Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 127168 times)

idontmuchcareforit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
Q76.1
ugh.  Is there one that's either generic or electricity specific?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »
Q76.1
ugh.  Is there one that's either generic or electricity specific?
Nope. Energy Sub is a +0 mm, though.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

idontmuchcareforit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
Q77:
Different question same build.

How does Born of 3 Thunders interact with spells that have a duration longer than 1 round?

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »
Q77:
Different question same build.

How does Born of 3 Thunders interact with spells that have a duration longer than 1 round?

It concludes with the effect. So the effect only happens when the duration elapses.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Q76:
Is there any way to overcome energy resistance or immunity without changing the energy type?
Rephrased: Is there a spell or ability that works like assay spell resistance, but for energy resistance instead?
A76
yes.....

Searing Spell[Metamagic](Sandstorm)
Your fire spells are so hot that they can damage creatures that normally have resistance or immunity to fire.
Benefit: A searing spell is so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. This feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor.
Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are still entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A searing spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Piercing Cold[Metamagic](Frostburn)
Your cold spells are so cold that they can damage creatures normally resistant or immune to cold.Benefit: You can only apply this metamagic feat to spells with the cold descriptor. Piercing cold spells are so horribly cold that they are capable of damaging creatures normally unharmed by or resistant to cold. Piercing cold spells completely ignore any resistance to cold a creature possesses, bypassing this resistance and dealing damage to the target as if it did not possess any resistance to cold at all. They are still entitled to whatever other defenses the attack allows (such as saving throws and spell resistance).
Creatures normally immune to cold can be damaged by piercing cold spells as well. Piercing cold spells deal half damage to these creatures (or one-quarter on a successful saving throw).
For example, Mialee casts a piercing cold cone of cold at a night hag, a creature normally immune to cold. She makes her level check to penetrate the night hag's spell resistance, but the night hag makes her Reflex save against the spell. Mialee rolls the dice, and her cone of cold deals 42 points of cold damage; since the night hag made her save, the damage is halved to 21 points. This damage is then halved again (since the night hag is normally immune to cold), and 10 points of cold damage are actually dealt to the night hag, who is both shocked and enraged at this unexpected turn of events.
Creatures with the cold subtype can tell that a piercing cold spell is colder than normal, but they remain undamaged by the attack. Creatures with the fire subtype who are damaged by a piercing cold spell take double normal damage instead of the usual +50%.
A piercing cold spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

if you want to change another energy type spell to Fire or Cold... use Energy Substitution(Fire or Cold) ... then apply one of the above to it

:D

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
He probably has effects that apply only to electric damage.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
If it wasn't for the 3/4 bab req, I'd say go focused Transmuter, since you actually get more hastes that way than a regular sorcerer, much less a battle one.
You don't dare choose a wizard of any kind in my DM's campaigns. It's basically got the same effect as begging him to wipe out your character every session. If you're an arcane caster, you're anything but a wizard of any type.

A70
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868570/Sorcerer_Handbook
This is the exact reason why I asked if there was a completed one.

74: He plays under a lot of bad DMs with crazy house rules that make no damned sense, so he wants to make sure he's playing straight and not under the 3.wtf version of the game
Pretty much, yeah. I'm even having to re-read all the rules on charging larger creatures, and when they get AoO vs a charger, and the -2 AC, etc because we don't use those rules. You can charge any creature of any size, and never have to worry about getting attacked unless they're readied, and you don't have the -2 AC that you'd normally get. So for Reckless Charge, you'd just get the base -2 you'd get in any other game. Oh, and metamagic feats are free, but you only get five uses.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
If it wasn't for the 3/4 bab req, I'd say go focused Transmuter, since you actually get more hastes that way than a regular sorcerer, much less a battle one.
You don't dare choose a wizard of any kind in my DM's campaigns. It's basically got the same effect as begging him to wipe out your character every session. If you're an arcane caster, you're anything but a wizard of any type.

A70

74: He plays under a lot of bad DMs with crazy house rules that make no damned sense, so he wants to make sure he's playing straight and not under the 3.wtf version of the game
Pretty much, yeah. I'm even having to re-read all the rules on charging larger creatures, and when they get AoO vs a charger, and the -2 AC, etc because we don't use those rules. You can charge any creature of any size, and never have to worry about getting attacked unless they're readied, and you don't have the -2 AC that you'd normally get. So for Reckless Charge, you'd just get the base -2 you'd get in any other game. Oh, and metamagic feats are free, but you only get five uses.

5/day uses, i assume, and not 5 uses ever?

Wow, that makes quicken awesome at lower levels.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »

A70

Except for the part where you never get higher than second level spells because you keep dieing horrible deaths and getting more racial HD and random useless templates added to you instead of levels, or lose existing levels and feats to do that...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
Why isn't kv playing a sharn again?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Yes, sorry. 5/day.

