Author Topic: Help Me Build My First Cleric! RKV Wee-Jas Build  (Read 2658 times)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Help Me Build My First Cleric! RKV Wee-Jas Build
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
I'm finally building a cleric, and it's my second venture into the realm of the Big 3 (I've done wizards before, but not druids or, until now, clerics).
It'll be for this game, started by Mister_sinister a ways back, and as I was to fill the Greyhawk or FR slot, I decided Greyhawk. And as I noticed it's a high-powered probable campaign, I decided to go for a bit of a powerhouse in the form of the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Now, the rules are all here for character creation (there's a lot of fluff rules, but also rules like everyone automatically has power attack with a constant 1:2 ratio regardless of weapons, as well as improved combat expertise), and I'm intending to limit myself to the assumption that RKV only gives one extra action per round. Aside from that, I intend to go min/maxed, and so have come for some suggestions.

The guide is wonderful, but I'm looking for practiced cleric users. What were the best uses of turning/swift actions, since it seems I'll have 2 swift/round in two levels time? As I'm trying to be a bit stealthier, what armor worked well for your cleric? Favorite, must have spells for a sneaky cleric worshipping the goddess of death and magic? Basically, I'd love some experienced suggestions and from-the-field responses.

My build thus far is the spell heavy build, going Crusader 1 / Cleric 4 / RKV 5 (ECL 10 starting off). We don't have LA buyoff per se, though the DM is willing to neuter races to playable, non LA levels, just so we keep up. I'm still hunting for a dark-themed race, thinking about hitting up a duskling to ee about the awesomeness that can be. I'm not going to be a tank, per se; I do intend to be buffed to hell and supporting combat, while protecting a shadowcraft mage, so keep that in mind if you have suggestions. And I might get to ride on his scorpion too.  :D

Any suggestions for what YOU would do with this character idea? Brainstorming is wonderful, "you suck, n00b" comments will be noted.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Re: Help Me Build My First Cleric! RKV Wee-Jas Build
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:46:35 PM »

Don't go Crusader 1/Cleric 4/RKV 5!!!

Instead go Cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV 5.

Take the Crusader level after the Cleric levels. Every 2 levels in a non Martial Adept class gives 1 Initiator Level, meaning you will have access to higher level maneuvers with your first level of Crusader if you take it after the Cleric levels.

Since you're starting at 10th level, the order of class levels doesn't matter. So mess it around to the greatest benefit.

Considering your house rules, Cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV 5 looks pretty sweet. 9th level Cleric spellcasting, access to maneuvers as an 8th level Martial Adept and access to Devoted Spirit + Shadow Hand + Stone Dragon + and White Raven disciplines, 9 BAB.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »
Don't go Crusader 1/Cleric 4/RKV 5!!!

Instead go Cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV 5.
:facepalm Thaaaat's something I should've caught, lol.

Only sadness is that, while I have a fine selection of spells, I have only a handful of maneuvers. I suppose, as I'll be nearby an ally, some white raven couldn't hurt, and a shadowhand maneuver for concealment is always nice (does child of shadow ever stop being useful?). Oh, and the required devoted spirit, of course. Meh, likes my maneuvers.

So, wee jas doesn't have travel as a domain, so I can't abuse travel devotion. Any other uses for sudden swift actions I may be overlooking?

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
You can still take Travel Devotion as a regular feat if you don't mind doing it that way.