3.5, CA, SpC, CD, Races of Eberron, Manual of the Planes 3.5 Update, Deities & Demigods 3.5 Update, Savage Species 3.5 Update, Libris Mortis
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:21:53 PM by Eldariel »