Author Topic: The Lair  (Read 48584 times)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
The Lair
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:38:34 PM »
Lounge about, enjoy a chicken from the hatchery, or even talk to your cohorts.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: The Lair
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »
"I hate gelatinous cubes.  HATE them.  Their squamous hydro-vascular endoskeletons, scintillating membranous cytoplasmic sheaths, inverted myocardial organelles, grotesque mockery of platonic ideals.  

Sickening.

If there's anything I hate more than them, it's otyughs.  Lousy stinking otyughs.  What kind of giant creature subsists entirely upon shit?  Nothing that should be moving around under its own power.  Does a detritivore really need strangulation and toothed tentacles?  Why does it even have teeth?  

There's no reason for them to exist, and, thus, I will show my dedication to a reasonable universe via their complete and total destruction."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:29:16 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:58:16 AM »
I take that to mean Chauser is getting red text?  :P
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:59:37 AM »
Dibs.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »
I call dibs on blue!
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
D'oh!  Looks like someone beat me to it!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
How do you want to handle the random assignment of Cru. maneuvers? make a list of what is ready and have the dice roller roll for what is granted?

ie: before combat i make a list : 1. M1 2. M2 3. M3 4. M4 5. M5 then roll 1d5 that is the first granted. Bump the others lower on the list up, let say I got a 3 for the first roll, so the new list is 1. M1 2. M2 3. M4 4. M5 and roll 1d4 etc...
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »
That works.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
From the looks of I guess the services of my drunk dwarf will be needed. Oh btw how much ale does it take before he would need to roll fort saves? I picked up poison healer so it actually matters. Also in game i've been in before we normally had dwarf spirits as a hard liquor, but i don't know if it is actually in a book anywhere. Would that be something acceptable to have? (I'll check the A&E to see since i know there is some alcohol in there)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
How do you want to handle the random assignment of Cru. maneuvers? make a list of what is ready and have the dice roller roll for what is granted?

ie: before combat i make a list : 1. M1 2. M2 3. M3 4. M4 5. M5 then roll 1d5 that is the first granted. Bump the others lower on the list up, let say I got a 3 for the first roll, so the new list is 1. M1 2. M2 3. M4 4. M5 and roll 1d4 etc...
I thought of the same method two days ago when I was considering running a crusader.  The advantage of rolling 1d4 for the second maneuver is that you don't have to reroll any doubles, which would happen 20% of the time.

From the looks of I guess the services of my drunk dwarf will be needed. Oh btw how much ale does it take before he would need to roll fort saves? I picked up poison healer so it actually matters. Also in game i've been in before we normally had dwarf spirits as a hard liquor, but i don't know if it is actually in a book anywhere. Would that be something acceptable to have? (I'll check the A&E to see since i know there is some alcohol in there)
IIRC (this was a while ago), you basically got one drink per hour for free, and you had to roll a Fort save (DC set by drink) for every one after the first in any given hour.  I thought it dealt something like 1d3 Dex and Wis damage, but I don't really remember the specifics.

Anyway, if that's right, you could have one an hour with no ill effect.  I guess we'll see what Sohala thinks.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »
BTW, Sohala, are we going to be in a dungeon continuously, or are there chances to go to town?

If I'm down there a while, will I be able to fine arrows?  I bought 60 for now and I took a rank in Craft (Bower/Fletcher), so I can make arrows in a pinch, but that takes time.

I also bought half a dozen darts as they don't shatter when they hit.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
Should i even bother with Martial Lore on my sheet? I don't see much use to it unless we fight a fair bit of initiators, since it is equivalent to spellcraft with less uses.

putting my maneuvers in the spell slots on the sheet. Those that are readied (which is all of them for now) will be marked as memorized/prepared. The readied will assume numbering in order from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:53:31 PM by archangel.arcanis »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
I've never bothered with it, but I've also never played in a ToB-heavy game before, either.  I don't know how much use it really is.  I just remember not being that impressed with the skill when I first read it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »
From the looks of I guess the services of my drunk dwarf will be needed.
The others still have a bit.

Oh btw how much ale does it take before he would need to roll fort saves? I picked up poison healer so it actually matters.
I hate to burst the fun bubble...but I am not seeing the Poison Healer + ale combo as acceptable. It works, but only after the person hits 0 Dex and Wis, this is due to my understanding that ale itself is not poisonous, the consumption of excess ale is though.

BTW, Sohala, are we going to be in a dungeon continuously, or are there chances to go to town?
Most likely there will be no access to the outside world, but trade underground might be a possibility.

I took a rank in Craft (Bower/Fletcher), so I can make arrows in a pinch, but that takes time.
I am unsure about down time, I am going to attempt to make food/water relevant, requiring movement to keep fed (survival can help, but will take penalties for each check in the same general area). I will most likely put arrows on the enemy if it becomes to much of a problem.

Should i even bother with Martial Lore on my sheet?
I will have people with maneuvers and other sorts of abilities, refeating some monsters to alternate systems.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:13 PM »
Well if Poison healer will be frowned upon i'll drop it and go another direction, i took it more for comedy than breaking the game anyway.
Martial Lore will get some love from me since i doubt i'll need much else for skills.

if I pickup Dwarven armor Proficiency would it be possible to find a set of Battleplate down there? (both feat and armor are in Races of Stone)
Don't worry about it i'll just drop a flaw.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:16:13 PM by archangel.arcanis »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Well if Poison healer will be frowned upon i'll drop it and go another direction, i took it more for comedy than breaking the game anyway.
I am okay with the feat, it will just require actual poison.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Spike your beer!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »
It was for entertainment value to take it. Besides with it looking like we may not see the surface at all, and likely have relatively few trade opportunities (compared to most games) I would have a hard time getting enough booze to be worthwhile. I don't exactly want to go trouserfang or be drinking mystery poison all the time hoping it doesn't kill me.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
I'll have my character posted tonight.  Got him mostly finished up, need to pick a race and some powers and some gear and I'm good.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
Two people to go (unless one backs out), and they we can get rolling.

With the unknown of shops, I advise that you spend a majority of your starting gold.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:31:57 PM by Sohala »
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror