Author Topic: (3.5) A handful of house rules.  (Read 3527 times)

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
(3.5) A handful of house rules.
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
I thought about it for a while and decided to post up my own house rules for your viewing and discussion.

1. When making a full attack any character may as much as they want in a round so long is it doesn't exceed the character's move rate. This includes movement inbetween attacks. Use of the Cleave feat adds to your movement per round.
2. All psionic powers are refered to as sorcery and all psionic classes are similarly reflavored. Psion becomes sorcerer, psychic warrior is mystic knight, ardent is battle magi (warrior preist/sorcerer) and the psychic rogue is called the thaumaturgic assassin.
3. Ardents/battle magi may not take opposing alignment mantles unless they themselves are neutral on that axis.
4. Polymorph grants the creature's physical ability bonuses not the scores. It also only allows for transforming into creatures from tiny to huge in size.
5. While magic items can be bought and sold, the availability of specific enchanted objects in specific cities varries. You are not guaranteed any particular magic item or weapon. If you want a perticular item or weapon then I'll let you specifically quest for it. Whether the quest involves combat and exploration, haggling or just plain old theft is up to you.
6. Only offensive and utilty spells can be enchanted into wands while only healing and personal or single target buff spells can be made into potions. At the same time all level limits are lifted from both wands and potions.
7. Also priestly magical items are unusable by divine magic users opposed to the crafter's deity. This extends to scrolls too.
8. The Brew Potion feat allows you to brew any kind of potion you have the proper ingrediants for. You don't have to be part of a particular class to brew potions of its spells.
9. There is no Conjuration (Healing) subschool. Its dead and buried now. Instead we have the Necromancy (Healing) subschool. There's a big difference.
10. The Cure x Wounds line of spells heals a number of hitpoints worth of damage equal to the spell's minimum caster level in d8s. So while Cure Light Wounds and its mass version would be left the same both normal and Mass Cure Moderate Wound would heal 3d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +15). Cure Serious Wounds heals 5d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +25) while Cure Critical Wounds heals points of damage 7d8 +1 point per caster level (maximum +35). It won't overpower them by any means, just make them that much more useful.
11. Both Natural Spell and Persistant Spell are now what I like to call Superhero tiered feats. That means you have to be at least 16th level to learn either feat.
12. The base amount treasure acquired is doubled. This however only applies to "lair" found treasure. Individual treasure is typically half to full standard per monster/NPC. The term lair could also is expanded to mean storeroom or vault. This means that in a particualrly well-funded and maintained thieves' den or bank you might find dozens of such "lairs" if you would. The encounter level the for stash like this is typically equal to leader's or manager's level or is baed on the difficulty of theft. In some cases you can add to the treasure trove level based on the owner's social status. NPC aristocrats have a wealth level bonus equal to one fifth thier level.
13. The costs of all potions, as opposed to grenades, are now one fifth the DMG/SRD costs. So now your 50 potions of cure light wounds only cost 500 gold pieces.
14. All potions are divided into two major categories, potions and grenades. Potions are limited to necromancy (other than clone or trap the soul) and transmution, while grenades are limited to evocation and certain non-summoning conjuration. Evard's black tenticles don't count.
15. The warblade and crusader classes do not exist. Thier maneuver progressions are kept and are given to the fighter class instead. In other words fighter is a full initiating class with either warblade or crusader maneuvers and maneuver progression. Also, paladins automatically get crusader progression while rangers get warblade progression.
16. The barbarian class no longer exists. Instead Rage and its improved versions are now fighter bonus feats.
17. Weapon specialization is a worthwhile class ability and not a crappy feat.
18. I'll also make most prestige class abilities into feats for whatever base classes are best suited to them.
19. Divine Metamagic does not exist.
20. Feats are gained every two levels after level one. This doesn't include the first level feat or any bonus feats.
21. Nightsticks do not exist either.
22. Smite evil uses Pathfinder rules and grants the weapon used the ghost touch property.
23. Lay on Hands heals a number of hit points per day equal to paladin level x Charisma bonus x 2.
24. Paladinic remove disease and disease immunity affects all non-Godlike tier diseases.
25. At 13th level a paladins weekly uses of remove disease are multiplied by the paladin's Charisma modifier.
26. Paladins gain spellcasting ability at 6th level and have a caster level equal to that of a cleric five levels lower.
27. Any divine spell from 0 to 4th allowed to a Good aligned cleric is allowed to paladins, within reason. This is in addition to paladin only spells.
28. Paladins are spontaneous caster and follow this advancement pattern.