Except for the part where you never get higher than second level spells because you keep dieing horrible deaths and getting more racial HD and random useless templates added to you instead of levels, or lose existing levels and feats to do that...
And don't forget that the extra levels stack on as negative levels until you buy them off. What happens to you depends on when, where, and how you died. Not to mention who killed you, and in what way they did it.

Not allowed. I didn't mate with one so I can't be one. You are the offspring of your last character. No exceptions unless you're undead. Then you build one (ie a warforged or something to that effect).

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
I might be foolish to prolong this "how to make kv's games less fucked" discussion, but...

there's some decent choices for undead. Especially if everyone else is gimped with LA and HD. If you play a Curst, you're immune to turning (and fire, and cold), and it's (relatively) hard to kill you (your body needs to be disintegrated). At higher levels, I'd follow TML's advice and go ghost. The DC15 level check makes sure you come back... again and again.

How do you become a Curst? Easy. Cast "Undeath after Death" and then kill yourself. You'll be auto-animated with the template. Of course, that's another +2 LA if you're already ladden with super crappy templates. Maybe you should go be a Necropolitan first and then make sure you die and can make a new character.

Sharn... hmm... get eaten by a Sharn? Technically, you become part of the Sharn when it "eats" you; it absorbs your consciousness into its own. Does that count?

Although... if I remember correctly your DM is a colossal+ dick, so... it's probably futile... I just had those ideas, you know? ...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »
Not allowed. I didn't mate with one so I can't be one. You are the offspring of your last character. No exceptions unless you're undead. Then you build one (ie a warforged or something to that effect).
Go and find one, then fuck one. Have your character find Sharns insanely hot. Hey, there's fetishes for being eaten (the bad way), why shouldn't there be a fetish for something with three mouths? :P Then, have your character repent for his perversion and commit suicide. Ta-daa.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Nice try guys, but that doesn't work. The Curst and Necropolitan are just unnecessary LAs that I don't want to have to deal with. And the DM tries to make you a ghost (or ghost walkers in his campaigns) from day 1. If you're on the prime material, and you die, that's what you become. Add another template LA.

If a sharn ate me, I'd likely gain another template or "die" and become something that you could only be by getting eaten by a sharn.

Already have a kid that's in an egg right now. Anything else would just piss off the medusa wife, and the gods. They wouldn't kill me. Just make me lvl 100 with 79 negative levels, and curse me, and that would haunt my next few generations of characters. And committing suicide is futile because you just come back as whatever you can become on that material. Example before, die on the prime material, you become a ghost walker. Doesn't matter how you die, you'll always gain an LA.

Put it this way. You can't "die". The only time a character can die is if they become an NPC. So my current character? He can gain an infinite number of LAs. And possibly even an infinite number of negative levels based on those LAs. However, he will never die. When the next campaign starts, if the plot device wills it, he will die as an NPC, and probably in such a bastardized way that it makes you want to cry.

Now, back to the questions. Q 71 What 3.5 classes give Divine Grace, or a variant of?

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
The Curst and Necropolitan are just unnecessary LAs that I don't want to have to deal with. And the DM tries to make you a ghost (or ghost walkers in his campaigns) from day 1. If you're on the prime material, and you die, that's what you become. Add another template LA.

I just thought undead couldn't gain any of the weird fucking templates? I mean, there aren't a great many templates that apply to undead. And I thought if you died as an undead, you could make a new character. Anyway, Necropolitan doesn't have LA. You just lose a level. But yeah, I'm not going to argue the point. I was just trying to give pointers. If it doesn't work, that's ok.

Q 71
What 3.5 classes give Divine Grace, or a variant of?

Look here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:46:34 PM by Suzerain »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
I just thought undead couldn't gain any of the weird fucking templates? I mean, there aren't a great many templates that apply to undead. And I thought if you died as an undead, you could make a new character. Anyway, Necropolitan doesn't have LA. You just lose a level. But yeah, I'm not going to argue the point. I was just trying to give pointers. If it doesn't work, that's ok.
Sadly, no. In this world a template can stick to anything. He made a 1 HD skeleton into an ECL 12 NPC. Necropolitan has you lose a level, which he has you buy off. No death for you until next campaign, and only if he wills it.

Thanks for the link.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
Q 78. Kevin Video what are you currently playing in the game your all talking about.

Q 79. Does all this odd stuff your DM does make the game fun? Or just really dumb?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
Q 78. Kevin Video what are you currently playing in the game your all talking about.

Q 79. Does all this odd stuff your DM does make the game fun? Or just really dumb?
A 79

'Really dumb' doesn't even begin to describe it. Seriously, do a little search for posts by kv and read up on the poor guy's DMs.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »

A half gold dragon half water elemental mineral warrior aquatic half elf mystic ranger/targetter/half elf paragon/human paragon/pious templar with a negative level.

It's not boring, but I'll leave it at that. Keeps your character alive so you're not constantly having to make new ones.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2010, 09:51:22 PM »
Q 80. For GHOSTS. Whats the main diff between the Ghostwalk stuff, SS progression, and the MM stuff? What one would you choose to make a Ghost character or npc?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda