Author Topic: Attention MTG Players!  (Read 6387 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Attention MTG Players!
« on: August 25, 2010, 03:01:16 AM »
I have a project I am working on that requires a grand total of 40 different Planeswalkers. Each of these planeswalkers is getting an EDH deck (the planeswalker's theme will revolve around that deck's General), so they need to be compatible with that format.

A breakdown of the requirements
[SPOILER]1 five color Planeswalker (based on a 5-color Artifacts deck).

10 tri-color Planeswalkers (the first five based on the Planar Chaos Dragons, the second five based on the Alaran colors but they are going to have weird generals).

10 dual-colored Planeswalkers (based on various 2-colored Generals, the exact ones will vary).

15 mono-colored Planeswalkers. This lot will be used with the Emperor format in addition to EDH, so keep that in mind.

3 colorless Planeswalkers (one for Karn, Kozilek, and Ulamog, respectively). These three are lumped in with the Emperor group above.[/SPOILER]

Here's a list of the Generals for each of those groups:

[SPOILER]Reaper King (Five Color Artifacts, to be a more diverse version of the Karn deck).

Oros, the Avenger (psuedo-Voltron with a focus on boardwiping effects)
Teneb, the Harvester (standard issue Reanimator)
Intet, the Dreamer (three-color Combo/Control)
Vorosh, the Hunter (The Rock)
Numot, the Devastator (Control)

Sen Triplets (Control with a Clone theme)
Rafiq of the Many (The Rock, with White replacing Black)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (The Rock, focusing on Enter/Leave the Battlefield effects)
Hazezon Tamar (Token generator effects)
Nichol Bolas (Control with a hint of Voltron)

Tolsimir Wolfblood (WG[ Aggro)
Brion Stoutarm (RW Tribal Control)
Teysa, Orzhov Scion (Reanimator)
Iname as One (Dredge+The Rock+Reanimator)
Kangee, Aerie Keeper (Tribal Control)
Tibor and Lumia (Storm Combo)
Experiment Kraj (Take a wild guess)
Szadek, Lord of Secrets (Control)
Ulasht, the Hate Seed (Tokens)
Kaervek the Merciless (Control with a touch of Burn)

Iona, Shield of Emeria
Isamaru, Hound of Konda
Hokori, Dust Drinker (Voltron Control)

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Ashling the Pilgrim
Zo-Zu the Punisher (Power Burn)

Lim-Dûl the Necromancer
Horobi, Death's Wail
Chainer, Dementia Master (Super Reanimator)

Omnath, Locus of Mana
Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant
Azusa, Lost but Seeking (Big Green)

Arcanis the Omnipotent
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Meloku the Clouded Mirror (Control)

Karn, Silver Golem
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre (Whatever they can manage)[/SPOILER]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Attention MTG Players!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:12:31 AM »
So, let me get this straight - you need homebrew planeswalkers, yes? I've got a few done, most notably a 'wedge' tri-color cycle. They're not directly based on the dragons, but they were partly inspired by them - the connection is stronger in some than in others. I'll dig them up in a bit. Or do you need the decks, or a combination of both?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:18:10 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:21:50 AM »
So, let me get this straight - you need homebrew planeswalkers, yes? I've got a few done, most notably a 'wedge' tri-color cycle. They're not directly based on the dragons, but they were partly inspired by them - the connection is stronger in some than in others. I'll dig them up in a bit. Or do you need the decks, or a combination of both?

The decks are the easy part: There are staples that every EDH deck needs (kinda like YGO, but not nearly as bad), so that takes care of the major issues.