Paladin spells per day
Paladin Level0 level1st level2nd level3rd level4th level
6th53---
7th64---
8th653--
9th664--
10th6653-
11th6664-
12th66653
13th66664
14th66665
15th66666
16th66666
29. At 7th level a paladin's divine grace extends to a 10' radius. At 12th level both Aura of Courage and Divine Grace extend to a 30' radius.

More to come.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:12:09 PM by Agrippa »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: (3.5) A handful of house rules.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »
1. When making a full attack any character may take any number of move actions in a round so long is it doesn't exceed the character's move rate. Use of the Cleave feat adds to your movement per round.
So, to make sure I'm understanding this: if I can make two attacks on a full attack and I can move 30 feet, then I can move 10 feet, attack once, move ten more feet, attack again, and them move the final ten feet?

That's not bad.  I've seen people more than once suggest a full attack as a standard action, and this is even more permissive.

6. Only offensive and utilty spells can be enchanted into wands while only healing and personal or single target buff spells can be made into potions. At the same time all level limits are lifted from both wands and potions.
So, you can make potions of Heal?  That'd actually be worth a potion, although it'd be costly!

8. The Brew Potion feat allows you to brew any kind of potion you have the proper ingrediants for. You don't have to be part of a particular class to brew potions of its spells.
Does this mean Fighters can make Potions of Heal if they take the feat?  Sweet!

10. The Cure x Wounds line of spells heals a number of hitpoints worth of damage equal to the spell's minimum caster level in d8s. So while Cure Light Wounds and its mass version would be left the same both normal and Mass Cure Moderate Wound would heal 3d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +15). Cure Serious Wounds heals 5d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +25) while Cure Critical Wounds heals points of damage 7d8 +1 point per caster level (maximum +35). It won't overpower them by any means, just make them that much more useful.
It certainly makes them better, but still not crazy-good.  I don't see a problem with this.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
1. When making a full attack any character may take any number of move actions in a round so long is it doesn't exceed the character's move rate. Use of the Cleave feat adds to your movement per round.
So, to make sure I'm understanding this: if I can make two attacks on a full attack and I can move 30 feet, then I can move 10 feet, attack once, move ten more feet, attack again, and them move the final ten feet?

That's not bad.  I've seen people more than once suggest a full attack as a standard action, and this is even more permissive.

That's precisely my intent.

So, you can make potions of Heal?  That'd actually be worth a potion, although it'd be costly!

Which is why I made the rules change in the first place.

Does this mean Fighters can make Potions of Heal if they take the feat?  Sweet!

I never intended to allow fighters to brew any type of potion. But I'm going to now.

It certainly makes them better, but still not crazy-good.  I don't see a problem with this.

Then I did exactly what I set out to do.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Have you tried these out yet, or are you looking for advice before running the game?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »
Have you tried these out yet, or are you looking for advice before running the game?

I'd like some advice first.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
Okay, one-by-one look....
I like it, albeit it makes spring attack very nearly even more pointless. Remove that feat, and references to it as a prereq?
2. All psionic powers are refered to as sorcery and all psionic classes are similarly reflavored. Psion becomes sorcerer, psychic warrior is mystic knight, ardent is battle magi (warrior preist/sorcerer) and the psychic rogue is called the thaumaturgic assassin.
Should work fine.
3. Ardents/battle magi may not take opposing alignment mantles unless they themselves are neutral on that axis.
Dunno about that, can't make a lawful aligned good-and-evil zen mystic? Maybe say "within 1 step of alignment."
4. Polymorph grants the creature's physical ability bonuses not the scores. It also only allows for transforming into creatures from tiny to huge in size.
More math... but it's math for polymorph users, so fine.
5. While magic items can be bought and sold, the availability of specific enchanted objects in specific cities varries. You are not guaranteed any particular magic item or weapon. If you want a perticular item or weapon then I'll let you specifically quest for it. Whether the quest involves combat and exploration, haggling or just plain old theft is up to you.
Yeah. Isn't that very nearly the default, even?
Makes sense.
7. Also priestly magical items are unusable by divine magic users opposed to the crafter's deity. This extends to scrolls too.
Sure, why not.
Surely you need to know or access the spell, as a scroll or otherwise? Or do you increase DC by 5 for each missing prerequisite? :)
9. There is no Conjuration (Healing) subschool. Its dead and buried now. Instead we have the Necromancy (Healing) subschool. There's a big difference.
*applause*
A good one.
11. Both Natural Spell and Persistant Spell are now what I like to call Superhero tiered feats. That means you have to be at least 16th level to learn either feat.
Well.. I dunno, I mean, you get the best(worst) use out of persistant at high levels, anyway... Sure, why not. Especially if you don't nerf wildshape.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »
An easier way to handle Natural Spell is to turn it into a metamagic feat that increases the level slot of the spell by one.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:16 AM »
For potion rules I was thinking about something along the lines of this combined with Brew Potion feat for any one who wants and can afford it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
For potion rules I was thinking about something along the lines of this combined with Brew Potion feat for any one who wants and can afford it.
The idea is interesting, and I certainly agree with his stance on things.  I haven't given the specific rules much thought, but it basically seems like a non-class specific version of Scribe Scroll that doesn't cost a feat and is at a forced, slower progression.

Does he list how much those things cost?  Even if it requires a certain character level to craft, you don't want 2nd level guys stocking up on Evard's Black Tentacles bombs.  With a well thought out cost, they'll have about the same impact on a game as scrolls or wands, so nothings really breaking there other than that the non-casters will get to have some of the fun.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
Only offensive and utilty spells can be enchanted into wands while only healing and personal or single target buff spells can be made into potions. At the same time all level limits are lifted from both wands and potions.

This is actually really bad. Horrible-bad. Wands are the most cost-effective healing items there are. Potions are terrible for healing.

Let me spell this out (pardon the pun):

A wand of CLW costs 750gp and heals an average of 250hp over the course of 50 charges.
A potion of CLW costs 50gp and heals an average of 5hp with a single use.
The price to just pay a 1st level Cleric Healer to cast Cure Minor Wounds is 5gp. It will heal you 3hp (if they are using the Elite Array) or 5hp (if they are optimized by the DM/PCs).

A potion of CLW costs 10 times as much as just paying an NPC to heal you. Even if a PC crafts these potions, they are still going to cost around 5 times as much as the NPC will.

There's the problem. Either turn potions into a 3-5 charges/day (to make them somewhat more useful) or just allow wands. Otherwise your PCs are going to be spending a huge chunk of their WBL on items they will only use once.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »
The problem with that is NPCs aren't always available, but you can take potions with you, and you're supposed to get reimbursed for expendables in the WBL system.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
The problem with that is NPCs aren't always available, but you can take potions with you, and you're supposed to get reimbursed for expendables in the WBL system.

I have never seen that.  Expendables are treasure just like everything else, I've never been reimbursed for using them any more than I have for using a scroll or a staff or a wand or anything else with limited uses.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

I have never seen that.  Expendables are treasure just like everything else, I've never been reimbursed for using them any more than I have for using a scroll or a staff or a wand or anything else with limited uses.

