Author Topic: elan psion, or kalashtar soulknife?  (Read 8174 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: elan psion, or kalashtar soulknife?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »

the PrC that adds Wis to Attack and Damage is ... Shiba Protector:

THE SHIBA PROTECTOR
The warriors of the Shiba family are sworn to protect the Isawa family, just as the first Shiba swore to protect the Isawa family while its leader ventured into the Shadowlands with Shinsei . For a thousand years the descendants of Shiba have pursued this duty, giving them a clear sense of purpose that defines their family character.They pursue this duty with the aid of rigorous military training, combined with a spiritual discipline that grants them a keen awareness of magic's ebb and flow, allowing them to heighten its effects on themselves, resist it more strongly, or even shrug it off entirely. Shiba protectors are almost exclusively drawn from the samurai character class . Young Shiba protectors serve a period in the Home Guard, patrolling Phoenix lands and defending them from any threat . As they advance, some choose to become yojimbo (bodyguards), assigned to protect an individual courtier or dignitary. It is in this capacity that the Shibas truly excel, and where their vow to defend their fellow Phoenix shines most clearly.
Hit Die: d10.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Shiba protector, a character must fulfill all the following criteria .
Race: Human (Phoenix Clan) .
Base Attack Bonus: +5 .
Skills : Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks .
Feats : Alertness, Expertise, Iron Will.

CLASS SKILLS
The Shiba protector's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Sir), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str). See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions. The Iaijutsu Focus skill is described in Chapter 4 ofthis book.
Skill Points at Each Level : 2 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
The following are class features of the Shiba protector.

Medium BAB
Good Fort and Will Saves
d10 HD

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shiba protectors do not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiency.

No Thought (Ex): Shiba protectors add their Wisdom modifier, if positive, to their attack and damage rolls.

Aid Shugenja (Su) : At 2nd level, a Shiba protector can use her own personal energy to empower a shugenja's spell when she is the target of that spell. The spell is treated as if the shugenja had used the Empower Spell metamagic feat, including the longer casting time . The Shiba protector can use this ability once per day at 2nd level, twice per day at 4th level, three times per day at 6th level, and four times per day at 8th level. He must make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 10) to enhance the spell. A failed check does not count as a use of the ability. At 8th level and above, the protector can apply the Maximize Spell feat to spells cast on her instead. The Spellcraft DC is 15 . She must decide before any applicable dice are rolled whether she wishes to maximize or empower the spell. A Shiba protector cannot empower an already empowered spell, or maximize an already maximized one.

Dancing with the Elements (Ex) : Beginning at 3rd level, a Shiba protector gains a bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like effects. This bonus is +2 at 3rd level, +4 at 5th level, and +6 at 7th level.

One with Nothing (Su): Three times per day, a Shiba protector of 6th level or higher can fall into a trance that allows her to perform actions quickly but with perfect clarity. For a single round, the samurai can act as if under the effect of a haste spell.

Diamond Soul (Ex) : At 9th level, a Shiba protector gains spell resistance equal to 20 + her Wisdom modifier. In order to affect the Shiba protector with a spell, a spellcaster must roll the protector's spell resistance or higher on 1d20 + the spellcaster's level.

One with All and Nothing(Sp) :A Shiba protector of 10th level has recognized the deep truth that all her ability scores spring from the same essence. In a moment of perfect clarity, she can use her highest ability score modifier when making a skill check, attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, in place of the ability score modifier she would normally use. Thus, she could add her Wisdom modifier to a damage roll instead of her Strength modifier, her Charisma modifier to her Reflex saving throw instead of her Dexterity modifier, or her intelligence modifier to her Spot check instead of her Wisdom modifier. The Shiba protector can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her highest ability score modifier.

:D

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »
are Flaws allowed?

how much is the starting gold set at?

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
@carnivore: any chance the dragon mag 3.5 update (one of the few dragon sources consistently allowed) nixed the race and clan requirements for that prestige?

and thank you for posting that! as it is written, i don't think i could justify it in an eberron campaign. ^^

i'll have to ask about flaws, and i believe starting gold is either roll it, or max for first level. again, i'll ask.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:16:53 PM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
i didnt check ... will look for it

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
See ... this is why I don't know everything.
Who you gonna call? Carnivore (ghostbusters) !

Eberron + (phoenix clan) can't be eliminated ...
the old "if it exists in d&d book, it exists in Eberron" thingy.
Besides, the phoenix clan might be expansionist.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 03:04:46 AM »
well, in an interesting twist, i wound up going with an ask the dm to let me change to a human erudite after the first session. fortunately, such a change will not require any retcon but my character sheet.

i decided that i wanted to have the linked power and metapower feat trick, plus being able to vigor and share pain with a psicrystal soonest. i chose syncronicity as the metapower and linked power as the metapowered metapsionic feat. ^^

new dm, but i'll try not to abuse it.

much.

it does handily endrun the erudites major class limitation. especially when there is no other caster at all in the party, which makes me feel justified in taking the spellpower alternate class feature.

=D

Never game alone again!

Dawnmor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
i'm open to suggestions. =D

Sense your Warforged fighter could essentially need a healer, I highly suggest going artificer to be honest.  Thats what I would do.  Or get the Repair version of the healing belt or somesuch like that from MIC.  Except it can repair you and if you can get it to repair flesh go for it :).

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
Thrallherd, if you have leveled up, and are still playing    :dogpile
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
If you are still interested in an Elan Psion, which I highly recommend, I would suggest using the Illithid Slayer from Expanded Psionics Handbook and Anarchic Initiate from Complete Psionic.  I could point you to some notorious builds based around these classes, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.  Elan Psions, however, are particularly hard to kill, with Psionics to protect them, and their racial abilities as a fallback. 

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 04:18:23 AM »
If you are still interested in an Elan Psion, which I highly recommend, I would suggest using the Illithid Slayer from Expanded Psionics Handbook and Anarchic Initiate from Complete Psionic.  I could point you to some notorious builds based around these classes, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.  Elan Psions, however, are particularly hard to kill, with Psionics to protect them, and their racial abilities as a fallback. 
im interested u have links?
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 03:05:21 AM »
im interested u have links?

The Chrono Legionnaire (just search for 'chrono' without quotes):
http://web.archive.org/web/20071216030315/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-626146

The King of Smack
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866038/The_king_of_smack.

The Chrono-Legionnaire is the less sketchy of the two.  Even though it makes use of some odd combos and house rules (valorous halberd modified to act like a lance), it doesn't rely on them like the King does.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 04:38:59 AM »
i'm always interested in links. =D

and yes still playing, no haven't leveled yet. i was planning to go thrallherd, but i will have to look some of these other things over. quite interesting!
Never game alone again!