The hardest part is coming up with balanced but useful abilities/costs for 46 different Planeswalkers (8 5color, 10 Tricolor, 10 Dualcolor, 15 Monocolor, 3 Colorless). The Colorless ones will be by far the hardest, as Colorless doesn't have a Niche Ability.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:24 AM »
Well, here's the cycle I mentioned earlier. See if any of them are at all useful for you.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

It looks to me like the first and second are those that most fit with what the individual tri-color decks are trying to do, and they were also the most influenced by their respective PC dragon. Lydia's a bomby board wiper with a plus-ability good for offing hard-to-kill creatures, and Leva's just a combo enabler in a box. The plus on her first ability is a bit high, but should balance out with her low starting loyalty and the fact that her other abilities require a lot of build-up, especially the ultimate.
RJ's ability was originally a reanimator, but I couldn't decide on how to do it so she didn't clash with Liliana while keeping it interesting and not to wordy. I still can't, in fact.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:36:59 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:06:47 AM »
[spoiler]
Well, here's the cycle I mentioned earlier. See if any of them are at all useful for you.

Looks like a Chandra Nalaar meets "HOLY SHITBALLS BATMAN!". That Ultimate is a tad undercosted. It does give me ideas for that particular color combo though, so all is not lost.

I like this one, except the -X should probably be limited to a -2. Then again, the deck this card would be going into isn't going to have too many artifacts to abuse such an ability. It's also very vulnerable.

That ultimate would be limited to Creatures, and it would have the Emblem rules they put on Elspeth, but otherwise good.

Well, her +X ability is JMS-retarded, her Clash ability makes sense for UW but not so much for R, and her Ultimate is worded weirdly (though so is Panglacial Wurm), but not bad inspiration.

This one, well, is waaaaaaaaay off target for those colors (except the +1, but that's a bit strong for a + ability).
[/spoiler]

RJ's ability was originally a reanimator, but I couldn't decide on how to do it so she didn't clash with Liliana while keeping it interesting and not to wordy. I still can't, in fact.

I'd actually have gone through the individual colors and picked interesting cards from those three colors to mimic instead of a reanimator theme.

Is the art yours, or did you nab that from someone? If it's the latter, I'm going to have to retype those.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:14:07 AM »
Is the art yours, or did you nab that from someone? If it's the latter, I'm going to have to retype those.
Not mine. See the artist credits (taken without permission, natch :p).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:18:47 AM »
Not mine. See the artist credits (taken without permission, natch :p).

Thought so. Hopefully I can come up with something (my drawing skills suck, but I can use Photoshop to turn the sketches into actual art).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »
Here's an update:

[SPOILER]Karn Planeswalker 7
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 4
+3: Target artifact becomes an X/X creature, where X is that artifact’s converted mana cost.
-1: Exile target nonland card in a player’s graveyard. If you do, draw a card.
-X: Cast target exiled card without paying it’s mana cost. X is that card’s converted mana cost.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Ulamog Planeswalker 6
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 5
+2: Until the beginning of your next upkeep, colored spells cost 2 more to cast.
-2: Put two 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have “Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool”.
-12: Destroy all colored Creatures and Enchantments. Add X to your mana pool, where X is the number of permanents destroyed in this way.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Maka Sorata 1WW
Planeswalker — Maka  (M)
Starting Loyalty: 3
+1: Shuffle target creature into it’s owner’s library. That creature’s controller may draw a card.
-1: Search your library for an equipment card and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put that card on top.
-5: You get an emblem with “Creatures you control have First Strike and Vigilance.”[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Arcanis Planeswalker 2UU
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Tap an untapped Wizard you control. If you do, return target nonland permanent to it’s owner’s hand.
-2: Creatures target player controls don’t untap during that player’s next untap step.
-4: Draw three cards[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Meloku Planeswalker 4U
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
0: Put a 1/1 blue Illusion creature token onto the battlefield. It has “Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, exile this creature”.
-6: Until the beginning of the next end step, Islands you control have “When this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may return target creature to it’s owner’s hand”.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Tidemaker Planeswalker 1UUU
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Up to two target creatures do not untap during their controller’s next untap step.
-2: Chroma- Return target nonland permanent you control to it’s owner’s hand. If you do, draw a card for each blue symbol in that permanents mana cost.
-7: For each opponent, gain control of target permanent that player controls. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Chainer Planeswalker 3BB
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Put a 2/2 black Nightmare token with Wither onto the battlefield.
-2: “” deals damage to target creature equal to the number of swamps you control. You gain that much life.
-10: Exchange life totals with target player.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Horobi Planeswalker 2BB
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Up to three target creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
-2: Reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. You lose life equal to that card’s converted mana cost. You may repeat this process up to two additional times.
-10: Target player discards 10 cards, loses 10 life, and sacrifices 10 permanents.[/SPOILER]

