Author Topic: Interesting game idea  (Read 24647 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Interesting game idea
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:57:54 AM »
Preface: I am not willing to run this, I just think it would be cool and would want to play.

I think it would be interesting for someone to run a game where every character is a psionic character.  And I mean psionic in the sense that every charact in Mister_Sinister's Fear the Unknown game(s) is a cleric.  Third party material is a must given the lack of psionic support WotC has put out.  I've never played a psionic character but I'm officially tired of traditional spellcasting and the uselessness of lower level spell slots.

So, does anyone else find the concept to be interesting?  All roles are easily filled, though granted you might end up with the lameness of "Psychic Rogue".  

Rules!

• Starting level 3
  • 36 Point Buy
  • Max hit points at first level, average after that (3.5 on a d6, for example). Or you can roll after first, if you'd prefer.
  • Wealth by level is basically thrown out the window. You can only use 8 attuned magic items at a time, anyway. See the House Rules link I posted above for details. Magic items will probably be rare, but I'm still grappling with this.
  • No flaws. 1 Trait. (If we decide to not include Tome feats, I will probably allow 2 flaws as well.)
  • Everyone has to be psionic somehow. If you're not otherwise psionic, you'll get Wild Talent for free. This automatically makes you a "criminal" in the eyes of the state, and in fact the game will begin with all of you being exiled.
  • Partial BAB and saves (see the House Rules thread for details. It is a bit different than unearthed arcana.)

• No item crafting feats. Everyone can craft one item of their level at every character level. No XP cost for item crafting. If you get an item crafting feat as a bonus from a class, pick another feat that is appropriate for that class instead.
  • Guidance of the Avatar is banned, because it makes most skill checks meaningless. The Dark Chaos feat shuffle, and buying magical location feats and retraining them are both right out also. Other similarly broken things will be banned too. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Leadership and other feats that grant one or more characters comparable to your own level will likely be banned. Classes which grant something like this will probably be allowed on a case-by-case basis, but I don't want to have to deal with armies of followers in combat. So figure out a way to leave them somewhere "off-screen", if you have them. I'd like to see at most one "cohort" for each PC (and prefer none).
  • Traditional spellcasting has become unavailable to most people, and is in fact impossible without a special "focus", access to which the government heavily regulates. Psionics work just fine, but are outlawed. I think I'll say that racial spellcasting abilities also work, but will also likewise be outlawed (psionics will be a subset of racial spellcasting).
  • Custom setting, but most materials available. (All official D&D, and homebrew on a case by case basis)

We'll be using most of what is contained in the link I posted above (my House Rules thread), but whether we'll be using Tome classes and feats is still undecided.

I'm debating on giving everyone the benefits of something like Vow of Poverty (minus the bonus feats), but reflavoring it to be a racial bonus that comes from being psionic. Basically, I want you guys to have appropriate bonuses even if we make magic items very rare.

Magic items rules and other houserules mentioned
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:28:02 PM by Nanshork »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

endgamecutter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Interesting game idea
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »
clarification: you mean everyone is capable of psionics (with a build focused on psionic classes obviously) or simply everyone's a psion? Either way it could be interesting. 'Course I (unfortunately) wouldn't be able to DM seeing as I lack the skills and patience to write up a decent plot, encounters etc. (last time I tried a group of level 1s were fighting a flaming BADGER that grew a size category every round. Then a small scale mecha. To be fair the stats weren't nearly as high as they would be on such creatures but they were still waaay too strong)
there is roughly a 99% chance that this post is an obscure reference to SOMETHING.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
And I mean psionic in the sense that every charact in Mister_Sinister's Fear the Unknown game(s) is a cleric. 

I am starting quite the trend... :P

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:23 AM »
Well, theres also the All Bard setup...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
"All psionic" is a bit more flexible than "all cleric". Transferrable power points added to the ability to manifest each others' powers leads to interesting results.

This can be pretty interesting.

EDIT: I'd like to submit these for consideration
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5398
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8360
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:38:31 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
Allowing some psionic variants of PrCs would help fill in some of the holes for support.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
Apparently in the middle of the night I'm incapable of fleshing my ideas out properly. 

By all psionic I mean every character uses psionics, not everyone is a psion.  For example: Dreamscarred Press put out the Worldthough Medic, a variant on the Society Mind.  It makes an excellent healing and support character.  They also have a psionic version of the Monk and created other base classes.  Reading through their books is what prompted this idea.

Prime: Those are some interesting house-rules you've developed there.  We just need a DM to approve them.

On the other hand, I guess somebody could just start a game and let me run a psion.  That'd work too I guess.  I just thought that making a post saying "Hey, somebody want to let me join a game as a psion?" sounded a bit underwhelming.  :P
Notes to self

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
We'll need a Tashalatora, a Big Guy, and...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Prime: I don't hear your argument. Clerics can do anything with the right spell selection. How are psionic characters more flexible on that basis?

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »
More base classes imo.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
Too bad nobody is running.

I'd like to play an Inspired.  :lol
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:32 AM »
Prime: I don't hear your argument. Clerics can do anything with the right spell selection. How are psionic characters more flexible on that basis?

Despite the larger basic variety of using just "psionic" versus just "cleric," I'd have to agree and say Cleric is simply a much better/stronger base to build from. Mister Sinister's House Rules make it easier, but even without them, cleric is such a solid base class that it can be used for any role in a party.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:50 AM »
So who wants to run this?

Its like Fear the Unknown: Psionic Edition
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
Well, for monotypes, Psions(no, not psionics, Psion the class) would be more blasty than the cleric equivalent(lacking the 3/4 BAB and proficiencies to make their default ability to break face).
If you open up to psionic in general, I would actually have to say they can represent a wider range of archetypes than the clerical version, considering that other than SCM, theres little that can perform as a classic arcanist on the cleric side, while the psionic side covers that and wilders/psywars cover tanking.
Pure Psions meanwhile, would to be worse off overall, but still compelling

Wizard Academy on the other hand might have trouble doing similar.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
This would definitely be interesting. Hell it could even be set up the same as fear the unknown and have a quadruple crossover. Perhaps adjust it a bit to say that psionics won't work unless you have a demigod or greater keeping the deities of magic from trying to stomp it out since it is competition for them.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Hey, mind magic is still magic!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »
Hey, mind magic is still magic!
Yes but it is sooo much cooler than waggling your fingers and speaking gibberish that the deities of regular magic get jealous. And since it is Wizards of the Coast they can't allow anything to be cooler than them so they beat Psi with a nerf bat so hard that it is safe for toddlers to play with, then they feed the regular magics steroids just in case. :lol
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »
Nice to see that my idea is gaining in popularity.   :P

Anybody actually want to run this?  Or run something?   :D
Notes to self

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »
The usual suspects are rather tied up with game though.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
someone really needs to run this now. I've already got an idea and it is going to kill me to just sit on it for months.