Author Topic: Attention MTG Players!  (Read 7529 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Attention MTG Players!
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
I have a project I am working on that requires a grand total of 40 different Planeswalkers. Each of these planeswalkers is getting an EDH deck (the planeswalker's theme will revolve around that deck's General), so they need to be compatible with that format.

A breakdown of the requirements
[SPOILER]1 five color Planeswalker (based on a 5-color Artifacts deck).

10 tri-color Planeswalkers (the first five based on the Planar Chaos Dragons, the second five based on the Alaran colors but they are going to have weird generals).

10 dual-colored Planeswalkers (based on various 2-colored Generals, the exact ones will vary).

15 mono-colored Planeswalkers. This lot will be used with the Emperor format in addition to EDH, so keep that in mind.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Attention MTG Players!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
So, let me get this straight - you need homebrew planeswalkers, yes? I've got a few done, most notably a 'wedge' tri-color cycle. They're not directly based on the dragons, but they were partly inspired by them - the connection is stronger in some than in others. I'll dig them up in a bit. Or do you need the decks, or a combination of both?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:18:10 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
So, let me get this straight - you need homebrew planeswalkers, yes? I've got a few done, most notably a 'wedge' tri-color cycle. They're not directly based on the dragons, but they were partly inspired by them - the connection is stronger in some than in others. I'll dig them up in a bit. Or do you need the decks, or a combination of both?

The decks are the easy part: There are staples that every EDH deck needs (kinda like YGO, but not nearly as bad), so that takes care of the major issues.

The hardest part is coming up with balanced but useful abilities/costs for 46 different Planeswalkers (8 5color, 10 Tricolor, 10 Dualcolor, 15 Monocolor, 3 Colorless). The Colorless ones will be by far the hardest, as Colorless doesn't have a Niche Ability.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Well, here's the cycle I mentioned earlier. See if any of them are at all useful for you.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

It looks to me like the first and second are those that most fit with what the individual tri-color decks are trying to do, and they were also the most influenced by their respective PC dragon. Lydia's a bomby board wiper with a plus-ability good for offing hard-to-kill creatures, and Leva's just a combo enabler in a box. The plus on her first ability is a bit high, but should balance out with her low starting loyalty and the fact that her other abilities require a lot of build-up, especially the ultimate.
RJ's ability was originally a reanimator, but I couldn't decide on how to do it so she didn't clash with Liliana while keeping it interesting and not to wordy. I still can't, in fact.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:36:59 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
[spoiler]
Well, here's the cycle I mentioned earlier. See if any of them are at all useful for you.

Looks like a Chandra Nalaar meets "HOLY SHITBALLS BATMAN!". That Ultimate is a tad undercosted. It does give me ideas for that particular color combo though, so all is not lost.

I like this one, except the -X should probably be limited to a -2. Then again, the deck this card would be going into isn't going to have too many artifacts to abuse such an ability. It's also very vulnerable.

That ultimate would be limited to Creatures, and it would have the Emblem rules they put on Elspeth, but otherwise good.

Well, her +X ability is JMS-retarded, her Clash ability makes sense for UW but not so much for R, and her Ultimate is worded weirdly (though so is Panglacial Wurm), but not bad inspiration.

This one, well, is waaaaaaaaay off target for those colors (except the +1, but that's a bit strong for a + ability).
[/spoiler]

RJ's ability was originally a reanimator, but I couldn't decide on how to do it so she didn't clash with Liliana while keeping it interesting and not to wordy. I still can't, in fact.

I'd actually have gone through the individual colors and picked interesting cards from those three colors to mimic instead of a reanimator theme.

Is the art yours, or did you nab that from someone? If it's the latter, I'm going to have to retype those.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
Is the art yours, or did you nab that from someone? If it's the latter, I'm going to have to retype those.
Not mine. See the artist credits (taken without permission, natch :p).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »
Not mine. See the artist credits (taken without permission, natch :p).

