Author Topic: Simple Q&A 16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...  (Read 127166 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A16: Has Anyone Really Been Far Even As ...
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
Q 30a If you do a partial charge, which is a standard action, can you still pounce and get in all of your attacks?

Q 30b During a surprise round, if you have the charging boots which allow you to do a regular charge as a standard instead of a full action, can you pounce?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
Q26 Which undead can both be created via spell (so that corpsecrafter etc apply to it) and are playable (i.e. have a listed LA)? I've been going through this list and only found the Curst (UE). They're LA +3, though, and have abysmal stats.
A26 Would you allow a player to cast Create Undead on herself as a <Contingency>?

(I house rule allowing the corpsecrafter line to apply to rituals and whatnot.)

A30a & b Yes, and Yes.  A charge is a charge is a charge.  (btw, I think charging boots are redundant.)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
Addendum: Yes, Charging Boots are redundant in a surprise round, as you can charge as a standard action during one anyway (and in any other situation in which you are limited to one Standard action).
Other than that, partial charges don't exist in D&D 3.5 as far as I'm aware - you only get to charge as a Standard action if you're unable to take a full-round action.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
Q15:

from the other thread, oops, I knew better but had a brain fart

If throwing a shrunken item (in this case, a rather large 10x10 chunk of rock) at a creature, may I instead choose to target a grid intersection a la splash weapons to hit a creature by speaking the command word in mid-flight and striking it by proxy of the, now large, chunk sailing into the square?
bump
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »
Addendum: Yes, Charging Boots are redundant in a surprise round, as you can charge as a standard action during one anyway (and in any other situation in which you are limited to one Standard action).
Other than that, partial charges don't exist in D&D 3.5 as far as I'm aware - you only get to charge as a Standard action if you're unable to take a full-round action.
partial- charge is the name of the single-action charge, perbPHB
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.

So the boots would make that a standard, allowing you to still do a move. Like say to get into position, or move away after charging so you could do it again next round (or after you've activated a Belt of Battle).

I guess the term "partial charge" comes from only being able to move your base movement, not double.

With the use of the boots, I was wondering more if you could move double your movement instead of just your base move. Like say you're 40 ft away, and can only move 30 during a surprise round.

But could you use pounce (which normally requires a full round action) for either, since normally you're only supposed to make one attack action during a surprise round (or move, but we're not looking for that)? If the answer is flat yes as was previously stated, then awesome.

partial- charge is the name of the single-action charge, perbPHB
That's the one.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
With the use of the boots, I was wondering more if you could move double your movement instead of just your base move. Like say you're 40 ft away, and can only move 30 during a surprise round.
No. The boots allow you to make a charge as a Standard action, but you get to move only your speed. They basically let you do a partial charge in situations where you wouldn't be able to.

But could you use pounce (which normally requires a full round action) for either, since normally you're only supposed to make one attack action during a surprise round (or move, but we're not looking for that)? If the answer is flat yes as was previously stated, then awesome.
Yes, and don't let any of your DMs tell you otherwise. The full attack from Pounce has nothing at all to do with the action you take to charge.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »
Read the pounce entry of the mm. Technically pounce let's you make one attack, and then a full attack. It's not just a full attack.

And yes, it still activates.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »

Q 29: The acid wash weapon crafting quality says that the weapons in questions are made from two or more metals... can I make an Acid wash sword out of two materials?
Why not? Most "common" metals we use nowadays are allows, and alloys of metals were used way back through history. Hell, Steel isn't pure iron.
So I have a weapon made of Aurorum and Adamantine?
Both of them require being a majority of the weapon, so no. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
Q26 Which undead can both be created via spell (so that corpsecrafter etc apply to it) and are playable (i.e. have a listed LA)? I've been going through this list and only found the Curst (UE). They're LA +3, though, and have abysmal stats.
A26 Would you allow a player to cast Create Undead on herself as a <Contingency>?

(I house rule allowing the corpsecrafter line to apply to rituals and whatnot.)
Create (Greater) Undead can be used with contingency by RAW and RAI... so yeah, I would.

And I think I've pretty much answered my own question now, going through ALL the material there is (as far as I know). The "best" thing is Crypt Spawn with LA+2 and a noticeable lack of abilities (other than turn resistance +2, +4 intimidate and 1-5 NA depending on HD).

