Author Topic: Deleted Stuff  (Read 11823 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Deleted Stuff
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
I've enabled "recycling" which means if I delete a thread or posts, they will appear in the Garbage Bin,

This will happen a few times:

If an "offiical" type thread gets off topic junk, I'm going to move it out.  There are quite a few threads that I want to leave "pure" so as new people come and they read about the Douchebag of the Week podcast feature for the first time, they don't wade through 2 pages of in-jokes and nonsense.  That would turn someone off from the forum and possibly show right off the bat and that's no bueno.  So there are certain threads that I'll be much more aggressive about keeping clean whereas others I may just let run wild.  The distinction is- if it's something about this site or the show, most likely, that's on the radar. 

Also, posts that are overly insulting/ rude/ etc. may get the ax too.  I'm not nearly as concerned about everyone playing nice here as you will find on other boards.  I'm going by the assumption everyone is an adult and you can handle your own.  Don't get involved in a land war in Asia if you can't handle the consequences.

The two exceptions are when one person is rude and it's unwarranted which in turns hurts someone else for realsies or it distracts from the topic which still has life in it. 

If you've got beef, have a Duel of Wits with someone.  Get it out and move on.

So if you think something's been deleted, check the Garbage Bin.  Check that board to see what else is getting cut and learn by example. 

If you have questions about this or suggestions, ask here.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Re: Deleted Stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
I've looked in the recycle bin, and there's a couple of things that I can't figure out the reason they got moved there.

I think it might help if you made a quick label in your mod voice that explained (very briefly) why something got deleted/moved...

The vast majority make sense, however. :)

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
I actually have done that with some of the threads.  There is some stuff there that doesn't really belong because 1) people could delete their own stuff before I figured out that they were doing so and 2) there is some stuff from the pbp area there.  I'm going to make a garbage can just for pbp so the recycle bin can actually serve its purpose so everyone can learn by example.

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

jcm

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • I am information man
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Is there any way we can delete our own posts with recycling enabled or was it intentionally turned off?

A couple times I've meant to modify one of my posts and instead clicked on quote instead and not noticed till I submit. I know it's my own fault for not using preview, but I've still managed to do it twice  :wall

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
Isn't there a remove button in the upper right corner of your each post, Prince George?

Handy Links

jcm

• I am information man
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Just quote and modify. I could swear there used to be a delete button that isn't there any more.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
Really? I do have a button labelled remove and I've used it once too.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
It is likely based on post count.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
Deleting your own posts and topics was a feature I accidentally left on and then noticed it when the garbage started getting filled up with stuff, so I turned it off.  Or so I thought-- turns out there were a couple of groups for PbP that still had them on.

I'd love to give the permission back once you hit a certain post count, but that's not an option unfortunately.  The only options for post count are the number of PM's you can have and what boards you can see. 

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
If you find that you've double posted or posted something in the wrong place you can always report the post and ask that it be moved/removed. I've done this for several posters and don't mind at all.  =)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

jcm

• I am information man
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
Reporting the post was my second thought after trying to delete it myself didn't work, but it told me something along the lines of "reporting your own post doesn't make sense" when I tried.

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
Hmm... Well I know that I don't mind, so feel free to PM me with a link if you need to. =)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

jcm

• I am information man
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
Hmm... Well I know that I don't mind, so feel free to PM me with a link if you need to. =)

Thanks, I'll do that next time I screw up and double post then.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity, do all deleted posts go to the garbage bin? I've seen a couple vanish mysteriously from the Not to Unfairly yadda yadda thread that didn't appear in the bin.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »
No- some get moved to a mod-only viewing garbage.  This is especially the case if the idea is too poisonous to leave on the boards at all. 

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
Gotcha. Makes sense. Honestly, the bin itself is just a courtesy on your part, so demanding total transparency would be rather silly, wouldn't it?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
No- some get moved to a mod-only viewing garbage.

That, to me, seems to defeat the purpose of having the Garbage bin in the first place.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
I suppose it can look bad, but if we don't trust the admins, then we probably don't want to be here in the first place.  So, while it isn't transparant, I don't think that's a big issue.

Although, is it that bad to keep it all in one place?  When I first read about the garbage bin, I read that it serves as a bit of an example.  Basically, "don't post like this or it will get pruned".  Is it a problem if caustic stuff like that ends up in one out-of-the-way spot?  To me, it serves as a reminder not to post like stuff like that.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »
Can you actually delete spam posts, so they don't get archived by search engines?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »
Can you actually delete spam posts, so they don't get archived by search engines?

We can, yes.