Theoretically speaking, the spells contained in consumables are supposed to pay for themselves by helping you win an encounter and get more treasure (the treasure being the compensation for the effort and resources you spend beating it). It just doesn't work out in practice, as consumables are far more expensive than the treasure you get on average.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
The idea is interesting, and I certainly agree with his stance on things.  I haven't given the specific rules much thought, but it basically seems like a non-class specific version of Scribe Scroll that doesn't cost a feat and is at a forced, slower progression.

Does he list how much those things cost?  Even if it requires a certain character level to craft, you don't want 2nd level guys stocking up on Evard's Black Tentacles bombs.  With a well thought out cost, they'll have about the same impact on a game as scrolls or wands, so nothings really breaking there other than that the non-casters will get to have some of the fun.

I'd suppose that you'd be limited to necromancy (other than clone or trap the soul) and transmution for potions, evocation and certain non-summoning conjuation for grenades.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »

I have never seen that.  Expendables are treasure just like everything else, I've never been reimbursed for using them any more than I have for using a scroll or a staff or a wand or anything else with limited uses.
There's two ways I get that:

1) The WBL description states thats how much wealth the PCs should have at any given level, not how much they should have had.  I can see the argument that any expendable that creates a permanent effect (like a Manual or Tome) would still count in that you're still benefiting from it.  A wand charge?  Not so much.

2) Take a look at the average treasure value per encounter table (DMG p 51).  Remember that the game figures 13 1/3 encounters to gain a level and four party members.  Now if you run the numbers on the table (multiply by # of encounters and divide by # PCs; this simplifies to 40/12), you come out ahead of the WBL table.  Perhaps that difference is to make up for consumables.

Here are some numbers:

So, compare the calculated treasure per level (using the math above: multiply the avg treasure per encounter by 40/12) to the WBL of the next level.  Now, we have to track this level by level, adding it up.  This is the cumulative treasure by level total.  Also note that this doesn't take your 1st level starting gold into account.

Level   Avg Treasure      Calculated   Cumulative   WBL at
                          Treasure     Treasure     next
        per Encounter     per Level    per Level    level      
4       1,200             4,000        10,000       9,000

See?  Every level, the difference between what is handed out and what the game expects is greater and greater.  You're expected to blow some money on things other than permanent wealth.  This is all the nights at the inn, the beer, the hookers, and the wand charges.

Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
RobbyPants: I've never quite thought about wealth by level like that before. But I did the math and it makes sense. I've also added a few more new house rules.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
So, you're rolling the crusader and warblade into the paladin and fighter?  Is this on top of their class abilities?

What do you mean by the part where you say Weapon Specialization is a class feature and not a crappy feat?  Does the fighter get this for free?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Agrippa

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 01:29:39 AM »
So, you're rolling the crusader and warblade into the paladin and fighter?  Is this on top of their class abilities?

They basically just get the maneuvers and recovery systems, that's all.

What do you mean by the part where you say Weapon Specialization is a class feature and not a crappy feat?  Does the fighter get this for free?

Yes, the fighter class gets weapons specialization for free.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »

They basically just get the maneuvers and recovery systems, that's all.
In the long run, I don't think it will hurt anything, but at low levels, these guys will likely seem overpowered.  Well, maybe the fighter, but not the paladin.  The fighter is basically a martial adept with bonus feats, so they'll be a solid two level dip, and they will be strong at low levels.  The paladin actually won't be much better than a normal crusader.  Things like Divine Grace are pretty cool, but most of the rest of the paladin's features aren't that great, and they're not gaining the Steely Resolve ability of the crusader, which is what makes them so tough.

This will probably be fine, but this fighter will largely be better than the warblade.  Thus, this fighter will typically be better than the paladin.

Yes, the fighter class gets weapons specialization for free.
Cool.  The nice thing is (I'm assuming), this will qualify the fighter for some of those nicer feats like Weapon Mastery and Supremacy without having to blow several feats.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]