[Spoiler]Lim-Dul Planeswalker 5BB
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Target opponent searches your library for two creature cards and reveals them. Shuffle your library, then choose one of the two cards. Put that card on top of your library, and the other into your graveyard.
-4: Destroy target nonartifact creature. It can't be regenerated. Put a black Spirit creature token with that creature's power and toughness onto the battlefield.
-10: Exile all cards in target player’s graveyard. Put a 3/3 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each creature card exiled in this way.[/Spoiler]

[SPOILER]Zo-Zu Planeswalker 1RR
Planeswalker (M)
-2: “” deals 2 damage to each creature.
-3: Destroy target nonbasic land.
-4: “” deals damage to target player equal to the number of cards in that player’s hand.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Omnath Planeswalker 2GGG
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Untap up to three target lands.
-5: Chroma- Reveal any number of cards in your hand. Add G to your mana pool for each green mana symbol in those cards' mana costs.
-12: You gain X life, where X is the amount of green mana in your mana pool.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Sasaya Planeswalker GGGG
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Search your library for a basic land card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
-4: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
-7: Put five tokens onto the battlefield that are a copy of target land.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Bolas Planeswalker UBR
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card of that color from it. That player discards that card.
-1: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice that creature.
-7: You draw five cards and you lose 5 life. Put an X/X black, red, and blue Djinn creature token with flying onto the battlefield, where X is the number of cards in your hand as the token enters the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Numot Planeswalker 2RWU
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Destroy all creatures that blocked and were blocked this turn
-2: “” deals 4 damage to target creature or player
-9: Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library, then draws seven cards.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Queen Planeswalker WUBRG
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 7
+2: Put a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token onto the battlefield.
-1: Choose a card type, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is the chosen type, put it into your hand. Otherwise exile it.
-12: Target opponent chooses four nonland cards in your graveyard in any combination. Separate those cards into two piles. That opponent exiles one of those piles. Put the other pile into your hand.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Teneb Planeswalker 1BGW
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
-X: Put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard, then return a permanent card from your graveyard with converted mana cost X to your hand.
-7: Exile all creature cards from your graveyard, then sacrifice all creatures you control, then put all cards exiled this way onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Triplets Planeswalker WUB
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Spells you control but don’t own can’t be countered this turn.
-2: Target player exiles a card from his or her hand. As long as “” remains on the battlefield, you may cast that card as though it were in your hand.
-8: You may spend U, W, and B mana as though it were mana of any color. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Vorosh Planeswalker 2GUB
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Return up to three target land cards from your graveyard to your hand.
-2: Discard a card. If you do, creatures target player controls become 0/2 and lose all abilities until end of turn.
-8: Choose a color. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards of that color. Then destroy all creatures of that color that player controls. They can’t be regenerated.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Reaper Planeswalker 2/W2/U2/B2/R2/G
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: X
“” enters the battlefield with a loyalty counter on it for each different color of mana spent to cast it.
+1: Return an artifact card at random from your graveyard to your hand.
-2: Exile up to two target nonartifact creatures. You lose five life.
-10: Sacrifice five artifacts. If you do, take two extra turns after this one.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Kangee Planeswalker 3W/UW/U
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Each player puts two 1/1 blue and white Bird creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-3: Birds you control have Vigilance and Lifelink until the end of turn.
-9: Birds you control have “T: Return target nonland permanent to it’s owner’s hand.” until end of turn.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Szadek Planeswalker U/BU/B