Thought so. Hopefully I can come up with something (my drawing skills suck, but I can use Photoshop to turn the sketches into actual art).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
Here's an update:

[SPOILER]Karn Planeswalker 7
Planeswalker (M)Ulamog Planeswalker 6
Planeswalker (M)Maka Sorata(M)Arcanis Planeswalker 2UU
Planeswalker (M)Meloku Planeswalker 4U
Planeswalker (M)Tidemaker Planeswalker 1UUU
Planeswalker (M)(This effect lasts indefinitely.)[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Chainer Planeswalker 3BB
Planeswalker (M)Horobi Planeswalker 2BB
Planeswalker (M)Lim-Dul Planeswalker 5BB
Planeswalker (M)Zo-Zu Planeswalker 1RR
Planeswalker (M)Omnath Planeswalker 2GGG
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 5
+2: Untap up to three target lands.
-5: Chroma- Reveal any number of cards in your hand. Add G to your mana pool for each green mana symbol in those cards' mana costs.
-12: You gain X life, where X is the amount of green mana in your mana pool.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Sasaya Planeswalker GGGG
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 4
+1: Search your library for a basic land card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
-4: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
-7: Put five tokens onto the battlefield that are a copy of target land.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Bolas Planeswalker UBR
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card of that color from it. That player discards that card.
-1: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice that creature.
-7: You draw five cards and you lose 5 life. Put an X/X black, red, and blue Djinn creature token with flying onto the battlefield, where X is the number of cards in your hand as the token enters the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Numot Planeswalker 2RWU
Planeswalker (M)Queen Planeswalker WUBRG
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 7
+2: Put a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token onto the battlefield.
-1: Choose a card type, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is the chosen type, put it into your hand. Otherwise exile it.
-12: Target opponent chooses four nonland cards in your graveyard in any combination. Separate those cards into two piles. That opponent exiles one of those piles. Put the other pile into your hand.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Teneb Planeswalker 1BGW
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 3
+2: Search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
-X: Put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a permanent card from your graveyard with converted mana cost X to your hand.
-7: Exile all creature cards from your graveyard, then sacrifice all creatures you control, then put all cards exiled this way onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Triplets Planeswalker WUB

[SPOILER]Vorosh Planeswalker 2GUB
Planeswalker (M)Reaper Planeswalker 2/W2/U2/B2/R2/G
Planeswalker (M)Kangee Planeswalker 3W/UW/U
Planeswalker (M)Szadek Planeswalker U/BU/B

[SPOILER]Kaervek Planeswalker 2B/RB/R
Planeswalker (M)Ulasht Planeswalker 2R/GR/GR/G
Planeswalker (M)Tolsimir Planeswalker G/WG/W
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 3
-1: Put a 1/1 white Soldier token with  First Strike onto the battlefield.
-2: Put a 2/2 green Plant token with Trample onto the battlefield.
-3: Put a 3/3 white and green Spirit token with Flying onto the battlefield. [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Hassek the Solemn(M)
-1: Exile target card from a graveyard. If you do, put a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
-2: Name a card. Until the end of your next turn, the named card cannot be played.
-5: Destroy all creatures.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor(M)
Starting Loyalty: 2
Whenever you cast an Instant or Sorcery spell, put a loyalty counter on Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor.
T: Copy target Instant or Sorcery spell with a converted mana cost of X or less, where X is the number of loyalty counters on Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor.
-1: Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of spells cast this turn.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Stoutarm Planeswalker 3R/WR/W
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Target creature gets +3/+0 and gains First Strike until end of turn.
-2: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You gain X life, where X is that permanents converted mana cost.
-4: Put a 4/4 red and white Giant Warrior token onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Kraj Planeswalker G/U
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 1
+1: Reveal the top card of your library. If it is a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise put it into your hand.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains Graft 1. (It does not gain more than one counter in this way).
-4: Remove five +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control. If you do, draw four cards.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Alara Planeswalker 2RG/WU/B
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Choose a color. Add three mana of that color to your mana pool.
-1: Choose a type of counter on another target permanent. Put a counter of that type on that permanent.
-30: Target player loses the game.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Karona Planeswalker 2WU/BR/G
Planeswalker (M)Overlord Planeswalker 2UB/GR/W
Planeswalker (M)Uir Fyrdeus(M)
Starting Loyalty: 6
+1: Target creature gains Deathtouch until the end of turn.
-2: Choose a creature type. Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may put all creature cards of the chosen type from among them into your hand. Shuffle the rest into your library.
-9: You may put up to two creature cards in your hand onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:12:49 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]