Author Topic: Need help building a theme character and a theme monster... Craaazzzyy themes...  (Read 1915 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Okay guys, I need some help!  First, I want to try and build a character with a particular theme, at ECL 20, using the rules that players have access to.  Then I want to build a monster using the same theme, but instead building it to a CR 20 creature, using base monsters, templates, advancement, and the rules that the DM has access to for building monsters.

Here's the theme for the Character:

This character spends his life studying to harness the reality through focusing on Geometry, Location, Mathematics, higher dimensional spaces, teleportation, location, bending and folding space, creatures that live in higher dimensional locations, visiting them, trying to polymorph or become one, etc.  I'm thinking something that starts out as an Aberration (Elan?), and doing something Psionic, or maybe going Wizard and doing Alienist/Geometer, maybe Fatespinner.  He probably wants to find and maybe merge with his monster counterpart, and having an ability to do so that gives him all the abilities and insights of his counterpart would be great...

Here's the theme for the monster version:

This creature is an angel (demon? fiend? worker?) of a god that focuses on N-dimensional reality, location, teleportation, geometry, etc. It's probably not an Outsider, it's probably an Aberration, though.  If it is an Outsider, it is very, very, very, alien.  It is most definitely some kind of aberration with a large amount of spellcasting, it is displaced in space from where you expect it to be, it menaces with black spikes that are actually the three dimensional shadows of four (spatial) dimensional parts of it's body.  MAJOR types of magic are required to reliably hit it, because it is totally not even in the same planar reality as most characters, even when it appears to be 'right there'.  It can teleport and plane shift and do very similar things quite reliably, being essentially an avatar of the concepts of 'movement, geometry, location'.  It is absurdly intelligent, but a savant -- it doesn't understand mortal concerns at all, and has difficulty limiting itself to the point of view of things that 'merely' see things in three spatial dimensions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do these?
BG's other resident furry!

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
Is there some reason conjurations and the polymorph line on a wizard won't do the job on their own?
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
TML, can you confirm my suspicions that a sharn would do nicely as the monster version?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
TML, can you confirm my suspicions that a sharn would do nicely as the monster version?
Yeah, this seems about a perfect fit.  The default sharn flavor is even that they're sentient bubbles extending from a universe of pure chaos.  regeneration/lawful, evasion, spell resistance, energy resistance cover the "hard to hit with magic".  The hex portals work for control of space, and extra actions cover the control of time.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Is there some reason conjurations and the polymorph line on a wizard won't do the job on their own?

I'd like a bit more mechanical crunch to follow the focus of the character other than just 'wizard'.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
Heroes of Horror's archivist is a very "forbidden knowledge" kind of caster - and with the ability to draw from the entirety of divine spells, it should be relatively easy to find thematically appropriate ones.  There might be a PrC in Lords of Madness that might be appropriate, also.  It depends on how "alien" you want to get.  Are we talking Lovecraftian impossible geometries and inscrutable elder things?  Or is your target more towards a Star-Trek-esque exploration of the unknown?
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Mixster

• Grape ape
A spell to power Erudite would be able to exchange forms with the monster and then eat his earlier body, thus being "one".

Just use True Mind Switch to get into the body.

He would also be able to use polymorph, tentacles, celerity, and other funness to kick the behind of any monster of appropriate CR.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Lovecraftian impossible geometries is a basic key theme here...

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
Psionics have the usual time abusing shenanigans, of course. I haven't looked at Hyperconcious in a long time, but there is the Chronorebel PrC in there for more time related abilities.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
The fluff behind Sublime Chord is kinda similar to your concept, I think.  At least in part.