Author Topic: A scoring template for PvP play  (Read 684 times)

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
A scoring template for PvP play
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »
At Gencon 2010, I ran a D&D 4E game called "Freedom By Any Means". The PCs were struck in a Thunderdome-esque battle pit where they competed for victory points. The top two competitors who had the most victory points were freed from Thunderdome; the remaining had to slog through another year of combats (and probably wouldn't survive).

Victory Points List

+1d20Bloody/Kill/Knock Out a Solo Monster
+1d10Bloody/Kill/Knock Out an Elite Monster
+1d10Revive an unconscious competitor (PC)
+1d8Bloody/Kill/Knock Out a Normal Monster
+1d6Start your turn on an elevated platform
+1d6Wow the crowd (Roll a Natural 20)
+1d6Kill/Knock Out a White Collar Criminal
+1Have a found magic item at the start of turn
+1Make the crowd laugh; Roll a Natural 1
+1Take a dive; You become unconscious
+1Kill a Minion
Reset to ZERO     Kill a Competitor (PC); Your points are reset to ZERO.

I wanted to come up with a victory point list that discouraged direct PC to PC attacks. That's why the last one is there. But, as the gameplay progresses, I change the rules up a bit. I was able to get through three battles in the 4 hours, and in the last one the "gloves come off" and you do not have to worry about the point loss for killing competitors.

For the "platorm" bit, there were floating platforms that you could get on top of; being up there allowed you combat advantage on those below you.

It was fun... but I'd love to make it even more fun. Anyone got any fun ideas to add to the list?

This was played up as D&D 4E.... I could see the Conflict RPG (Pathfinder PvP) also possibly working as well.

MilwaukeeJoe