Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 127109 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Simple Q&A16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »
Q 35. Where do I post for help with building characters? I know carns workshop... any other good threads? I dont want to make a new topic every time I want help with a character/npc/monster which is alot.
unless I'm mistaken, carn's workshop is for his stuff. (and likewise for others who have similar threads).
people start new threads all the time for build help.  unless you just want to start a "help dna1" thread ... then just load up all your questions their.  :shrug

:ninja'ed

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:01 AM »
Q 36: Is there any good 3.5 splat material for orcs out there?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
Q 36: Is there any good 3.5 splat material for orcs out there?

Unearthed Arcana, Races of Destiny, and whatever book has heedless change are all great resources for building orc characters.  Nothing really dedicated to orcs though.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
Drat... I guess I'll be creating orcish culture from scratch then.... *mutters to himself* Spirit shamen as the primary caster in their society....
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2010, 03:37:28 AM »
Q 37 Where can I find the "death" variant where you only take 20d6 instead of actually having a character die? Is there a variant on that? I just saw a wizard spell that does up to 40d6. Something tells me I'd much rather take a finger of death for 20d6 than a 40d6 from a black blade of disaster.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 03:38:46 AM »
Q 38 On the Fighter's Dragonscale Husk ACF, from the Dragon Magic book: Does the Husk have an arcane spell failure chance?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2010, 03:40:30 AM »
Q 38 On the Fighter's Dragonscale Husk ACF, from the Dragon Magic book: Does the Husk have an arcane spell failure chance?
No it does not, but the trade off is you can't cast spells on it to improve it either.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2010, 04:11:22 AM »
Q 37 Where can I find the "death" variant where you only take 20d6 instead of actually having a character die? Is there a variant on that? I just saw a wizard spell that does up to 40d6. Something tells me I'd much rather take a finger of death for 20d6 than a 40d6 from a black blade of disaster.

A 37 Epic Variant: No "Save or Die" Spells. Most of them are actually 20d6 + 1d6/level rather than a flat 20d6, though. Also it's from 3.0 so some of the basic spells being modified are slightly different. I think Disintegrate was save or die rather than save or take 2d6/level, for instance. Similarly, Heal and Harm were healing/dealing all but 1d4 hp or so instead of the current version.

Q 39 Has anyone noticed this little line in the Soulbow Excerpt from CPsi?

Quote from: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2
Likewise, these enhancement bonuses also improve your soulknife base attack bonus.
Specifically, this is in the Mind Arrow ability and is referring to the enhancement bonuses gained at levels 3 and 7. Is this a typo or the first case of an Enhancement bonus to BaB?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:38 AM »
Q 40: What's this Belt of Magnificense I've been hearing so much about and where can I get one?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18:47 AM »
Q 40: What's this Belt of Magnificense I've been hearing so much about and where can I get one?
It's in the Miniatures Handbook. It increases all of your stats at once for +2 (25,000), +4 (100,000), and +6 (200,000) for one item slot.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:06 AM »
Q 41 A while back when I was looking at the Cleric handbook, I saw either a feat, or an ACF, that let you switch out the original ability of a domain (if it was useless like +1 to lawful spells) for something else. I think it might be Divine Restoration, but I'm not sure. Is having the Evil Domain's power worth keeping? I mean, the spells that casts are all evil so +1 sounds good, but having restoration would be nice too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:48:11 AM by kevin_video »

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2010, 06:55:04 AM »
bump

Q16 What happens when you cast a prismatic sphere while inside a prismatic shpere, if a) the spheres overlap exactly and b) the spheres don't overlap exactly?
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:40 AM »
bump

Q16 What happens when you cast a prismatic sphere while inside a prismatic shpere, if a) the spheres overlap exactly and b) the spheres don't overlap exactly?

It's not exactly clear to me either; I'd treat it exactly like a force effect. The problem being, I can't find anything that prevents force effects (e.g. walls of force) to intersect and such (it just says no creature or object can be in the way. a force wall is a spell effect... is it also an object?). I think it hinges on that question. If anyone knows whether force walls can cross each other? ...

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
Q 42: Is there an easy way of determining if you should be power attacking or a guild to help with the number crunching?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »
Q 42: Is there an easy way of determining if you should be power attacking or a guild to help with the number crunching?
If you're not hitting, you're probably power attacking for too much.

If you are hitting, you can try upping the amount you Power Attack by.

That's about all there is to it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »
Q 41 A while back when I was looking at the Cleric handbook, I saw either a feat, or an ACF, that let you switch out the original ability of a domain (if it was useless like +1 to lawful spells) for something else. I think it might be Divine Restoration, but I'm not sure. Is having the Evil Domain's power worth keeping? I mean, the spells that casts are all evil so +1 sounds good, but having restoration would be nice too.
Divine restoration isn't particularly good (just prepare restoration spells yourself).  If you have a way of casting [evil] spells predominantly, the evil domain is rather better.  Plus, I think divine restoration requires positive energy channeling.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Felix Underwood

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
Create (Greater) Undead can be used with contingency by RAW and RAI... so yeah, I would.
Unfortunately, the spell Contingency has a cap:  1/3rd your caster level, Max 6th.

Create Undead is 6th, Create Greater Undead is 8th.

I'm not sure that Craft Contingent Spell should work with corpsecrafter...  I guess it probably should:  "(similar to the effect created by a contingency spell)"

...Now imagine that on a Necropolitan.
I know... I am..  :devil:

I allow it because it takes a lot of valuable Feat slots sunk into it.  When compared to other powerful examples like Persisitant/Divine Metamagic, Knowledge Devotion, etc.. it doesn't seem so bad to me.

Also, I house rule that the +2 Natural Armor is an enhancement bonus (otherwise, it wouldn't stack with pretty much every corporeal undead I can think of that already has a base Natural Armor).  That being said, this and the other enhancement bonuses (str + dex) are great at low levels, but wouldn't stack with +5 or +6 items that a higher level character is likely to want.

Also, also, I love undead.   :D

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:01 PM »
Q 41 A while back when I was looking at the Cleric handbook, I saw either a feat, or an ACF, that let you switch out the original ability of a domain (if it was useless like +1 to lawful spells) for something else.

A cleric can trade the granted power of a domain for the devotion feat associated with that domain.  If you go into ordained champion, you can trade the granted power of up to two domains for a fighter feat each. 

Zebu

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
Q 41 A while back when I was looking at the Cleric handbook, I saw either a feat, or an ACF, that let you switch out the original ability of a domain (if it was useless like +1 to lawful spells) for something else.

A cleric can trade the granted power of a domain for the devotion feat associated with that domain.  If you go into ordained champion, you can trade the granted power of up to two domains for a fighter feat each. 
Actually, a cleric can trade the Domain (including granted spells) for the associated Devotion feat (rules in Complete Champion).  But yes, the Ordained Champion lets you swap granted powers for fighter feats and keep the spells.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »

Here's a rule of thumb:

P=10H-D/(2M)

P = What you should power attack for (round to the nearest integer). 
H = Your average (across all attacks you'll make this round) chance of hitting with an attack with no power attack penalty. 
D = Your average (non-critical) damage per attack with no power attack bonus. 
M = What you multiply your power attack penalty by to get your extra damage (typically 2 for a two-handed weapon). 

There are corner cases where this isn't quite right, but it's generally good. 

You can also use this or one of the many other tools available.