Author Topic: When is a 3.0 source allowed in a 3.5 game??  (Read 1999 times)

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
When is a 3.0 source allowed in a 3.5 game??
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:14:46 AM »
I was recently reading thru an issue of dungeon mag and i came across the stat block for the main bad guy. He had levels in a prestige class, originally located in Masters of the Wild, a 3.0 book. So if a class or spell is not re-printed in a newer source, is it still relevant?
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: When is a 3.0 source allowed in a 3.5 game??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
In general, unupdated 3.0 stuff is considered 3.5 compatible, although some changes (such as DR/+1 turning into DR/magic, and action type alterations) may need to be made.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
Short answer: whenever your DM sez.

TML is right that typically non-updated stuff is legitimate, but there are weird exceptions that require someone to know both rule-sets to figure out.  For example, the Disciple of Dispater (Book of Vile Darkness) has an ability that modifies the threat range of a weapon, similar to Keen and Improved Crit, but it stacks with them.  Back in 3.0, all that stuff stacked.  In 3.5, it doesn't; however DoD doesn't specify that it doesn't stack.  So you get weird issues like that.

Other than that, a lot of 3.0 stuff was simply better than the 3.5 stealth nerfs that got published several years later (like most of Complete Warrior).  Talk to your DM and see if they'll allow the 3.0 version.  I know Order of the Bow Initiate was actually worth taking back in 3.0.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »
PHB, Page 4

WHY A REVISION?

"If you used the prior version of this book, rest assured that this revision is a testament to our dedication to continuous product improvement. We've updated errata, clarified rules, and made the game even better than it was. But also rest assured that this is an upgrade of the d20 system, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with this revision with only minor adjustments."

I take this to mean that 3.0 and 3.5 are compatible, that 3.0 sources can be used freely with 3.5, and that 3.5 revisions/rewrites and major rule changes supersede 3.0 resources but otherwise 3.0 stuff is fine as is.  

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
Officially yes, but theres no 'safe' general rule, the two games are similar but anchored on different assumptions. You'd have to look over the old material, compare with a suitable benchmark and make up your mind from there.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
Yeah, otherwise crap like Quicker than the Eye would be just fine, if the DM knew that a partial action translates into a standard or move action in 3.5.  There's no way that feat should exist when 3.0 Haste doesn't, but technically it was never rewritten.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
When is a 3.0 source allowed in a 3.5 game??
General Rules
0) When the DM says 3.0 sources can be used in a 3.5 game.
1) When there are no formal rewrites for the 3.0 source within a 3.5 source.
2) When there are no major RAW/RAI conflicts for the 3.0 source within 3.5 RAW/RAI.

PS
RAW: Rules as Written
RAI: Rules as Indented/Interpreted