I haven't checked Eberron stuff though, if there is any. I believe I've checked every template listed on the monster index, though.

And the reason I'm not houseruling rituals to count is because a Dread Necromancer 8+ with Corpsecrafter, Bolster Resistance, Hardened Flesh and Nimble Bones in a desecrated area gives +6HP/HD, +4 init, +4/+4 str/dex (enh), +10' speed, +2NA, and +4 turn resistance. Throw in some Dragon Magazine feats (which, admittedly, I wouldn't allow) and you'll get max hit points too. Now imagine that on a Necropolitan.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
Q 31: What are the dnd 3.5 stats for Glass Steel?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2010, 08:37:01 PM »
Q 31: What are the dnd 3.5 stats for Glass Steel?
A31
I missed that mundane enhancement boni for special materials were 3.0-only - a pity, if you ask me. Anyway, Champions of Valor has the current bunch. They lost the boni, everything else stayed pretty much the same, I think. For armors, it behaves like Mithral. Also, it has hardness 20 and 40 hitpoints per inch of thickness (much like Adamantine). For some retarded reason, the stuff is also cheaper than Adamantine (500gp for a weapon!), but more expensive than Mithral (2,000gp for light armor, 6,000 for medium armor, 12,000gp for heavy armor). It does not give DR like adamantine does.

It used to be really really expensive in 3.0 ... 1500gp/lb for a 1d6 weapon, 2500gp/lb for a 1d8+ weapon. 9,000gp for light (!) armor, 16,000gp for medium, 25,000gp for heavy armor.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:42 AM »
Q32
Q250
Is there a way to make the Beholder/Polymorph any Object trick truly permanent (as in, it can't be dispelled, or a template forces to be my race/etc.)
Also, if I cast Polymorph any object a few thousand times, each time turning into a Beholder, would the Permanency of the previous castings remain or would the other spells disappear?

Also, If I had level 10 Planar Shepherd Beholders as natives to my Planar Shepherd Plane, can I wildshape into Beholders as they are now Outsiders do to Planar Shepherds ability?

Didn't get answered from last thread =P
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:35 AM »
No. The boots allow you to make a charge as a Standard action, but you get to move only your speed. They basically let you do a partial charge in situations where you wouldn't be able to.
Could you name such a situation where you could make a partial charge as a standard action with the boots, but not normally be allowed to make a partial charge as a standard action without them?

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
Q21  Let's say you've got a racial touch attack, like a lich's paralyzing touch.  Assuming you make your touch attacks with your hands, would wearing gloves or gauntlets interfere with that ability?

Bumping from the end of the page.

Could you name such a situation where you could make a partial charge as a standard action with the boots, but not normally be allowed to make a partial charge as a standard action without them?

You would not be allowed to make a partial charge at any time you are not restricted to a single action.  So you couldn't partial charge if you're not slowed, not a zombie, not in a surprise round, and so on.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2010, 01:31:09 AM »
Q 33. What do Mercurial weapons do? I thought it up'd the dmg die, but was that in 3.0?

Q 34. Whats the benefit of green steel weapons
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2010, 01:32:30 AM »

Q21  Let's say you've got a racial touch attack, like a lich's paralyzing touch.  Assuming you make your touch attacks with your hands, would wearing gloves or gauntlets interfere with that ability?

Nope.  You can still use touch attack spells with gauntlets.  No difference.

A34: +1 Enhancement bonus to damage, IIRC.  So you basically get a discount +1 weapon.
Planetouched Handbook

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »
Q 35. Where do I post for help with building characters? I know carns workshop... any other good threads? I dont want to make a new topic every time I want help with a character/npc/monster which is alot.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
Q 33. What do Mercurial weapons do? I thought it up'd the dmg die, but was that in 3.0?
A33
full normal damage of their "normal" counterpart, but with a x4 multiplier (but with only a "20" threat range)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »
Q 35. Where do I post for help with building characters? I know carns workshop... any other good threads? I dont want to make a new topic every time I want help with a character/npc/monster which is alot.

You could just have your own thread and edit the OP.
Planetouched Handbook