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 2
+1: Tap target permanent, then put the top X cards of that permanent controller’s library into the graveyard, where X is that permanent’s converted mana cost.
+1: Target creature gets -3/-3 until the end of turn.
-6: Target player’s maximum hand size is 0. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Kaervek Planeswalker 2B/RB/R
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Sacrifice a creature. If you sacrifice a red creature in this way, “” deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you sacrifice a black creature in this way, target opponent discards a card.
-1: Exile target card in a graveyard. If you do, put a 2/2 black and red Zombie token onto the battlefield.
-6: Return target creature card in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. That creature gains haste until the end of turn.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Ulasht Planeswalker 2R/GR/GR/G
Planeswalker (M)
Put two 2/1 red and green Beast tokens onto the battlefield.
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Those creatures gain trample until the end of turn.
Sacrifice all creatures you control. “” deals damage to target creature or player equal to the total power of the sacrificed creatures.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Tolsimir Planeswalker G/WG/W
Planeswalker (M)
-1: Put a 1/1 white Soldier token with  First Strike onto the battlefield.
-2: Put a 2/2 green Plant token with Trample onto the battlefield.
-3: Put a 3/3 white and green Spirit token with Flying onto the battlefield. [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Hassek the Solemn 2/B2/WW/BW/B
Planeswalker — Hassek  (M)
-1: Exile target card from a graveyard. If you do, put a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
-2: Name a card. Until the end of your next turn, the named card cannot be played.
-5: Destroy all creatures.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor U/RU/RU/R
Planeswalker — Jestus  (M)
Starting Loyalty: 2
Whenever you cast an Instant or Sorcery spell, put a loyalty counter on Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor.
T: Copy target Instant or Sorcery spell with a converted mana cost of X or less, where X is the number of loyalty counters on Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor.
-1: Jestus Dreya, Flamesculptor deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of spells cast this turn.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Stoutarm Planeswalker 3R/WR/W
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Target creature gets +3/+0 and gains First Strike until end of turn.
-2: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You gain X life, where X is that permanents converted mana cost.
-4: Put a 4/4 red and white Giant Warrior token onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Kraj Planeswalker G/U
Planeswalker (M)
Starting Loyalty: 1
+1: Reveal the top card of your library. If it is a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise put it into your hand.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains Graft 1. (It does not gain more than one counter in this way).
-4: Remove five +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control. If you do, draw four cards.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Alara Planeswalker 2RG/WU/B
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Choose a color. Add three mana of that color to your mana pool.
-1: Choose a type of counter on another target permanent. Put a counter of that type on that permanent.
-30: Target player loses the game.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Karona Planeswalker 2WU/BR/G
Planeswalker (M)
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter all creatures you control. Those creatures can’t attack this turn.
-1: Put two 1/1 colorless Human Ally tokens onto the battlefield.
-4: Exile all nontoken Ally creatures. Return them to the battlefield under their owner’s control at the beginning of the next end step.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Overlord Planeswalker 2UB/GR/W
Planeswalker (M)
+2: Shuffle target Sliver card in your graveyard into your library.
-4: Untap up to three target creatures you control.
-10: You get an emblem with “Abilities of Sliver creatures you control grant no benefits to Sliver cards, spells, or permanents your opponents control.”[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Uir Fyrdeus 2GW/UB/R
Planeswalker — Fyrdeus  (M)
Starting Loyalty: 6
+1: Target creature gains Deathtouch until the end of turn.
-2: Choose a creature type. Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may put all creature cards of the chosen type from among them into your hand. Shuffle the rest into your library.
-9: You may put up to two creature cards in your hand onto the battlefield.[/SPOILER]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:12:49 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]