Author Topic: Help with Assassin Build  (Read 6134 times)

xipetotec

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Help with Assassin Build
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:38:04 AM »
Hey guys, I just started a new campaign with a few friends and we needed a "rogue" character and after reading through all the classes, the assassin sounded like it could be a lot of fun and had some interesting options, so I decided to go with it.  In any case, we just started and things seem to be going well so far and we're all about to hit level 2, however, I want to make sure I'm maximizing my damage capabilities since I'm the parties main striker.  I was hoping I could post on the forums and maybe I could get some ideas on where to go with my character in the future.  I know there aren't a lot of direct options available to assassin's yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of things out there that I'm not seeing or thinking about.  Here's the build I have right now:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Yogg, level 1
Changeling, Assassin
Build: Bleak Disciple Assassin
Guild Training: Bleak Disciple
Background: Driven into Hiding (+2 to Bluff)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 13
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Streetwise +6, Bluff +10, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana -1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, History -1, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Nature, Religion -1, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Hidden Insight

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Leaping Shade
Assassin encounter 1: Smothering Shadow
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Ki Focus, Greatsword, Scimitar, Longsword
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

When I hit level 2, I'm going to get rid of all my current weapons and my DM agreed to give me a Bloodclaw Fullblade as a quest reward for our current adventure, so I'll take a feat for proficiency with Fullblades at level 2 and most likely get the Brutal Shroud feat at level 4. 

As for Paragon Path, I'm still pretty undecided... most likely a toss up between going with Soul Thief and making him more "stealthier" with other abilities and stuff or going with Venomed Soul and focusing more in damage and all the poison feats.  I really like the Shadowblade path, but so much revolves around having that weapon which just seems incredibly weak, it just doesn't seem worth it compared to the other two.  As for Epic, of course there's only 1 option directly for the Assassin, and it doesn't seem just overwhelmingly great, but I think that's getting a little too far ahead of myself for now.  That's still quite a ways off.

In any case, any advice would be most helpful.  I'm open to any options, including multiclassing or any specific magic items/weapons that would mix well with the class.  Also, in case any of you would like to know, my party is made up of a Warden, Cleric, Warlord, Assassin, and Wizard.  However, it's looking like we may be replacing the Wizard very soon with a Sorcerer.

Banor

• Curious George
Re: Help with Assassin Build
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
Just to point out a little thing, i'll add more when i'll be back from job : Bloodclaw isn't anywhere where it used to be since its errata, I suggest you move away from this for another weapon.

xipetotec

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
I haven't seen any errata for it?  What did they change?  I was thinking it would synergize very well with the Bleak Disciple since I get temp HP every hit, so I shouldn't ever actually take damage from it.  Seemed like the best weapon at lower levels to me, but maybe there's something better?  I haven't had a chance to look through everything yet.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »
Basically the power is now an Encounter power instead of an at-will

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
I never had access to Assassin, so this isn't much ...

Mark of Making feat is quite interesting at levels 2 and 3.
You get to make items Level+2 , but you don't need the higher level items.
Golf bag is the idea.
It works every time.
Wizard writes the ritual into his book at level 4, then you retrain the feat.
Your party will thank you; perhaps grudgingly ...  ;)

xipetotec

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

Golf bag is the idea.
It works every time.
Your party will thank you; perhaps grudgingly ...  ;)

?? huh?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:27:47 AM »

Golf bag is the idea.
It works every time.
Your party will thank you; perhaps grudgingly ...  ;)

?? huh?

I have a feeling golem is referring to Enchant Magic Item. You master that ritual by having the feat Mark of Making. Wizards can then write Enchant Magic Item as a ritual into their spellbook, and you can just retrain Mark of Making away later at lvl 4. [That way you don't have to pick Enchant Magic Item as one of your free wizard rituals at lvl 5] It also lets you create items at lvl + 2, which means that you can make all the lvl 1-5 magic items you like before retraining it at lvl 4. And there are a lot of good ones..., so it's pretty worthwhile. I suppose early access to it helps too.

The feat also lets you do a few other things, like craft alchemical items at lvl + 2, and master a few other rituals, if you weren't a ritual caster or alchemist.

I don't know what is meant by 'golf bag' but presumably it's helpful somehow. For this trick to truly be useful, your DM actually has to give you gold instead of items, and quite a bit of the party's share, I'd think. The opportunity cost for this is a feat during 2nd and 3rd level, as well as the 4th lvl retraining option. It's really up to you if it's worth it or not.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 02:45:45 AM »
The "golf bag" concept involves having a metric ton of magic items lying around for various situations so you can always have the perfect one for the job. It comes from 3.5, where there was seriously a reason to have a golf bag of adamantine, mythril, cold iron, and other obscure metal swords for the fighter so he could bypass DR.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »
That makes sense. Of course, there has to be a bag to hold all these magic items.  :) I'm guessing that's another one of the 'golf bag' items, isn't it?

xipetotec

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
Sure, sounds like a decent idea, but I think I'm gonna have to pass on that for the time being.  I'm going to take fullblade proficiency at 2nd level for the bloodclaw fullblade I just got.  I might pass the idea on to someone else, though, that might be interested.  We ended up dumping the Wizard and picking up a Sorcerer anyways.

In any case, anyone know of any other good tricks I might want to pick up as an assassin or any other way I can maximize damage?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
Boz and Epi read my mind(s).

Not to re-argue to point, but Xipe
consider having a +1 to every attack.
That's way better than a feat.
If your weapon/implement/thingy is a +1 item, you get the +1.

Consider having a +1 to every NAD.
That's way better than a feat.
It's one little slot magic item.
Yeah I know ... it's boring.

The game math assumes you have the appropriate magic items.
Might as well get on that horse early.