Author Topic: Let me borrow your brain  (Read 1279 times)

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Let me borrow your brain
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
One of the things going on in the game I GM is that a bunch of Elan commandos/adventurers have started roaming the world and causing various calibers of havoc. There's more to it than that, of course, but I don't want to give too much away in case my players browse by. I made some builds for a few of these Elan, but I don't know psionics that well (I've read the books and the handbooks, but don't have any play experience), and I don't want all my builds to come out looking mostly the same. The idea is to have distinct characters, and classes like the various psion disciplines, psychic warrior, ardent, and even erudite (I can't figure out how to make it good without having it be broken) lend themselves very well to different styles and themes.

With that in mind, I've come here for help, hoping that you guys can help me by contributing some of your favourite builds. I'd like to keep cheese to medium, if you don't mind. The PCs are moderately min/maxed, but most nova tactics will probably blow them away pretty fast. Extra gratitude for builds which are playable from 5-20, and for builds that can go all day, rather than being novas.

Basic Guidelines:
They have to be Elan. Try to avoid templates.
Minimum level 5, flaws and traits allowed. Any 3.5 book is allowed, as well as 3.5 WotC online sources, and feats and variants from Dragon Magazine.
The relevant houserules are that feats are gained at first and then at every even level (1, 2, 4, 6...), multiclassing penalties are not enforced, and magic weapons/armor don't require a minimum +1 enhancement bonus before adding special abilities (characters get +1 enhancement to hit/damage every 4 levels instead, lets magic items be cooler).

Notes:
I'd like to focus on psionic builds, because this is partly a way of kicking off psionics in my campaign. That said, as long as there's a psionic base, multiclass to your heart's content. I'm inclined toward psychic warriors who use the Call Weapon variant from Mind's Eye (who needs Soulknives anymore?), but the 1 round manifesting time seems a little prohibitive for combat. There might be a way to bypass it (linked power?), but I'm not sure. I had a notion for a gunslinger-style kineticist, but I'm not sure how to make it (and psionic blasting in general) worthwhile.

Hopefully I've answered all the relevant questions, and I look forward to getting some help brainstorming some builds.
This space intentionally left blank.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Let me borrow your brain
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
Since all psionic manifestations are technically also psi-like abilities, you could argue that they can use mortalbane via transparency between psi-like and spell-like.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
Oh, a kineticist can be terrifyingly fun as a blaster. Solicit Psycrystal with a couple of Overchanneled Energy Currents and you're golden. Energy Missile is also fun.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
If you use incarnum at all, Charming Veil on a Telepath is incredibly mean.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.