Author Topic: Why?  (Read 4511 times)

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Why?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:57 AM »
Heh, my current Assassin is fixing that with a couple of levels of Unseen Seer to use Advanced Learning to get Hunter's Eye.

+7d6 SA by 20th level, which totals 19d6 SA in general, is just nice.

What was the record for SA dice by level 20 again?  Something like 40d6?

Also, 19d6 SA dice calls for Precise strike.  15d6 and +8 to hit.  or 12d6 and +14 to hit.  wheeeeeeee...
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
Assassin is a prestige class in the DMG that isn't for full spellcasters.

It doesn't get nice things. It especially doesn't get nice spells.

As for why Wizards get sneak attack spells... No idea. Someone was smoking recreational drugs.
Because WotC has a hard-on for full prepared casters.

Although, they do seem to hate sorcerers for some reason too, but just not as badly as they hate non-full-casters.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
Hunter's eye + iaijutsu focus + vampiric touch + coup de grace + high hp summon = stupidly high temp hp for an hour, since extra damage stuck onto vampiric touch still counts for the temp hp.
I have to admit I'm a fan of the nightmare blades. Ruby for instance can be picked up at the 16th level for 15,000gp.
So take your above figure, then double it.
:)

What was the record for SA dice by level 20 again?  Something like 40d6?

Also, 19d6 SA dice calls for Precise strike.  15d6 and +8 to hit.  or 12d6 and +14 to hit.  wheeeeeeee...
Counting by what?
Assassins Stance + Custom Legacy + Deadly Percision (CAd) + Bracers of the Hunter + Rogue's Vest + Mantle of the Predator = +10d6.
Shapechange(gloom) = +13d6
Red Mage Circle Magic or w/e for a Wand of Hunter's Eye(cl 40) = +13d6.
Add Craven.
There is +36d6+20 SA without class abilities.

Oh and the The 146 average is almost equal to 42d6, yeahee Craven! :)

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
I'm not trying to break any records here; my party is not very optimized, so only 19d6+20 damage should be fine.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Awkward Map

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »
Quote from: Amechra
I've always wondered why Vinestrike, Gravestrike, and that one spell that let's you SA constructs aren't on the Assassin spell list.

It comes down to Complete Adventurer trying to advocate really dumb multiclassing choices like Druid/Rogue (Vinestrike), Cleric/Rogue (Gravestrike), and Wizard/Rogue (Golemstrike).  I guess the idea is for the Daggerspell Mage/Shapers to have nice things.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
Quote from: Amechra
I've always wondered why Vinestrike, Gravestrike, and that one spell that let's you SA constructs aren't on the Assassin spell list.

It comes down to Complete Adventurer trying to advocate really dumb multiclassing choices like Druid/Rogue (Vinestrike), Cleric/Rogue (Gravestrike), and Wizard/Rogue (Golemstrike).  I guess the idea is for the Daggerspell Mage/Shapers to have nice things.

Rogue/wizard is a great multiclass option.  Just don't take more than 1 level of rogue.  (2 levels if your DM is really mean and feign death will save your butt)
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Epoch16

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 11:40:39 PM »
Errata:

*tear*
Do you really need Telling Blow? Even at a 15~20/x4 crit and saying it fully multiplies SA I'd rather just pick up Darkstalker or an Ambush feat or something. A standard SA build sports close to +20d6+20 per hit & TWF so you'll be dealing 700+ per round with a full waithstrike attack anyway. The Big T has the most HP of nonlisted-as-epic-monsters I think and it only has 850ish.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]