Author Topic: When are you considered wielding a weapon?  (Read 1219 times)

feyanor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
When are you considered wielding a weapon?
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Ok, basicially read the title :).

When is a character considered to be wielding a specific weapon(for example for the purpose of iajutsu master ac bonus, pls no discussion on this prC or OA)?
Some possible answers I thought off.

1. He is holding it.
2. He is holding it and has attacked in the same round.
3. He is holding it and has attacked since drawing it.
4. He is carrying it with him in a rdy postion(sheathed on the belt...) and is not flatfooted therefore able to actually attack in a short time. This point as it stands seems unlikely, but gets grey when the character has quickdraw or  any other way of drawing as a free action, since he could technically attack in the same move as drawing, which would make it the same situation as point 1.

Thanks for your thoughts.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: When are you considered wielding a weapon?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
I personally think it's when you're holding a weapon with a limb capable of using it as intended. Holding it in your teeth probably doesn't count unless it's a mouthpick weapon or you're just that awesome.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: When are you considered wielding a weapon?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
I personally think it's when you're holding a weapon with a limb capable of using it as intended. Holding it in your teeth probably doesn't count unless it's a mouthpick weapon or you're just that awesome.
+1.

The additional prerequisites in answers 2 and 3 don't make much sense to me, and carrying something with you isn't really 'wielding'. Even if you can draw a weapon as a free action, you can still only do that on your turn, so it becomes an important distinction to make when there's a surprise round and/or you're using a weapon that gives you bonuses right at the start of combat that expire after Init is rolled (such as an Eager or Warning weapon).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation