Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 126829 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #920 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
Q 273 Where can I find a reference for cone breath weapon squares?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #921 on: September 12, 2010, 12:59:33 AM »
Q272: My DM threw a bunch of Water Elementals at me.  They have 16 HD, I'm a level 10 cleric.  I wish to own some of them.  Help!

Dust of Dryness (850 gp)
If the dust is employed against an elemental with the water subtype, the creature must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or be destroyed. The dust deals 5d6 points of damage to the creature even if its saving throw succeeds.
They have a +15 to their fort saves, but that can be lowered with the right spells.

Also check sandstorm for dessicating spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #922 on: September 12, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
Q 273 Where can I find a reference for cone breath weapon squares?
A 273 Page 63 of the Draconomicon.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #923 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »
Q274

I should have asked this 10 hours ago, but can you use Arcane Channeling with a standard action Strike from ToB? The interpretation I'm hoping for is that using a standard action strike counts as a "melee attack" that can be done with the standard action referred to at the beginning of the sentence, although I'm certain this is a dodgy interpretation at best.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #924 on: September 12, 2010, 02:54:37 AM »
Q 275 I'm advancing the deathbringer from MMII to 50 HD from 30. It counts as a caster of 20th level, and it's Negative Burst is 1d8+10. How much do each of those go up?

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #925 on: September 12, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
Q276 Can Iron Heart Surge remove the dazed, nauseated, fascinated, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, stunned or unconscious conditions? If so, why? Iron Heart Surge is a standard action. These conditions are impose restrictions on your ability to act. Unconscious and petrified are the only two that don't specify that you are unable to act, but it seems intuitive that you cannot.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #926 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
Q276 Can Iron Heart Surge remove the dazed, nauseated, fascinated, panicked, paralyzed, petrified, stunned or unconscious conditions? If so, why? Iron Heart Surge is a standard action. These conditions are impose restrictions on your ability to act. Unconscious and petrified are the only two that don't specify that you are unable to act, but it seems intuitive that you cannot.
If somehow you can activate it, yes. 

Since it ends the whole effect, if there was a fort save for half or something that only left you sickened you could unnauseate your buddy who failed his save as well as unsicken youself.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #927 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »
Q277: How does the area of spells interact with three-dimensional combat? It seems reasonable to think that they'd exist in all dimensions (the spell that it came up with was Briar Web, which I ruled at the time would extend to its radius in all directions). I can't seem to find any text on it.
This space intentionally left blank.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #928 on: September 12, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
Problem: I need a sorcerer level for the Draconic Heritage feat that's a prerequisite for that. I have no class levels to spare.

take Dragontouched, from Dragon Magic. Let's you qualify without having sorc levels.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #929 on: September 12, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »
Q277 Is there any way to grant the merciful ability to another character's weapon? Preferably without their in game knowledge and with the scant resources of an Apostle of Peace.

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #930 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
Q278 What are some ways to protect yourself from a high level Holy Word cast at you?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #931 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
Q278 What are some ways to protect yourself from a high level Holy Word cast at you?
A 278

Greater Spell Immunity, Antimagic Field, Silence... Are you looking for anything specific - feat, item, spell, specific spell list, or just any way to avoid the HW? Deafening yourself would also work. Covering your ears and shouting "Lalalala, I can't hear you" might work, but it's risky.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #932 on: September 12, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
Q 275 I'm advancing the deathbringer from MMII to 50 HD from 30. It counts as a caster of 20th level, and it's Negative Burst is 1d8+10. How much do each of those go up?

Got another question as well.
Q 276 Is it just my imagination, or was there a Legendary template that you could add to a creature? I remember a minotaur in one of the books getting a template added to it, but I can't think of where or what it was.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #933 on: September 12, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »
A276: You're thinking of Monster of Legend, and it's from Monster Manual II.
This space intentionally left blank.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #934 on: September 12, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
A276: You're thinking of Monster of Legend, and it's from Monster Manual II.
A276b: It was also updated in the 3.0>3.5 conversion booklet available online. It lost most of its goodies.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #935 on: September 12, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
A 275

Unless either ability states that it is keyed to something that goes up with HD (like HD themselves, or Cha modifier), they don't.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #936 on: September 12, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
A 275

Unless either ability states that it is keyed to something that goes up with HD (like HD themselves, or Cha modifier), they don't.
They don't on anything I'm reading. Not even the 3.5 update.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #937 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »

A276: pg 38 TOB, the first sentence of the Initiating Stances and Maneuvers section. 
It say you must be able to move.  That being the case and it not clarifying what it means by move means you and your DM will have to iron out the particulars.  Some of those effects are no problem and definitely can be surged.  Others like Daze, Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned, or unconcious not so much able to "move" so no. 
Placeholder - T'tosc

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #938 on: September 12, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »

A276: pg 38 TOB, the first sentence of the Initiating Stances and Maneuvers section. 
It say you must be able to move.  That being the case and it not clarifying what it means by move means you and your DM will have to iron out the particulars.  Some of those effects are no problem and definitely can be surged.  Others like Daze, Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned, or unconcious not so much able to "move" so no. 
FAQ clarified that you must have the ability to take a StandardAction to use IHS, otherwise you cannot use it.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #939 on: September 12, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »
Q272: My DM threw a bunch of Water Elementals at me.  They have 16 HD, I'm a level 10 cleric.  I wish to own some of them.  Help!
A 272: If you mean via Command Water Elemental through a Domain power, you're out of luck. That requires a 32 rebuking/turning level or debuffing their rebuking/turn resistance and buffing your rebuking/turning level.

Otherwise, I'd suggest reading the Cleric Handbook. Water Elementals are generic tank monsters, so if you can deal with generic tank monsters you can deal with 16 HD water elementals. If you can't, you need to read the Cleric Handbook. That should point you to the spells you need.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.