Author Topic: The Fibonacci Fighter  (Read 3665 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
The Fibonacci Fighter
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
Random thought that came to mind. We all know about "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards", the issue being that each level of a class like fighter grants the same increase in power, while each level of wizard grants benefits greater than the one before it.

So what if fighters (or other full-BAB characters for that matter) became geometric?

A BAB progression using the Fibonacci sequence would go:
+0
+1
+1
+2
+3
+5
+8
+13
+21
+34
+55
+89
+144

etc.

Maybe tone it down a bit. Levels 1-5 in a full BAB class you add +1BAB per level. Levels 6-10 you add +2BAB. Levels 11-15 you add +3BAB. Levels 16-20 you add +5BAB. So...
EDIT: Added fighter feats progression
1 +1BAB (feat)
2 +2BAB (feat)
3 +3BAB (feat)
4 +4BAB (feat)
5 +5BAB (feat)
6 +7BAB (2 feats)
7 +9BAB (2 feats)
8 +11BAB (2 feats)
9 +13BAB (2 feats)
10 +15BAB (2 feats)
11 +18BAB (3 feats)
12 +21BAB (3 feats)
13 +24BAB (3 feats)
14 +27BAB (3 feats)
15 +30BAB (3 feats)
16 +35BAB (5 feats)
17 +40BAB (5 feats)
18 +45BAB (5 feats)
19 +50BAB (5 feats)
20 +55BAB (5 feats)

This is an incomplete idea which needs something to do with all that BAB. I'm just posting it in case it inspires anyone.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:09:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: The Fibonacci Fighter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
Are fighters still restricted to hitting things in the face with a pointy bit of metal?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Are fighters still restricted to hitting things in the face with a pointy bit of metal?
Yes, but now it's a geometric bit of metal. :P

Like I said, this is hardly a "fix" for the power discrepancies in D&D.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »
It doesn't seem to do anything beyond complicating things.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »
True, but if I leave all my ideas in my head too long they start to stink up the place. :p
My work

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
'your attack land, you do 2d4 +2x str + somesuch for a total of 50 points of damage'
'the wizard who was standing several yards infront of you waves his hand, you see three very large human looking males in front of you, make a roll to see if you recognize what titans look like.'

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
'your attack land, you do 2d4 +2x str + somesuch for a total of 50 points of damage'
'the wizard who was standing several yards infront of you waves his hand, you see three very large human looking males in front of you, make a roll to see if you recognize what titans look like.'
Tell me, if you could play an lv20 fighter with +55BAB and 55 bonus feats from any list (including stuff like Shape Soulmeld), would you?
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Tell me, if you could play an lv20 fighter with +55BAB and 55 bonus feats from any list (including stuff like Shape Soulmeld), would you?
If the alternative was a Wizard, or something interesting like a Binder? No. :p

I suppose it would make a decent meldshaper, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
i probably would, but i frequently make npc class characters... so, its just something else that isnt a wizard...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »
'the wizard who was standing several yards infront of you waves his hand, you see three very large human looking males in front of you, make a roll to see if you recognize what titans look like.' Cloca time is.

FTFY.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »
This reminds me of a sub-header Frank wrote on the Failure of Feats : "How about instead of being able to travel anywhere in the multiverse, transform yourself into anything you can think of, stop time, and slay everyone you can see, we just give a nice +1 to hit with your secondary weapon? Deal?"

Really, all eleventy-billion BAB and a bunch of feats do is fuck up the RNG even worse.  So, now the fighter just auto-hits with 11 attacks a round.  It doesn't really matter.  Dealing damage was never the fighter's short coming to begin with.  Unless some of those 55 feats are things like "stop time", or "summon solar", or "fly", "teleport", or "dimensional anchor", I don't think it really changes anything.  Other than the bookkeeping.  This is more bookkeeping.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
This reminds me of a sub-header Frank wrote on the Failure of Feats : "How about instead of being able to travel anywhere in the multiverse, transform yourself into anything you can think of, stop time, and slay everyone you can see, we just give a nice +1 to hit with your secondary weapon? Deal?"

Really, all eleventy-billion BAB and a bunch of feats do is fuck up the RNG even worse.  So, now the fighter just auto-hits with 11 attacks a round.  It doesn't really matter.  Dealing damage was never the fighter's short coming to begin with.  Unless some of those 55 feats are things like "stop time", or "summon solar", or "fly", "teleport", or "dimensional anchor", I don't think it really changes anything.  Other than the bookkeeping.  This is more bookkeeping.

We should totally let Fibonacci fighters spend their feats to get spells and actual class features.

Or we could, you know, play campaigns at reasonable starting and ending levels, so that everyone has fun and we never have to worry about the game-breaking abilities.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
Or we could use Warblades.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
Or we could use Warblades.
Thought experiment here:

1) Lift the limit on times you can take Martial Stance and Martial Study.

2) Give fighters the aforementioned 55 feats (BaB can stay at 20 for all I care) and an IL equal to their class level.

3) ???

4) Profit? Maybe? I don't know. No recovery mechanic, but even pumping half your feats into Martial Study and Stance gives you more than the Warblade has, plus all your other crap.

Thoughts?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »
Fibonacci Fighter > Warblade

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:04 AM »
Wouldn't the first progression result in over 100 attacks and PA numbers in the thousands?

Hell, uncap Stone Power and watch that Temp HP soar!
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:22 AM »
Wouldn't the first progression result in over 100 attacks and PA numbers in the thousands?

Hell, uncap Stone Power and watch that Temp HP soar!

Iterative attacks cap at 4. It's why extra attack sources are rated so highly for melee builds (especially if the base has less than full BAB).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
Regardless, it's still just an issue of bigger numbers.  That's never been the fighter's weak point.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
Like others have said this doesn't address the issues the fighter has. Now the fighter is a Tier 4 class instead of a tier 5 but that's about it.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
If this is Tier 4, then Tome of Battle didn't help balance things at all. Not that I disagree.

Perhaps the solution to lacking these awesome abilities is Leadership. If you let players actually use this feat and choose their cohorts, suddenly every class gets closer in terms of power. [Though it can be somewhat sad if your cohort is more powerful than your actual character.]